The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Feb 16, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #136 of 419
If you get the Modi2 or Modi2 Uber, you will NEED to also buy the Magni 2 or another standalone amp, since the Modi is only a DAC and has RCA outputs with no volume control.

As far as increasing soundstage and bass, over what? These two little guys are a massive step up over motherboard connections on a PC or even a PCI sound card. So they will in all likelyhood sound better than your current setup if you don't have a dedicated headphone DAC/amp rig.

If you're looking for a guaranteed bass increase, I think ifI has a few amps with hardware based bass boost functionality.

I have Fiio E17k and planning to get K5 as a Dock. Which one will be better?

If schiit is better, I can sell my current e17k and get the Stack

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #137 of 419
  I have Fiio E17k and planning to get K5 as a Dock. Which one will be better?

If schiit is better, I can sell my current e17k and get the Stack

While I've not heard the e17K or K5, the Schiit stack is much clearer and more detailed than my E07K was.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #138 of 419

While I've not heard the e17K or K5, the Schiit stack is much clearer and more detailed than my E07K was.

How about its bass? Cuz im also concern about EDM songs :) i mean with schiit

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #139 of 419
  How about its bass? Cuz im also concern about EDM songs :) i mean with schiit

With any setup that provides sufficient power, the X00's will have ample bass. On my setup, the amount of bass that is coming out is only second to a setup in a car with 14" subs, in my experience.

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #140 of 419
With any setup that provides sufficient power, the X00's will have ample bass. On my setup, the amount of bass that is coming out is only second to a setup in a car with 14" subs, in my experience.

Meaning, magni modi will provide a better soundstage?
What i should i get? Both uber version, or only modi uber?

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #142 of 419
Meaning, magni modi will provide a better soundstage?
What i should i get? Both uber version, or only modi uber?

That's what I've heard people say, but in the end, all of this sound and music stuff is subjective, so the only way for you yourself to find out if it really has a better soundstage for your ears is to try it out for yourself. They have a nice 15-day return policy. Fortunately I was more than happy with my Vali 2 so I didn't have to bother returning it. Will report in the Modi 2 thread once I get it if there's a huge difference from my mobo audio. 

As for Uber versions, it depends on what you need. If you're just using this with 1.) Headphones and 2.) PC with USB ports, then both non-Ubers will do fine. Though, if you're skeptical about your PC providing clean USB power, I'd suggest going with a Modi 2 Uber and running the power from the wall wart. And it goes without saying, the Uber version of the Modi also if you plan to use TOSLINK or RCA inputs as well. As for the Magni 2 Uber, you only need it if you want the extra RCA outs to go to powered speakers. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #143 of 419
The uber versions are unnecessary, but you may want the extra features they have.
The uber versions are unnecessary, but you may want the extra features they have.

That's what I've heard people say, but in the end, all of this sound and music stuff is subjective, so the only way for you yourself to find out if it really has a better soundstage for your ears is to try it out for yourself. They have a nice 15-day return policy. Fortunately I was more than happy with my Vali 2 so I didn't have to bother returning it. Will report in the Modi 2 thread once I get it if there's a huge difference from my mobo audio. 

As for Uber versions, it depends on what you need. If you're just using this with 1.) Headphones and 2.) PC with USB ports, then both non-Ubers will do fine. Though, if you're skeptical about your PC providing clean USB power, I'd suggest going with a Modi 2 Uber and running the power from the wall wart. And it goes without saying, the Uber version of the Modi also if you plan to use TOSLINK or RCA inputs as well. As for the Magni 2 Uber, you only need it if you want the extra RCA outs to go to powered speakers. 

Nice infos. If there is no sound difference within Uber. I do rather pick cheaper one since my mobo is quite good. It is Asus Maximus Hero. Even can return? WOW! I will wait my friend K5 this Friday too and yeah my Th X00 months to go LOL

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #145 of 419

eh, the modi uber has the benefit of the USB being data only, which allows for theoretically cleaner audio due to not having power and audio in the cable, plus a more stable power supply (probably the bigger issue).  may not be a huge difference, as I never tried out the non-uber version, but it's at least a theoretical superiority in sound quality for the Uber.  Also with the uber version you can feed a phone as the source, as in that configuration the DAC draws no power.  On the flip side the Uber requires a wall wart, so that might be a negative depending on your power outlet options.  This is another huge benefit of the m9XX, that it can run as wall powered with no USB power draw or USB bus powered.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #146 of 419
Anyone ever compare the Uber to the MB? I never owned the two at the same time because I upgrade Bifrost Uber -> MB ($750 Bifrost.. I got it at $500 new for the Uber upgrade... then $250 upgrade to the MB). My experience was that the Uber sounded terrible compared to the Theta DAC I got in May 2015. No soundstage, boxy, guitars and instruments sounded more distant.. narrower volume sweet spot.. then the Theta came - WIDE open soundstage, instruments sound like instruments, none of that boxy garbage or etchy treble.

So far I could only compare MB to the Theta. I still prefer the Theta by a slight magin, but gone was the boxy soundstage of the Uber and replaced by the massive soundstage and separation of the MB w/ it's SHARC DSP megaburrito filter.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #147 of 419
Feb 17, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #148 of 419
eh, the modi uber has the benefit of the USB being data only, which allows for theoretically cleaner audio due to not having power and audio in the cable, plus a more stable power supply (probably the bigger issue).  may not be a huge difference, as I never tried out the non-uber version, but it's at least a theoretical superiority in sound quality for the Uber.  Also with the uber version you can feed a phone as the source, as in that configuration the DAC draws no power.  On the flip side the Uber requires a wall wart, so that might be a negative depending on your power outlet options.  This is another huge benefit of the m9XX, that it can run as wall powered with no USB power draw or USB bus powered.

So which combo should i get? Both uber or only Modi Uber and normal Magni?

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #149 of 419
Feb 18, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #150 of 419
I mean about the usb power.
smily_headphones1.gif

USB power also doesn't vary by motherboard.  I wouldn't recommend buying a DAC/amp based on your motherboard.  After all, the point of buying a DAC is to bypass the motherboard in the first place!

I cannot give you any opinions on the Schiit stack, but fjrabon seems to got you covered :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back