The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Apr 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #2,296 of 3,640
Yes, RASMUSHORN, I did try the G-CUSH's on my new 325is cans and I do agree. These huge oversized pads do
dilute the signature GRADO forwardness to the sound's disadvantage. I aso thought they looked disproportionate on the
GRADO's compact little body as they hang from the banana hook promenantly displayed  next to TV screen.
I've sent them right back to the ever-accomodating AMAZON and will have $45.00 hard earned dollars back in my wallet very soon.
One more thing, owning AKG 701, it made even less sense distancing the GRADO sound when I can always turn to MOBY DICK
for distance and neutrality. Thank you for speaking out on this issue.

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #2,299 of 3,640

Quote:
Yes, RASMUSHORN, I did try the G-CUSH's on my new 325is cans and I do agree. These huge oversized pads do
dilute the signature GRADO forwardness to the sound's disadvantage. I aso thought they looked disproportionate on the
GRADO's compact little body as they hang from the banana hook promenantly displayed  next to TV screen.
I've sent them right back to the ever-accomodating AMAZON and will have $45.00 hard earned dollars back in my wallet very soon.
One more thing, owning AKG 701, it made even less sense distancing the GRADO sound when I can always turn to MOBY DICK
for distance and neutrality. Thank you for speaking out on this issue.

Hey - you did the best thing anyone can do.... Listened yourself and made a decision based on your own impressions 
normal_smile .gif
 ...it can be argued that the waering comfort is better and more gentle to the ears with the bigger G-cushions, but I would not sacrafice the sound for it.

Now - enjoy your 325's as they are and try it with some well-powered solid state amplifiers and maybe you are on your way towards the long lasting 325-love. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #2,301 of 3,640
Right out of the box, these sound a lot mellower than the 225i's I tried for a week. I was afraid the 325is would be too bright as a lot of reviewers have said. I guess because the bass digs deeper, i have no need to turn up the volume, so these are ultimately less fatiguing.
I've got them on since a few hours now, and I could go all day. :)

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #2,302 of 3,640

Quote:
Right out of the box, these sound a lot mellower than the 225i's I tried for a week. I was afraid the 325is would be too bright as a lot of reviewers have said. I guess because the bass digs deeper, i have no need to turn up the volume, so these are ultimately less fatiguing.
I've got them on since a few hours now, and I could go all day. :)

One of the things I really like about them is I can listen at very low volumes and all the detail, and musicality is still there... still rules to crank up the volume nob :p

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #2,303 of 3,640

Quote:
One of the things I really like about them is I can listen at very low volumes and all the detail, and musicality is still there... still rules to crank up the volume nob :p

x2 - which I really like.
But I have found the same thing in all the Grado's I have heard. They are great at low volumes. 

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #2,304 of 3,640
My portable SR325i + iQube rig. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #2,307 of 3,640
I'm new here, and a fellow 325i owner, the gold version.  I've had them for a few years.  After a rocky start, during which they sounded bright and unpleasant, these headphones became one of my most useful audio components.  I'm preaching to the crowd here, but the sonic presentation of the 325i is excellent: neutral, clear, highly detailed. 

Oh, and I use a Little Dot I+ for an amp, and usually one of the following CD players as a source: Naim CD5i-2, Musical Fidelity A3.5, or Jolida 100.  I also have a Pro-Ject RM-5 turntable, a Thorens 125MKII, several excellent cartridges up to the Benz Glider M2 and ZYX Yatra, a Wright Sound Company tube phono preamp, and a Sutherland Ph3D battery-powered phono preamp. 

Also: I like the look of the new silver "S" version better than my gold version, so I'm jealous of you guys who are buying new 325is right now.
wink.gif

May 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #2,310 of 3,640

Grado sr325 on Craigslist. Does anyone live in Milwaukee, here is the deal of the century, http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/2351318790.html  I wish I could get them,  I would even be willing to pay $75.

I will also post some simple facts to why the sr325 (i,is) sound better then the rs1 and rs2, I don't ever think its been stated on this forum, it all has to do with mass and physics.  We all know to get the most out of our home speakers we spike them to the floor.  Coupling them to a stationary surface, this keeps the driver from moving off plane (doppler effect), this can also be done with mass.  Its a good thing the 325 weigh so much, even though many cry about it.  It may also be the reason they sound brighter then RS series, the wood may also be damping it a little, but that should only have an effect on the sound coming out the backside via the compression chamber.  I wish the screen was removed and just a simple (x) was placed over the opening, like the old B and W speakers.   Everyone wants screens, but the screen reverbs sound back and also resist the flow, example the thing on a faucet that adds air to the water (aerator), bad. As for the Ear Pads,  L cush sound the best by far, wash them first if they are new, the foam has a additive to make them firm for trimming this washes out with warm water, use a little detergent to slick the water.  G cush adds just a little more sound stage but kills low lever detail, the foam dampens it out. I've owned all of the Grados GS PS,  even sr60i and after much consideration I would rate the 325i best investment.  If they sound bright fold a wash cloth in quarters and place them between the driver and your ears, then they will sound just like the sennheiser hd650, is that telling you something?   Owner serial number 8416

Users who are viewing this thread

Back