The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Mar 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #2,776 of 3,640
Hi, I posted this in the headphone amp section, but with no luck. Has anybody paired the 325is with the Matrix m stage? If so I'm curious to know before I purchase one if it changes the sound signature, because I don't want to loose the attack of the punch or the crystal clear highs and detail. I have done plenty of research on headphone amps and nobody has mentioned this combo together. Any replies would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,777 of 3,640
I was actually just listening to my 325 (non-i) on the M-Stage. As a former owner of the 325is, I can say that your results will be a bit different from mine, but only because the 325is is a bit smoother-sounding headphone. Less ear-splitting, you might say, on bad recordings. I kinda miss mine.

On the vanilla 325, I find that treble detail is enhanced a good deal, soundstage is expanded more than a bit, and the headphones sound more warm (and, mind you, much more enjoyable to listen to).

Now that I own a couple of cans in the same price range, I'm not the biggest fan of the 325 un-amped. But add the tape-modded bowls and a amp (both the Little Dot Mk III+ and the M-Stage have worked well for me), and I get a much better tone out of them than of my RS2i. RIght now it is my main casual listening headphone.

As to your concern about the attack, I do think that they punch a little less with this amp, but not because they're muffled or anything. More because the attack is lighter and more precise with this pairing -- it's only an improvement. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #2,778 of 3,640
Thank you for your input on the m-stage with the 325. Like I mentioned, I love the  attack of 325 and did not want to loose it with the pairing of this amp. I'm going to make the purchase in a couple of days and searched for a review  on this amp with the 325, but couldn't find one. thanks for giving me your input and experience with the m-stage and the 325, along with this and all of the research Iv'e done I'm sure I will enjoy the amp. 
BTW maybe you can tell where you have the gain switch set on the amp when using the 325? Thank you very much!

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #2,779 of 3,640
Quote:
Yea those RadioShack adapters are pretty junky. I actually have 2 really good adapters. The better one is the grade brand on (I found it at my local high fi shop) another good one is made by hosa:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O6B/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck!

+1 on the Hosa. I bought two of them and they are very well made and I love the right angle adapter. (And a STEAL right now at $5.35)

edit: they are just better than the Grado adaptor if you want to throw them in with your portable gear,

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #2,782 of 3,640
Opinions on the best tube amp for the 325is.  Use my computer and laptop for music at home.  I'm thinking of an e07 or e17 for portable use with my phone but can't seem to pull the trigger on a home setup.  Thought about the magni and modi or something similar ( and cheap ) but can't seem to get the tube thing out of my head.  I have always loved the look and sound of tubes.  Just don't know what to get to pair with the grados ( doesn't have to be cheap, I just am!! ).  I've only had the 325's about 2 months - 60 or so hours and getting better all the time.  Any and all opinions welcome.  Thanks.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #2,783 of 3,640
I would not recommend the Magni.  I found it too bright and unlistenable with my 325s
The Asgard 2 is better.  Especially with the gain switch on low.

YRMV

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #2,784 of 3,640
Quote:
Opinions on the best tube amp for the 325is.  Use my computer and laptop for music at home.  I'm thinking of an e07 or e17 for portable use with my phone but can't seem to pull the trigger on a home setup.  Thought about the magni and modi or something similar ( and cheap ) but can't seem to get the tube thing out of my head.  I have always loved the look and sound of tubes.  Just don't know what to get to pair with the grados ( doesn't have to be cheap, I just am!! ).  I've only had the 325's about 2 months - 60 or so hours and getting better all the time.  Any and all opinions welcome.  Thanks.

I also would not recommend the Magni - its a fantastic amp for many things but for me its too bright for my 325is as it made the shrill highs even worse.

For me the the best solution was the Little Dot 1+.  It really brought my 325s to life and its been great being able to roll tubes and swap opamps to get different sound combinations to really tailor the sound to my preference.  The price of the LD is just above a 100 dollars too so the price is fantastic.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2,785 of 3,640
Even though this isn't the right thread, should I purchase some magnums? Or is there a thread for that?

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #2,786 of 3,640
Quote:

i used the WA6-SE for the 325is, and i enjoyed them very much. however, its probably overkill.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #2,787 of 3,640
Quote:
I would not recommend the Magni.  I found it too bright and unlistenable with my 325s
The Asgard 2 is better.  Especially with the gain switch on low.

YRMV

That was my initital impression with the Magni as well. I'm using a tube dac and after som tube rolling I'm now very happy with the way the Magni sounds together with my 325is.

I still prefer my LD I+ with the grados though.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #2,790 of 3,640
Quote:
Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm taking a look at the little dot amps now.  Can anyone now suggest a good DAC to go with all this.

For the price you should look at the Modi. I went with an Audioengine D1, because it was a.) in stock and b.) has an optical connector, but thinking about that Modi for my work setup. The D1 is slightly warmer than the Macbook and has much more detail. I love it, but few on Head-Fi seem to. 

Anyway, here is the Modi. http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back