The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Oct 20, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #1,006 of 1,043
I really liked the original Alundra because the puzzles were so creative. I think this one and Terranigma had the most creative puzzles. Link to Past puzzles were just too obtuse and dumb. This game was amazing! I wish we can get more games like this one, and I've never seen any games like this ever again. I'm not sure why developers would not develop stuff like this. I don't think it's easy to develop this level of puzzles, and challenges. It takes so much creativity. I was actually pretty amazed how developers could come up with so many good and unique puzzles.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #1,008 of 1,043
Star Ocean 2nd Story R Was released few days ago.
An absolute masterpiece of a remake

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #1,010 of 1,043
Been thinking about getting that game, I played Star Ocean 1 & 2 on the PSP many years ago, loved them back then.
It's a really good Remake.

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #1,011 of 1,043
Between Ys X a week ago, Star Ocean 2 Remakester, Tales of Arise DLC, Super Mario RPG Remake, JRPG fans are eating insanely well in the span of a month. I'm overwhelmed with the selection of games to play that I need to play.

Not to mention that early next year we're getting so many: Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, FFVII Rebirth, Eiyuuden Chronicle, and possible Suikoden Remastered (unannounced release date but I assume they'll try and put in near Eiyuuden release).

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #1,012 of 1,043
Star Ocean 2nd Story R Was released few days ago.
An absolute masterpiece of a remake

Yep, I'm utterly beside myself over it. Really the perfect way to remake a game: make the graphics nice, but not cutting edge, and make small updates to the gameplay without completely overhauling it.

On visuals, I personally would have preferred if they leaned more heavily into the post-processing effects like Octopath Traveler, but that's not really everyone's cup of tea, so it was smart that they did it like they did.
20231106080735_1.jpg

20231106071618_1.jpg

The mix of 2D sprites with 3D environments is perfectly done, and my god have I missed overworld maps.

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #1,013 of 1,043
I personally think Star Ocean 2 (one of my top ten games of all time) was already perfect, and somehow SE managed to make it even better. I do miss the craptastic original voice cast from the first release. There was a charm to their horrid voice acting lol. I still have the game, but with no way to play it legitimately anymore.

I would suggest playing the new version on PC. The ps5 version does NOT do the graphics justice. A lot of shimmering artifacts. You can really bump up the graphics on PC, and man, it looks insane.

My only gripes is that the character and battle sprites were not revamped, but I know sprite working is expensive these days and relegated mostly to mobile gacha garbo.

I'll take this style over Octopath faux 2DHD any day of the week. I was always a fan of mixing 2D with real 3D backgrounds.

I hope Namco follows suit and releases Tales of Eternia in this manner. Tales of Eternia has a lot similarities graphically to Star Ocean 2nd Story, so doing it like this would be stellar.

Though of course I'd rather they just give us all PS1-PS2-PSP games that never released here.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,014 of 1,043
I personally think Star Ocean 2 (one of my top ten games of all time) was already perfect, and somehow SE managed to make it even better. I do miss the craptastic original voice cast from the first release. There was a charm to their horrid voice acting lol. I still have the game, but with no way to play it legitimately anymore.

I would suggest playing the new version on PC. The ps5 version does NOT do the graphics justice. A lot of shimmering artifacts. You can really bump up the graphics on PC, and man, it looks insane.

My only gripes is that the character and battle sprites were not revamped, but I know sprite working is expensive these days and relegated mostly to mobile gacha garbo.

I'll take this style over Octopath faux 2DHD any day of the week. I was always a fan of mixing 2D with real 3D backgrounds.

I hope Namco follows suit and releases Tales of Eternia in this manner. Tales of Eternia has a lot similarities graphically to Star Ocean 2nd Story, so doing it like this would be stellar.

Though of course I'd rather they just give us all PS1-PS2-PSP games that never released here.
Graphics wise I already loved 2nd Evolution, but the gameplay improvements are crazy good.

Amazing Remake to one of the best jrpgs of all time

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #1,015 of 1,043
Yep, I'm utterly beside myself over it. Really the perfect way to remake a game: make the graphics nice, but not cutting edge, and make small updates to the gameplay without completely overhauling it.

On visuals, I personally would have preferred if they leaned more heavily into the post-processing effects like Octopath Traveler, but that's not really everyone's cup of tea, so it was smart that they did it like they did.

The mix of 2D sprites with 3D environments is perfectly done, and my god have I missed overworld maps.
I think the Octopath Traveler style blends better with the pixel art, but I guess they wanted more camera control with 3D.

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #1,016 of 1,043
Not to mention that early next year we're getting so many: Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, FFVII Rebirth, Eiyuuden Chronicle, and possible Suikoden Remastered (unannounced release date but I assume they'll try and put in near Eiyuuden release).

I'm just playing Like a Dragon and i like it a lot. Having played all Yakuza's already, i thought i woudn't like this one because the battle system but i was proven wong; i love it.

That's one of my favorites Ps1 rpg's; i think i invested about 250 hours on it but ironically couldn't beat Indalencio with limiter off.

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,017 of 1,043
I'm just playing Like a Dragon and i like it a lot. Having played all Yakuza's already, i thought i woudn't like this one because the battle system but i was proven wong; i love it.

That's one of my favorites Ps1 rpg's; i think i invested about 250 hours on it but ironically couldn't beat Indalencio with limiter off.
Yeah Inda/Gabriel limiter off is hard without a team that can keep him mostly stun locked. 3 fighters and Rena. Best team probably Cloud, Ashton, Dias, Rena if on Rena playthrough. It's been awhile since I've done a Claude playthrough with Opera and Ernest, so not sure who to sub Dias and Ashton with. That and the Precis or Bowman problem (though I will always have Precis with Ashton in a playthrough), Bowman in Opera playthroughs. 3 fighters are essential to win the hard stuff. I forget how viable Welch is.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #1,018 of 1,043
Yeah Inda/Gabriel limiter off is hard without a team that can keep him mostly stun locked. 3 fighters and Rena. Best team probably Cloud, Ashton, Dias, Rena if on Rena playthrough. It's been awhile since I've done a Claude playthrough with Opera and Ernest, so not sure who to sub Dias and Ashton with. That and the Precis or Bowman problem (though I will always have Precis with Ashton in a playthrough), Bowman in Opera playthroughs. 3 fighters are essential to win the hard stuff. I forget how viable Welch is.
Just finished everything else and apparently missed the 1st PA to unlock the limiter -.-

Seems like I have to start a new game+ for this

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #1,020 of 1,043
I'm on Octopath Traveler II

I really like the style in this game. It feels FF 6 graphics, which I liked. I couldn't figure out the first game as I hit a brick wall in it's difficulty at one point and stopped. It's unfortunate because I really like the music and visual story telling style, and character dialogs of Octopath games. Also that way the graphics is modernized of SNES era games.
I didn't like the choice of characters starting out, but Ochette stuck out. She looked most interesting to me, but her name doesn't feel fitting for a beast girl. How she is introduced is pretty cool, and the music in the background with the screenplay sequences is pretty cool. I will mention again, the music is cool! Battle sequences feels really good due to the awsome music.

Theme

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back