The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Apr 27, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #961 of 1,043
I was merely giving you a take that opposed yours, so you understand how annoying it is.

I don't dislike souls games, and had it not been for your constant complaints about stuff we like, I wouldn't have even brought it up.

Let's move on.

If you love Soulsborne, please just go make a Soulslike Thread. It will be better served having its own thread, as nowadays, it's essentially its own genre. A huge genre, at that. I'd argue that Soulslike as a sub-genre has surpassed traditional JRPGs in popularity by a huge factor.

There's an endless amount of new Soulslikes to discuss.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #962 of 1,043
I was merely giving you a take that opposed yours, so you understand how annoying it is.

I don't dislike souls games, and had it not been for your constant complaints about stuff we like, I wouldn't have even brought it up.

Let's move on.

If you love Soulsborne, please just go make a Soulslike Thread. It will be better served having its own thread, as nowadays, it's essentially its own genre. A huge genre, at that. I'd argue that Soulslike as a sub-genre has surpassed traditional JRPGs in popularity by a huge factor.

There's an endless amount of new Soulslikes to discuss.
Yeah, let's move on. I was getting dejavu of your 5XX thread, where posts of opposing your views weren't welcomed. Like, "this is my thread, and it will be only rainbows and flowers!"

You assume stuff. I like From Soft Souls-like games, but could care like what your opinions on them are. I criticize aspects I don't like about them. Just because I enjoy them doesn't mean I'm not critical.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #963 of 1,043
If you want to continue talking about me, you can take it up with me directly. But really I prefer you didn't, as I don't care to proceed further.

Let's keep this thread on track, and not failed bait attempts. I'll just put you on ignore to keep this from regressing.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #964 of 1,043
Man, so playing Tales of Arise, nearing the end, I just start getting annoyed by the constant bombardment of skits. It really ruins the pace of the game.

People will say, well they are optional. Sure, that's a legitimate statement. However, I feel that you lose out a lot of character interactions and growth, so I find them worth listening to even if they are annoyjngly placed. I just wish they would've done what most games do, and have them play a lot of the skits out while you're traversing the world. You know, just talking. They do that for a lot of voice interactions, but they think we need skits for 90% of the interactions.

You literally sit there for 5+ minutes at a time, as skits play out. Sometimes much longer if you let them play out without speeding up lines.

Yes, it's an old Tales mechanic since Phantasia, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.

For the next one, please make them interact via voices in realtime, unless it's a highly animated skit, which the vast majority weren't.

Near the end when you 'travel', I swear it's about 4hrs of just talking and cutscenes, and skits, and SOME gameplay. Like it is HORRIBLY paced. I'd give the a game a solid 8/10 it's great, and sometimes fantastic, but this... really cheapens the experience.

This is coming from someone who LOVES to talk to everyone, all NPCs, and do all sidequests in JRPGs.

I also don't think JRPGS need everything to be voiced. Sometimes you read so much faster than they talk, and I feel a lot of these cutscenes could've been just normal textboxes. It would pick up the speed of the game too.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #965 of 1,043
I hated Tales of Arise's unnecessary cutscenes and dialog. I just couldn't stand them. I generally don't like dialog in Tales games, but Arise's dialogs are just ridiculous.

The combat looks flashy, but it gets repetitive after awhile.

Right now I'm playing Triangle Strategy and I'm digging it. It too has a lots of dialog scenes, but I find that the story isn't so bad like Tales games. Dialog in Triangle Strategy is just necessary for the plot, and I'm digging the plot. Also, the dialog is written fairly well unlike Tales games. I got this game for the tactical combat, and the dialog scenes just really hold me back from getting into the battle right away. That's the only qualms I have about dialog scenes.

What I like most about it is the battles. I get very engaged to tactical battles systems. I luv'd Final Fantasy Tactics and this continues the legacy well.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #966 of 1,043
Right now I'm playing Triangle Strategy and I'm digging it. It too has a lots of dialog scenes, but I find that the story isn't so bad like Tales games. Dialog in Triangle Strategy is just necessary for the plot, and I'm digging the plot. Also, the dialog is written fairly well unlike Tales games. I got this game for the tactical combat, and the dialog scenes just really hold me back from getting into the battle right away. That's the only qualms I have about dialog scenes.

What I like most about it is the battles. I get very engaged to tactical battles systems. I luv'd Final Fantasy Tactics and this continues the legacy well.

The story gets more and more dull as it's just support for the battles that occur. It's nothing more than that. I like the early development with Frederika's background, but that was pushed aside to develop the conflicts between the different states and houses. Which I get because it is a strategy game, but story becomes quite dull.

So, I wish I can just fast forward the large clumps of dialog, but the mechanic made it a real nuisance from skipping the dialog quickly. They put in some conviction mechanics I could care less for. I just want the battles, but this turned into another jrpg unnecessary forcing to get through uninteresting dialog crap. Why did they do this?

The game battles are long enough as it is. I don't need long dialogs to waste more of my time. They are not doing any favors with the story.

Also, what I really dislike is that the character you recruit depends on what path you pick with convictions. I had a battle I could only use 9/10 characters because I only had 9 because I didn't recruit a character. I wasn't even aware there was opportunity to recruit the character. I find this really dumb. So, you can miss on recruiting characters in this game, and they want you to do another playthrough to get those characters and the true ending. Yeah, I hate this trend. I don't like to repeat stuff I went through.

Also, there are times when you talk to npcs, and you can pick up items. Sometimes they are not noticeable. I just find this odd how they did this. There could have been a better way to give random loot. There are somethings the designer of Octopath gets really wrong. Octopath was great in all respects expect the auto ramping of difficulty by the AI. It will scale with your leveling, which is unheard of in RPGs, and there's reasons why nobody ever goes there. What is the point of leveling up then?

Final Fantasy Tactics had none of this annoying crap. Sometimes designers think they are doing cool stuff, but they are really not. They are just adding garbage to a well thought out concepts.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #967 of 1,043
Dragon's Dogma 2 announced! I hope it's designed like a souls-like given the success of Elden Ring. I hope it's single player like From Soft games and gets rid of the pawn system.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #968 of 1,043
Man, so playing Tales of Arise, nearing the end, I just start getting annoyed by the constant bombardment of skits. It really ruins the pace of the game.

People will say, well they are optional. Sure, that's a legitimate statement. However, I feel that you lose out a lot of character interactions and growth, so I find them worth listening to even if they are annoyjngly placed. I just wish they would've done what most games do, and have them play a lot of the skits out while you're traversing the world. You know, just talking. They do that for a lot of voice interactions, but they think we need skits for 90% of the interactions.

You literally sit there for 5+ minutes at a time, as skits play out. Sometimes much longer if you let them play out without speeding up lines.

Yes, it's an old Tales mechanic since Phantasia, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.

For the next one, please make them interact via voices in realtime, unless it's a highly animated skit, which the vast majority weren't.

Near the end when you 'travel', I swear it's about 4hrs of just talking and cutscenes, and skits, and SOME gameplay. Like it is HORRIBLY paced. I'd give the a game a solid 8/10 it's great, and sometimes fantastic, but this... really cheapens the experience.

This is coming from someone who LOVES to talk to everyone, all NPCs, and do all sidequests in JRPGs.

I also don't think JRPGS need everything to be voiced. Sometimes you read so much faster than they talk, and I feel a lot of these cutscenes could've been just normal textboxes. It would pick up the speed of the game too.

Tales of Arise felt kind of rushed and badly paced at the end to me and story wise I felt it wasn't as good as the previous entry Tales of Berseria; which is my favorite Tales of game. If Arise handled the last section of the game better I would've rated it better than I did. Honestly the skits are annoying at times. I also found the combat got annoying after a while.

Recently played FF7 Remake: Intergrade, enjoyed the game in some ways, combat was fun, graphics nice for the most part, and story wasn't bad, but talk about corridor syndrome and it felt too much like an interactive movie at times. I hope they expand the world in the next one, don't want to deal with that overly on-rails world again. I don't mind linear, but that was too much. But honestly been too spoiled by FFXIV, it's honestly the best modern FF game despite being an MMO and it gives me high hopes the FFXIV lead has a hand in FFXVI. Hopefully FFXVI makes the single-player FF games truly good again.

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #969 of 1,043
I really enjoyed Blossom Tales which is a clone of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

So, I decided to play ZALTTP. And I thought Dark Souls was an obtuse game. This game is super obtuse. The introductory part of the game includes obtuse secrets in order to progress. Some of these secrets are ridiculous. You would be running around for hours trying to figure them out because they are so obtuse. And I thought La Mulana was bad.

I think old games are generally like this.

So far, I really don't like ZALTTP. The obtuse secrets to progress puts a real damper on the fun of the game. I was hoping at the secrets would be well designed, but not so obtuse.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #971 of 1,043
Dragon's Dogma 2 announced! I hope it's designed like a souls-like given the success of Elden Ring. I hope it's single player like From Soft games and gets rid of the pawn system.

Ok, I'm playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, and it's great! I gave it a 2nd chance because I didn't like the first time I tried it because the way the game introduces itself makes the game seem bland. When you get past the early training/intro area is when it starts to rock. When I started doing the huge dungeon, I am mesmerized. So much details in the dungeon. I can tell there's a lot of work went into this game. This is a huge sleeper hit.

I never thought a group action game would be so much fun! Combat isn't as tight or deep as Fromsoft games, but that's ok, the group action dynamics is very cool!

It's different from Dark Souls in a good way. Very fun!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #972 of 1,043
Ok, I'm playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, and it's great! I gave it a 2nd chance because I didn't like the first time I tried it because the way the game introduces itself makes the game seem bland. When you get past the early training/intro area is when it starts to rock. When I started doing the huge dungeon, I am mesmerized. So much details in the dungeon. I can tell there's a lot of work went into this game. This is a huge sleeper hit.

I never thought a group action game would be so much fun! Combat isn't as tight or deep as Fromsoft games, but that's ok, the group action dynamics is very cool!

It's different from Dark Souls in a good way. Very fun!

Actually, It was the DLC I've accidently entered after the bland intro of a game, and it seemed interesting until I found out that I was at the wrong place for my low leveling.

The DLC is called Bitterblack Isle, and it seems worthwhile. Regular game is so mundane. You run around fighting packs of wolves and harpies over and over and over again. Borrinnggg....

The DLC is pretty good because they try to make it like Dark Souls (feeling the danger and helplessness in the dungeon), but the regular game just sucks! I played more of the regular, non-DLC game and I can't stand it's cliche game mechanics. It's typical run around and do this, do that, bs. I hate those mundane task games. It's just a waste time. To top it off, the quests are just poorly designed, and just confuses you.

Also, the dungeon designs arn't even that great. It gets dull fast. Combat is old style hack and slash with no system to it. It's very dumb. When I had to fight the griffin, that's when I realized this game really sucks. I play a warrior with a big sword like Guts from Berserk, and the Griffin will just float around and never come down. What?!! This is just dumb game mechanics. And the pawns, or your team-mates would keep shouting, "shoot the wings!" I can't shoot the wings! I'm a warrior!!! There is no throught went into such consequences of the combat.

It's a fake Western RPG looking game. At it's core, it has the lame cliche JRPG mechanics. Run around with a party do dumb errands.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #973 of 1,043
I'll leave this here. One of the best jrpgs ever! Never say this isn't a jrpg because it don't have the anime looking characters and has more of a western rpg aesthetics. It's basically castlevania in 3D form. It's very Japanese due to being like a metroidvania. People say that the game 'Control' is a 3d metroidvania, and this one is not?! This game is more of a metroidvania than the crappy 'Control' game. No other game (Besides metroid prime series, and other Fromsoft titles) has done metroidvania in 3d so well. The game that has revolutionized modern gaming. Pretty much majority of recent games previewed have some sort of souls-like elements.

When we look back at past Zelda games given todays standards set by Fromsoft games, 3d zelda games aged very poorly. How less good a game seems is a matter of something else creating a higher standard. If something sets a higher bar, others becomes lower in quality. But man, zelda games seem so cheezy given today's standards.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #974 of 1,043
I recently tried the demo of The Diofield Chronicle and I dig it. It's tagged as 'strategy RPG.' It's not quite like FF Tactics, but it has action aspect you find with RTS games, but with heavy emphasis on RPG elements, obtaining skills. There is no building of bases or crap like that you find with RTS, it only has the action/battle part, and which is more of my flavor. I hate building crap. I just like to get to battle. My fav part of Warcraft 3 was running around and attacking things.

I like the tons of skills option you can obtain to have in battles, so that you pick the most optimal ones for circumstances you face. That's the main aspect of combat, deciding the most appropriate skills from different members of your team. These character skills are very fun to use. Summoning creature for attacks are pretty cool, especially when you wipe out a group of enemies in an area. Graphics is underwhelming, but the battles are real fun! If you are into tactical RPGs, I'd give this a try.

I had the same thoughts as this guy

I think the most accurate genre term for this type of game would be 'Japanese Real-Time Tactical Role-Playing Game.'

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #975 of 1,043
Wow, it's crazy how much details are in this game. There is so much in this game, and it's quite overwhelming starting out. No wonder they simplified it with Final Fantasy Tactics. But man, it's crazy how somebody thought of us this in such details. Also, the character designs and all that is not corny like the usual jrpgs. I really like their character designs and names. Very good world design.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back