The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Mar 19, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #167 of 419
Unrelated to the case above: I had never tried the TH-X00 with a tube amp. I feel like these were made for tubes. Any edginess in the upper mids can be taken care of with the right tube.

Really enjoying them out of the Garage1217 Project Horizon III right now, though I bet the Project Sunrise III would be better for them given the impedance of the headphones (I have one of those too, it's just at work).

MHDT Labs Atlantis using a GE 5670 Triple Mica tube (currently White 5 Star) and Garage1217 Project Horizon III w/ Supercharger and a 6N6P tube.

Excellent pairing to say the least. Something about the R-2R dac chip, non-oversampling, tubes, and a class a OTL amp can really make the TH-X00 sing.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #168 of 419
Hello all, just wanted to share some info about an "issue"? I just experienced with my set of X00s. Recently I've found that when playing a hard bass hit or listening to a low sine wave, I had an odd buzzing in the left earcup. It was definitely not a part of the track and was not an artifact coming from my amp or DAC. 

I had a hunch, so I removed the earpad, tightened all the screws I could see, and the buzzing is now gone. So, if something like this happens with your set, be sure to check the screws first. Or, loosen the screws for an ear tickling buzz when listening to EDM.

Cheers!

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #170 of 419
Just for fun, it's asking a lot, with 8 similar models, but anyway...

Would love to see Tyell himself at InnerFidelity do a comparative review of listening & measurement testing for -

Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany, TH-X00 Purpleheart, TH600, TH610, TH900, E-MU Teak, E-MU Rosewood and E-MU Ebony.

Some differences may be very fine with acute listening. Think he may have already done TH600 and TH900, but would be cool to put them back in the mix for an overall comprehensive summary.

Think it would be interesting, yet very picky-close in characteristics.

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #172 of 419
+1 would be a great comparison; very fine details among the group of 8 vary; measurements would help. TH900 may be the king, Teak may be most linear.

Innerfidelity type measurements tell us alot - frequency response, 30 Hz sq wave, 300 Hz sq wave, %THD, noise at 90 & 100 db, and impulse response, plus Ty's golden ears.

Dunno the exact sorting of the drivers, but surely others here do; there's been some discussion of it.

So far we have 2 threads on head-fi and 2 threads on massdrop for th-x00, a massdrop thread for e-mu teak versions, and a head-fi thread for e-mu.

On the head-fi threads, the "search this thread" function is cool; maybe an input of "drivers" will narrow down all the pages & posts of looking.

emailed chan at e-mu & he is very receptive to testing the 4 wood types - bloodwood (may be the best I'm thinking), bocote, cocobolo and padauk; had posted this on e-mu thread, for sonic properties, not appearance.

I don't sell wood, just hoping for the "ultimate reference".

PS -
In addition to owning TH-X00 Mahogany, have Sony CD3000, and feel Sony's pure organic biocellulose sounds better (was also more costly to produce) than the hybrid-synthetic biocell Foster uses - the substrate and manufacturing process differs, but Foster unlocked a less expensive method & it's good to have a new maker again so we can enjoy new models.

Luther Vandross when living owned 2 sets of CD3000: says a lot for midrange resolution and also conveying his depth and high register vocal capabilities. CD3000 was a step down from famous MDR-R10 (BH/BL). Drivers differed a bit. The R-10 used Zelkova wood cups and the CD3000 used a composite vegan synthetic cup for uniformity (not wood). A buddy who also owns CD3000 does A-B them to his Sennheiser HD800 and says either one wins at different times. IMO the CD3000 is a baseline reference for E-MU Teak series to aspire to in looking for a linear presentation of reference, & reason why I also bought E-MU (Teak) Rosewood version, plus they are brand new !

The TH-X00 Mahogany add a new signature to my collection & needed that presentation. It is interesting to see how the E-MU Teak will sound.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #173 of 419
I'm interested in joining the new drop for the Purple Heart version. I was wondering, did anyone pay with PayPal, and did they take the money up front?  I'm using my "mad" funds and move money in and out of that account a lot. So, I don't want to join the drop and screw myself by forgetting about keeping funds aside when the time comes; especially since it is months away. If PayPal pulls it out immediately, that is the direction I'm going with.

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #174 of 419
  I'm interested in joining the new drop for the Purple Heart version. I was wondering, did anyone pay with PayPal, and did they take the money up front?  I'm using my "mad" funds and move money in and out of that account a lot. So, I don't want to join the drop and screw myself by forgetting about keeping funds aside when the time comes; especially since it is months away. If PayPal pulls it out immediately, that is the direction I'm going with.

I believe I read somewhere that the CC (or Paypal) is charged at the time the drop ends.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #175 of 419
That's correct

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #177 of 419
Apr 14, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #178 of 419
hey, do you guys think this will pair well with the Fostex HP-A4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back