The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Apr 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2,821 of 3,640
Can you not find a retailer that stocks any Grado near where you are? Even if you cant hear the 325s, would be useful to try a lesser pair if possible. Whilst not sonically the same, there is definitely a Grado "sound" that some love, some dont. Also, the style and fit is similar between models. $300 is a lot to spend totally blind.

Jim

PS- avoid listening to anything higher up the range- that will just result in a bigger dent in your wallet. :wink:
Lol ok thank you.. Sounds like my etymotic er4s some love them and some hate them.. There really is no middle ground lol but that's what I like.. The analytical sound..

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,822 of 3,640
Quote:
Can you not find a retailer that stocks any Grado near where you are? Even if you cant hear the 325s, would be useful to try a lesser pair if possible. Whilst not sonically the same, there is definitely a Grado "sound" that some love, some dont. Also, the style and fit is similar between models. $300 is a lot to spend totally blind.

Jim

PS- avoid listening to anything higher up the range- that will just result in a bigger dent in your wallet.
wink.gif

I find the 325s to be a bit different on fit and comfort than the plastic housing varieties. The 325s are much heavier and have a much higher feel of quality IMO. They do feel different on your head even though the way they are constructed is exactly the same as all the other Grado models. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,824 of 3,640
Quote:
I agree, weight isn't bad, just enough to let you know the cans are there. The 325's do have a quality feel.

The 325's weight isn't that bad, especially compared to the headphones/dumbells, that are the PS1000.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #2,825 of 3,640
Quote:
I checked the sold listing on eBay, and their where 3 pairs of gold 325's that sold for (give or take) 200$U.S.

Thank you, I should have thought to check there...
Take care.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #2,827 of 3,640
Quote:
New member checking in with 325is SN 13853. Upgraded from SR60s.

Loving the sound so far, well broken in after more than 100 hours. Currently running out of the headphone socket on my Arcam a65+ integrated amp from an Apple TV connected to a Musical Fidelity VDAC (version 1). Most of my music is 256 MP3 or Apple lossless (just finished ripping my CDs to lossless to treat the Grados).

If I wanted to improve the sound overall from my setup, presumably a headphone amp/ DAC combo would be an obvious starting point. I see little merit in investing in, say a Fiio E17 or its ilk but any suggestions on a £300/ $500 bit of kit that would provide any serious improvement are welcome that are tried as tested with the Grados are welcomed. Having a good look round the reviews/ forums on here too. Anything would need to have an optical in to take the feed from the Apple TV and would need a phone out to link into my existing kit.

Cheers.

Jim

Let an M-Stage or Audio-gd unit poison you then. 
evil_smiley.gif

Pair the M-Stage with whatever DAC that you want.

Quote:
Lol ok thank you.. Sounds like my etymotic er4s some love them and some hate them.. There really is no middle ground lol but that's what I like.. The analytical sound..

You'll probably love K701 more if you want something more analytical and detailed like ER4.  K/Q701 will have to be paired with a DIY Dynalo, M-Stage, Sheer Audio HA006, or GS-1.
I'm reading that SA5000 may be more to your liking as well, DT1350 if you want something more portable.

SR325is sure is addictingly fun, though. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2,828 of 3,640
Let an M-Stage or Audio-gd unit poison you then.  :evil:
Pair the M-Stage with whatever DAC that you want.

Too late, already went and listened to and loved the Heed Canamp with them (looks like contrary to most posts on here but sounded way better thn anything else I tested). May just have to upgrade the DAC now.

Loving all the forums here though. The wife thinks I may have lost it unfortunately.

You'll probably love K701 more if you want something more analytical and detailed like ER4.  K/Q701 will have to be paired with a DIY Dynalo, M-Stage, Sheer Audio HA006, or GS-1.
I'm reading that SA5000 may be more to your liking as well, DT1350 if you want something more portable.

SR325is sure is addictingly fun, though. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #2,829 of 3,640
Yes I want more for portable use.. But I have heard a friends k701s and loved them.. I listened to a couple sennheiser over head ones too and was very impressed with the detail and soundstage.. With iems not moving that air needed they don't really have that huge soundstage.. Are these 325s ok for portable use?

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2,830 of 3,640
Yes I want more for portable use.. But I have heard a friends k701s and loved them.. I listened to a couple sennheiser over head ones too and was very impressed with the detail and soundstage.. With iems not moving that air needed they don't really have that huge soundstage.. Are these 325s ok for portable use?

Honestly, I would say no. The wires twist something chronic and they are heavy. Plus if on public transport or in an office environment you will probably be arrested for the noise you make ( far louder than most youths play music through iPhone speakers on the bus/train). Definitely a home alone pleasure. And you may look a tit.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,831 of 3,640
Quote:

SR225 would be better for portable use as long as there's not too much noise or people due to Grados being open-back and SR325is being rather heavy.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,832 of 3,640
Great thanks guys.. I guess I'll stick with my iems for now cause I like using my portable devices everywhere I go.. I was thinking about getting the grado 10 iem though.. I've heard great things about them.. And the 8s :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #2,833 of 3,640
My friend owns a record shop and can sell me a brand new pair of sr325is for $175 (wholesale price I guess). 
How great of a value is this?
I listen to mostly 3/5 hip-hop, but I'm not a bass-head and would much rather get a very good deal on headphones. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #2,834 of 3,640
Quote:
My friend owns a record shop and can sell me a brand new pair of sr325is for $175 (wholesale price I guess). 
How great of a value is this?
I listen to mostly 3/5 hip-hop, but I'm not a bass-head and would much rather get a very good deal on headphones. 

325is wouldn't be good for hiphop, their tonality/sound just isn't right for it imo. but 175 is a steal for NIB 325is, very good price. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #2,835 of 3,640
haha, bargain of the century if you can hear them. You'll love them I think, esp if you listen to other genres. I just heard 'goodbye my lover', that sickly sweet song, on my PS500s and rather sweet system now, and damn, his piano slams so hard. 

Grados love AC/DC I've discovered, worth it just to hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back