The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Feb 19, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #946 of 1,043
This one looks to be using the same tech as Octopath traveler for the never been released Japanese SNES game. I think the soundtrack is going to be interesting as Octopath.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #947 of 1,043
I put it here because it's more like Zelda with tinge of Dark Souls, but in isometric perspective.

It's just great. This is the better version of 'Death's Door.' Level designs are fantastic! It's kinda short game compared to a lot of arpgs. I see why Tunic has such high reviews.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #948 of 1,043
I put it here because it's more like Zelda with tinge of Dark Souls, but in isometric perspective.

It's just great. This is the better version of 'Death's Door.' Level designs are fantastic! It's kinda short game compared to a lot of arpgs. I see why Tunic has such high reviews.

It's got a charming art style for sure, it seems like the sort of thing I might get frustrated playing but definitely would enjoy watching someone else play.

Apr 26, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #949 of 1,043
I've been putting in a lot of hours on Tales of Arise. Great stuff.

I still think JRPGs of today are too 'simplistic in either level design, or plot outline'.

Like I don't feel this is as good as Vesperia, or Eternia in terms of getting a sense of traversing the world, but it does still play well, and is a looker of a game.

But really, it makes me wanna play Vesperia right after. I miss the grand scope of JRPGs of old.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #950 of 1,043
I'm pretty much done with traditional turn-based jrpgs. They become too cliche over the years. Corny dialog and stories.

I didn't enjoy Vesperia, and I liked Arise better, but the long corny jrpg dialogs I couldn't stand like the rest of the tales series.

I'm big time into Dark/Demon's Souls, Elden Ring now. Much better production. Lore, dialog, loot designs, art, music. Combat is amazing. I can't enjoy any others games now.

Out with the old, and in to the new. Can't stand weeb designs. Gotten too cliche.

Miyazaki is successful because he's not the jpg pack. He's actually not like anybody in the game industry. He is original, he does what his art dictates. Same goes for Berzerk.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #951 of 1,043
And I'm the polar opposite. I want to go back to traditional JRPGs. I'm tired of all the open world, action based stuff. Wanna go back to classic linear, story driven games. I don't need it to be turn based, but now, story is barely non-existent, and maps are made real big and barren, with points of interest. I'm fed up with this design.

Elden Ring is a little different since the map is well made, though games like this I don't consider JPRGS in any way shape or form. It's an action game with some RPG mechanics.

Tales of Arise goes back a bit to linear maps, but I think they made it too linear (aka FFXIII syndrome, though not as obviously corridor-like), and made them less explorable than something like Vesperia or Eternia.

The story is fairly simple too, which is just something that has been problematic this generation and last. It's weird how 90s rpgs were super dense, while as decades pass, they get more simple in design and story.

Ah well.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #952 of 1,043
And I'm the polar opposite. I want to go back to traditional JRPGs. I'm tired of all the open world, action based stuff. Wanna go back to classic linear, story driven games. I don't need it to be turn based, but now, story is barely non-existent, and maps are made real big and barren, with points of interest. I'm fed up with this design.

Elden Ring is a little different since the map is well made, though games like this I don't consider JPRGS in any way shape or form. It's an action game with some RPG mechanics.

Tales of Arise goes back a bit to linear maps, but I think they made it too linear (aka FFXIII syndrome, though not as obviously corridor-like), and made them less explorable than something like Vesperia or Eternia.

The story is fairly simple too, whgich is just something that has been problematic this generation and last. It's weird how 90s rpgs were super dense, while as decades pass, they get more simple in design and story.

Ah well.
Dragon Quest XI might be right up your alley.

Apr 27, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #953 of 1,043
Dragon Quest XI might be right up your alley.
I tried... it's a bit TOO traditional for me, lol.

Like I put about 30 hrs into it, and just wasn't feeling it.

I'm just happy to go back to Vesperia, as I only played it on launch on 360 back in the day. I started the definitive edition a while back but got sidetracked. I'll restart after Arise.

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #954 of 1,043
DQ 11 was boring like Tales games. I really don't understand what you want to go back to. Vesperia? You want to go back to corny jrpg days? lol Dialog and plot are so corny in all those games.

Those old games are always the same. You fight baddies. Go into town. Go out of town, fight baddies again. Go to another town that is the same thing as old, and keeps repeating.

For modern games, I'm talking about From Soft games. I'm not talking about crappy modern jrpgs like FF7 remake or FF15 or whatever. I really don't care to go back or care for the new stuff. They are all the similar in cheezy weebiness.

I can't play that stuff after experiencing From Soft games. Some old stuff was alright like the original Zelda and Terranigma.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #955 of 1,043
So becasue you don't like it, means I can't like it?

Millions upon millions of people like these 'corny' games.

Vesperia is a beloved entry in the Tales series.

If you don't like it, fair. However you don't need to put down games you don't like. You end up just sounding like a troll.

"My genre is better than yours" is what it sounds like to me. We are all allowed to like different things. I don't put down From Soft's slow paced combat which I think is quite boring and repetitive just because I prefer the fast paced action of Devil May Cry.

This is literally a JRPG thread. Which FromSoft games are definitely not associated with.

Perhaps you can make your Soulsborne Thread and stick to that.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #956 of 1,043
"My genre is better than yours" is what it sounds like to me. We are all allowed to like different things. I don't put down From Soft's slow paced combat which I think is quite boring and repetitive just because I prefer the fast paced action of Devil May Cry.
I'm saying it has lots of cheeze and corniness. lol And obviously I have my preferences.

From Soft combat is slow paced? It's an action rpg. Have you played Bloodborne or Sekiro? It just isn't fashioned like button mashers like Devil May Cry. You say From Soft combat is repitative and what about Devil May Cry? All you have is combination of buttons you mash over and over again. lol. It sounds like you are into combo button mashers, which From Soft games are not. They actually have a much more depth than button mashers. This is why their boss challenges are regarded to be satifying when beaten. It's due to the depth in the combat you develop over time. It is much more skill based than doing same button combos over and over again. That's repetition.

I can see why you mention Vesperia and Devil May Cry. They have repetitive combos. It's different from the combat in From Soft games where you have to learn to dodge and time attacks by watching stamina bar. There's a lot of limitations put into the the combat to challenge you, and greater movesets for combat depth. With Devil May Cry, you just mash button combos. It's a typical modern action game that reinforces lack of challenges.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #957 of 1,043
So... are you just hear to complain about JRPGs in a JRPG thread? If so, there are better ways to spend your time. Perhaps like making a Soulslike appreciation thread, where you can spread the joys of your tastes to anyone that jumps into that thread.

Meanwhile, on the JRPG thread, we like our Tales games, and turn based combat. So your constant complaining about how our tastes are inferior to yours are just gonna annoy everyone else.

Oh... I see you've already made an Elden Ring thread...

In any case to get back on topic and to those that LIKE JRPGs...

what are you guys looking forward to in the near future?

I can't wait for Eiyuuden Chronicle, as Suikoden II is my fave JRPG ever.

Anyone copping Eiyuuden Chronicle Rising? I should be getting that for free as a backer, though it's not a JRPG, but some weird platformer hybrid. The main game is gonna be a traditional JRPG, thankfully.

It's also coming to Game Pass, in case y'all got that.

It's weird, as I feel that this spin off is maybe something that should've happened AFTER the main game garnered an install base and fandom.

I hope it's good otherwise.

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is Playstation 5 back compat with PS1 and PS2 soon. I want to go back to Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 so bad. As well as Star Ocean 2. And Xenogears...and Tales of Destiny...and Legend of Legaia...

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #958 of 1,043
So... are you just hear to complain about JRPGs in a JRPG thread? If so, there are better ways to spend your time. Perhaps like making a Soulslike appreciation thread, where you can spread the joys of your tastes to anyone that jumps into that thread.

Meanwhile, on the JRPG thread, we like our Tales games, and turn based combat. So your constant complaining about how our tastes are inferior to yours are just gonna annoy everyone else.

Oh... I see you've already made an Elden Ring thread...

In any case to get back on topic and to those that LIKE JRPGs...
I'm here to talk about my preference just like you, and this is a thread about jrpgs, which was the topic of discussion. Technically, From Soft games are JRPGs. And discussions can be about dislikes or likes.

I'm looking for original and fresh.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #959 of 1,043
It sounds more like you're hear to bash everyone's preferences.

I created this thread over 10 years ago, mainly to discuss the traditional sense of JRPGs. You know, the ones you hate.

Yes, Elden Ring can be lumped in to many genres:

JRPG
RPG
Action
Adventure
Metroidvania
etc, etc,

But really Souls games are essentially their own genre now, which is better served elsewhere. People call them Soulsborne generally, not JRPGs.

Like calling it a Metroidvania. Sure you can REACH that far, but people mainly mean something like a 2D-plane platformer with some rpg mechanics that emulate Symphony of the Night. No one would sit here calling SOTN a JRPG even though it has menus, text boxes, RPG mechanics, and is from Japan.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #960 of 1,043
It sounds more like you're hear to bash everyone's preferences.

I created this thread over 10 years ago, mainly to discuss the traditional sense of JRPGs. You know, the ones you hate.

Yes, Elden Ring can be lumped in to many genres:

JRPG
RPG
Action
Adventure
Metroidvania
etc, etc,

But really Souls games are essentially their own genre now, which is better served elsewhere. People call them Soulsborne generally, not JRPGs.

Like calling it a Metroidvania. Sure you can REACH that far, but people mainly mean something like a 2D-plane platformer with some rpg mechanics that emulate Symphony of the Night. No one would sit here calling SOTN a JRPG even though it has menus, text boxes, RPG mechanics, and is from Japan.
So, by that logic, you bashed everyone's else's preferences with your opinions on From Soft games? I'm simply saying From Soft RPGs are Japanese RPGs like other RPGs from Japan. I don't need to go on and write a paragraph to explain it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back