The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Feb 18, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #151 of 419

USB power also doesn't vary by motherboard.  I wouldn't recommend buying a DAC/amp based on your motherboard.  After all, the point of buying a DAC is to bypass the motherboard in the first place!

I cannot give you any opinions on the Schiit stack, but fjrabon seems to got you covered :)

Haha yeah, i mention my mobo because someone calling for USB power. I dont worry about the power since i got a decent rig setup. Gtx980ti will cover them all xD

Thank anyways! :D

I think uber is worth it on both modi and magni.

Oh really? Nice one. I can spend that much bucks if they are worth the price. 

Btw, can the Schiit Uber stack play audio from an Ipad or something too?

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #152 of 419
  Haha yeah, i mention my mobo because someone calling for USB power. I dont worry about the power since i got a decent rig setup. Gtx980ti will cover them all xD

Thank anyways! :D

Oh really? Nice one. I can spend that much bucks if they are worth the price. 

Btw, can the Schiit Uber stack play audio from an Ipad or something too?

I was actually wrong earlier, it's possible, but you will need: Camera connection kit + powered USB hub (or Schiit wyrd) since even though the Modi uber has a wall wart, the USB hub still draws some power.  Just tried it on my friend's M2U stack (that used to be mine) and it's a no-go straight from the CCK, you get the "this device draws too much power" message.

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #153 of 419

I was actually wrong earlier, it's possible, but you will need: Camera connection kit + powered USB hub (or Schiit wyrd) since even though the Modi uber has a wall wart, the USB hub still draws some power.  Just tried it on my friend's M2U stack (that used to be mine) and it's a no-go straight from the CCK, you get the "this device draws too much power" message.

Yes i have the camera adapter. Using now with my Fiio E17K. What do you mean by USB powered? How's the connection will be?

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #154 of 419
  Yes i have the camera adapter. Using now with my Fiio E17K. What do you mean by USB powered? How's the connection will be?

apparently the analog stage is powered by the wall-wart, but the actual DAC is powered by the USB bus.  iPhones can't provide any power to external sources.

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #155 of 419

apparently the analog stage is powered by the wall-wart, but the actual DAC is powered by the USB bus.  iPhones can't provide any power to external sources.

Still cant imagine how the setup would be? :O

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #156 of 419
  Still cant imagine how the setup would be? :O

iPhone/iPad -> CCK -> powered USB hub -> Modi2 Uber -> Magni 2 Uber -> headphones

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #157 of 419
Mar 12, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #159 of 419
  How do you think the X00 performs with the Schiit Fulla? Im looking at the Dacport Slim atm, would it be any better than the fulla ?

It should do well with the X00. To me, the Slim is essentially a better version of the Fulla so I'd go with the Slim (slightly more powerful, capable and with better ergonomics). Somewhat underrated device as far as portable sub-$100 DAC/Amps go. The Slim paired very well with my more demanding K7XX. You'd need a 1/4 in to 1/8 in adapter for the X00 though; well something better than the bundled Monoprice one.

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #160 of 419

It should do well with the X00. To me, the Slim is essentially a better version of the Fulla so I'd go with the Slim (slightly more powerful, capable and with better ergonomics). Somewhat underrated device as far as portable sub-$100 DAC/Amps go. The Slim paired very well with my more demanding K7XX. You'd need a 1/4 in to 1/8 in adapter for the X00 though; well something better than the bundled Monoprice one.

which adapter would u recommend?

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #161 of 419
These two are well-received (less strain on jack):

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor/dp/B001DK1ZVO

or

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Adapter-Female-6-3mm-3-5mm/dp/B008JGWY2Y

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #163 of 419
Keeping in mind that I haven't used these particular adapters before, most people seem to be happy with either. Unless it's defective, I think it should be fine (i.e. no noticeable effect).

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #164 of 419
Regards Fostex X Massdrop portable use...

I had participated recently at a local head-fi meeting , we had tried most hi-fi and several high-end DAPs and mini-setups. 

* Colorlfy C4 Pro
* QLS QA360
* Cayin N6
* Cayin N5
* Fiio X7 (Biggest dissapointment, so far)
* Fiio X5, X3II, E12 
* Ibasso DX90, DX80, DX50

So, I can tell you, the best euphonic results had been achieved combining Fostex & QLS QA360 Dap. Highly recommended. The DAP has plenty of power to make fostex sing, the overall timber, tonality, resolution and presentation are just perfect for my taste. Fostex are some colored, fun sounding headphones . QLS deliver huge , layered soundstage with lot of air and control, frequency response is flat but very well extended. Plenty of sub-bass, fast mid-bass, seductive midrange, detailed but never hearsh treble - eargasm guaranteed.

So, if you have 1000$ to spend on a portable high-end office solution - go for QLS QA360 + Fostex X Massdrop.  

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #165 of 419
Regards Fostex X Massdrop portable use...

I had participated recently at a local head-fi meeting , we had tried most hi-fi and several high-end DAPs and mini-setups. 

* Colorlfy C4 Pro
* QLS QA360
* Cayin N6
* Cayin N5
* Fiio X7 (Biggest dissapointment, so far)
* Fiio X5, X3II, E12 
* Ibasso DX90, DX80, DX50

So, I can tell you, the best euphonic results had been achieved combining Fostex & QLS QA360 Dap. Highly recommended. The DAP has plenty of power to make fostex sing, the overall timber, tonality, resolution and presentation are just perfect for my taste. Fostex are some colored, fun sounding headphones . QLS deliver huge , layered soundstage with lot of air and control, frequency response is flat but very well extended. Plenty of sub-bass, fast mid-bass, seductive midrange, detailed but never hearsh treble - eargasm guaranteed.

So, if you have 1000$ to spend on a portable high-end office solution - go for QLS QA360 + Fostex X Massdrop.  

To be honest, I personally would never use them portablly because of the fragile finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back