The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #976 of 1,040
Wow, it's crazy how much details are in this game. There is so much in this game, and it's quite overwhelming starting out. No wonder they simplified it with Final Fantasy Tactics. But man, it's crazy how somebody thought of us this in such details. Also, the character designs and all that is not corny like the usual jrpgs. I really like their character designs and names. Very good world design.

There some good points to this game like non-corny characters/plot, so it's different from the stereotypical (it's not the typical jrpg with bland anime characters with pointless dialog). So much details with so many class/build/equipemnt options. This is kinda like Dark Souls/Elden Ring weapon/equipment, and attribute stats before those games came to being. This game did the complex mechanics before FromSoft RPGs. It's just that, it's a SRPG genre instread of ARPG.

The art design is great. Great character designs.

There's some negatives to this game as well:

There is too much options that it becomes overwhelming. You have to keep your gear updated and it's very time consuming due to how they designed it.

This game had crafting before Elden Ring, yes. And the crafting is useless like in Elden Ring, and it's real nuisance. They didn't design it to be time efficient. Waste of time.

Leveling up is wonky, and feels very unbalanced. The game feels too easy. This really brings down the game.

The stages where battles take places gets quite repetitive. They could have spiced up the scenarios in the stages, and make them more unique for better experience.

Magic isn't so great in this game, and this is how FFT improved the way magic was done. Lots of the later classes are pretty much worthless. I wish they balanced it out a bit.

FFT has summons too! Magic just looks and feels much better, and its' powerful!

Random battles can be really tough due to if you one of your class/character is leveled up really high and others lower, the enemy will be leveled to match that single high leveled character. On the other hand, the story battle's enemy levels are fixed, so often times they are too easy because they are under-leveled.

The game just have has too much micromanaging of things which takes away from the fun.

The best version to play is the PSP version. There is also a moded version called 'One Vision,' and supposedly the game is tweaked to be more balanced, but it probably has different type of balance issues due to the tweaks.

Another thing that sucks is that there are interesting classes I can't get access to because they are limited to certain characters that you have to rescue during battles, but they are usually too squashy, and die fast. Too bad because I just luv the design of the classes/characters. It would be cool if they update the graphics to make them look like the artwork.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #977 of 1,040
Ok, finally something interesting happens in Tactics Ogre. The main protagonist becomes a Lord! I like the class being lord, it sounds cool. They have some cool class names in this game like Enchantress, Rune Fencer, Terror Knight, Berserker, Divine Knight, Songstress, Ranger, Wicce, Paladin, Astromancer. Very creative with class names. Also, I played majority of the game without knowing anything about finishing moves. Finishing moves make this game a lot more interesting! There are so much details to grasp. No wonder people do multiple playthroughs like Dark Souls.

This game predated Dark Souls/Eden Ring and there are so many stats/attributes involved in the game like weapon weight. I have no idea what that does! lol.

This game has freakin power stance! This game predated Dark Souls/Elden Ring!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #979 of 1,040
Hey, I wanna get into JRPGs. Any suggestions?
Just Google top Jrpgs or look up people's rankings on reddit. That will give you good statistics of games to start out with.

I'm not much of a fan of anime lookin JRPGs anymore. I'm into Souls-likes which includes JRPGs like Dark Souls series and Elden Ring, both which I highly recommend (and are critically acclaimed). Main types of old school jrpgs I like are tactics types like Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, or Triangle Strategy (I hate the long dialogs, waste of time). Two other old schools I really like are Terranigma and Alundra. Very much into action jrpgs or tactical stuff.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #980 of 1,040
I'm super happy Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is out on PS4/5. I mean, I still have a copy of the PSP version, but was waiting for the game to come back to current gen.

Have been absolutely hooked this week on it. Still one of my top 10 fave JRPGs of all time.

A full remake would be amazing, in which they could flesh out the characters you collect. Think iof Suikoden, but every character you collect has a legitimate backstory that plays out before you recruit them. And some are so sad.

It's always been the best part of this game, and they sadly stepped back from it in Part 2, which they had little to no backstory.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #981 of 1,040
I'm super happy Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is out on PS4/5. I mean, I still have a copy of the PSP version, but was waiting for the game to come back to current gen.

Have been absolutely hooked this week on it. Still one of my top 10 fave JRPGs of all time.

A full remake would be amazing, in which they could flesh out the characters you collect. Think iof Suikoden, but every character you collect has a legitimate backstory that plays out before you recruit them. And some are so sad.

It's always been the best part of this game, and they sadly stepped back from it in Part 2, which they had little to no backstory.
Thx for reminding me.
I preordered it few months ago, but forgot about it when it was postponed

Jan 7, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #983 of 1,040
My fav JRPG from back in the says is Terraenigma, and this is the story of the studio behind that game. Interesting docu about them. Terraenigma is the only game I liked from them. We can say they were early adopters of Souls-like combat

People say bubble economy is bad, but Japanese bubble economy had designers with high budget and freedom to experiment, which resulted in rich content variety.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #984 of 1,040
Started on Fire Emblem Engage, but didn't get very far on Maddening difficulty. This game is very hard on Maddening. I was banging my head on the Chapter 5 battle. Huge difficulty spike.

This game takes some getting used to since the mechanics are different from Tactics games (Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics). Actually, the mechanics makes you think many movies ahead of time, or you'd get gotten. It's closer to chess when it comes to strategy. Tactics games are simpler, doesn't take as much planning as this game.

I like the battles, it's very engaging, but it's also very infuriatingly challenging on Maddening difficulty. Everything has to be perfectly planned out.

I don't like the story or the costume design. It's very candy colored, and too much of an anime style. Also, the story is very cliche JRPG style. Even if I'm not into anime style, I like the character art design. I like the way the characters are expressed.

It has the typical mundane JRPG tasks in the hub. That made me give up 3 houses, and this one seem to have similar dumb things, but not as bad. They just waste time. I don't know why JRPGs are designed with such boring side activities.

This game doesn't seem to tell you whole on how to play. You'd have to dig into and figure it out yourself. This guy gives a great guide.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #985 of 1,040
Started on Fire Emblem Engage, but didn't get very far on Maddening difficulty. This game is very hard on Maddening. I was banging my head on the Chapter 5 battle. Huge difficulty spike.

This game takes some getting used to since the mechanics are different from Tactics games (Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics). Actually, the mechanics makes you think many movies ahead of time, or you'd get gotten. It's closer to chess when it comes to strategy. Tactics games are simpler, doesn't take as much planning as this game.

I like the battles, it's very engaging, but it's also very infuriatingly challenging on Maddening difficulty. Everything has to be perfectly planned out.

I don't like the story or the costume design. It's very candy colored, and too much of an anime style. Also, the story is very cliche JRPG style. Even if I'm not into anime style, I like the character art design. I like the way the characters are expressed.

It has the typical mundane JRPG tasks in the hub. That made me give up 3 houses, and this one seem to have similar dumb things, but not as bad. They just waste time. I don't know why JRPGs are designed with such boring side activities.

This game doesn't seem to tell you whole on how to play. You'd have to dig into and figure it out yourself. This guy gives a great guide.

We really need to evolved from the dumb classic JRPG design insensibilities. Why have a virtual hub? Just put it in a menu so we can do it between battles in the map.

Tactics Ogre is very practical in how they do this. Why do I got run around to change something for a menu item? Just put it in a menu so I can just quickly access it! Why is there cooking? I hate cooking. Do all Jrpgs have to add cooking and fishing. It's a dumb mechanic. Not worth the time.

Please be practical like Tactics games. I hate these weeb crap.

This is why I play games that's practical with little to no nonsense. Soulsborne or Tactics. JRPGs are just corny crap. It's one thing that I got to get through corny dialog that has no substance.

Just give me battles and in between battles menu so I can change stuff needed for battles. I don't need a corny story or a stupid virtual hub that I got to run around for no reason.

this battle prep theme is quite good. This is how battle games should compose. It makes you feel like you want to take action. It's pretty cool with the characters poses on display. I think the character poses are done in an interesting way to diversify the characterizations.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #986 of 1,040
Star Ocean: The Devine Force

Another tropie JRPG. You get a XXL wide open space world with hardly anything occupying it like Xenoblade Chronicles style, and you go from town to town. You buy items in towns. Do this over and over again (make the town look different, but have the same thing. An Inn, and an item shop. lol), and you have a JRPG formula! Oh the dialog has to be really cheezy as well. Characters has to blurt out stuff that's has no relavence whatsoever. The story is typical JRPG trope. When I got to one town that had a port, and there was an issue of not being able to get on the boat, I was thinking, this happens in every JRPG game! lol And the girls faces has to look really cute and have big boobs to add character. Nice.

Boobs
FZ5A4bWUcAQei4O.jpg

This is basically like Tales of Arise. Looking back, Tales of Arise was a very avg game with JRPG tropes. And the dialog. So much dialog that has absolutely nothing in it.

Seriously, they need to come up with something different. It gets old. It was ok in the SNES/PS1 golden age era, but the formula gets old after awhile. You can't keep doing the same formula for 40 years. Things has to evolve for the better. And it has evolved to Soulsborne/Nioh games (which by the way are JRPGs (Japanese role playing games since they are from Japan and are role playing games)).

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #987 of 1,040
Star Ocean: The Devine Force

Another tropie JRPG. You get a XXL wide open space world with hardly anything occupying it like Xenoblade Chronicles style, and you go from town to town. You buy items in towns. Do this over and over again (make the town look different, but have the same thing. An Inn, and an item shop. lol), and you have a JRPG formula! Oh the dialog has to be really cheezy as well. Characters has to blurt out stuff that's has no relavence whatsoever. The story is typical JRPG trope. When I got to one town that had a port, and there was an issue of not being able to get on the boat, I was thinking, this happens in every JRPG game! lol And the girls faces has to look really cute and have big boobs to add character. Nice.

Boobs

This is basically like Tales of Arise. Looking back, Tales of Arise was a very avg game with JRPG tropes. And the dialog. So much dialog that has absolutely nothing in it.

Seriously, they need to come up with something different. It gets old. It was ok in the SNES/PS1 golden age era, but the formula gets old after awhile. You can't keep doing the same formula for 40 years. Things has to evolve for the better. And it has evolved to Soulsborne/Nioh games (which by the way are JRPGs (Japanese role playing games since they are from Japan and are role playing games)).
Soulsborne and jrpgs are totally different genres though. It's not like one is an Evolution of the other.a

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #988 of 1,040
Was thinking of getting Bravely Default II on PC.

Any experience with this one, guys?

May 24, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #990 of 1,040
Dragon's Dogma 2. Is this a JRPG? Is FF16 a JRPG? What is a JRPG? lol Looks pretty much like DD1, in which I didn't like so much. I was hoping they go toward the direction of Dark Souls/Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back