The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Feb 28, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #2,266 of 3,640
Just received mine 4 hours ago....I'm in loveeee
biggrin.gif
Number on mine is 1157, they are the chrome version.

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2,267 of 3,640

Quote:
I think I may have already joined before and added my no.

Anyhoo, I was inspired to join properly again after getting totally 'freaked out' with these cans the other night. Been listening a lot to 24/96 vinyl rips of stuff for the warmth and.... don't get me started! After listening to a.... Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - Quadraphonic 5.1 mix through foobar with dolby headphone codec through an external soundcard via usb and my portable amp I just reached a total audiophile peak of perfection :)
But what really got me, was listening to Dark Side Of The Moon. Talk about 'Being There' in the studio with the muscians!
I don't actually listen to music that much anymore but when every time I hook everything up and sit back with my Grado's I honestly say I reach a place of Audiophilic contentment. Says a lot for these headphones

Was wondering if other folks have had similar joys from 24bit / 96000 vinyl rips. There are some real kind people out there who recently have been offering such delights. I really feel the extra warmth you get from vinyl rips (i have no turntable) makes a big difference. Also utilising the 'dolby surround sound' headphone DSP in foobar has been adding something quite delightful of late to 5.1 mixes of stuff

Wish You Were Here.  Dark Side of the Moon.  IMO the two best albums in the Pink Floyd catalog.  Made even better when listening through the 325is.  Happy listening! 

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #2,269 of 3,640

Quote:
Just bought The Wall (mine was stolen a long time ago, never replaced it). Fan-friggen-tastic....a must for the 325i's.

Indeed.  And although audio purists would swear by rare and uber expensive masterings of this recording, I'm quite content with my relatively low budget 1984 Columbia CK 36184, CK 36185 release.  Maybe I'll seek out the MoFi in the future. 

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #2,270 of 3,640
bought a pair of m50s in part to the hype machine that's gone on around head-fi and because i need a portable closed set of cans for work. i will say they are a good compliment to the 325is because they are more forgiving, neutral and are a lot less sibilant with certain artists, for example, bjork; but of course they lack the excitement and midrange of my beloved 325is'

after getting the nuforce icon hdp DAC/amp/preamp combo i've fallen back in love with my 325is'. i was absolutely blown away by the head-fi "Open Your Ears" HD tracks cd. that and the ultrasone cd are great to demo these cans to your friends and family.

even though i see a pair of HD650s in my future, i will never sell these cans, especially since i managed to get the silver versions.

grado fan for life

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #2,271 of 3,640
I have the Grado SR325i "Goldie" headphones.  I picked these up (used) about a month ago, so they were well broken in.  My serial is #3048.

I also have a pair of SR60s and SR225s.  The SR225s were modified by Bilavideo with the holes drilled in the drivers and wooden cups created for the 'phones along with a better leather head padding.  The wiring was replaced by the previous owner and I think they sound fantastic - even a bit better than my SR325i headphones.  However, I've been toying with the idea of performing some of the bass mods as prescribed in the SR60 thread.  Also, today, I was a bit frantic at looking into local sources for a headphone amp, but none of my local stores could come through for me.   Instead, I picked up a good 25' headphone cable from the Guitar Center.  I'm running my SR325i headphones off my Onkyo 506 receiver fed by a Squeezebox connected so that the DAC conversion occurs within the Squeezebox by the Burr-Brown DACs and the signal gets fed through the Onkyo.  The sound I currently hear is most incredible!!  

Ahh ... the sweet sounds of Grado !!

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #2,273 of 3,640
Just got back into audiophile can heaven after losing my RS1's on a roadtrip 4 years ago (I know, sounds pathetic, its a long story). After some research, listening, and the actual displeasure with my RS1's at the end, I am the 3 week old proud owner of a pair of GRADO SR325is Silver. I fall more and more in love with these cans every single day. Their break in is so distinct to me that I can literally hear a difference between each 4-6 hour listening session (not burning them in without my ears hearing the development). At first I was hesitant and almost purchased the RS2 due to the fact that out of the box the RS cans sound more "open". Also, the highs did seem a bit shrill out of the box. I can't tell you how euphoric I am that I made the choice I did. After a very brief break in, the highs began to smooth out, and gain detail and crisp clean reproduction that I have been searching for in all my previous cans. Honestly, I feel my 325's are far more neutral, alive, engaging, and crisp than my RS1's EVER were. Don't get me wrong the RS where great headphones. They just lacked a vibrance that made my listening sessions unfulfilling and bland. Not to mention the highs seemed to get lost in the mix and were so warm detail was almost nonexistent.
       On a side note, I am quite the blu-ray addict and these headphones offer the most thrilling cinema experience I have experienced to date.

This is # 6753 (silver), checking in.

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #2,274 of 3,640
Welcome to the club Ryscuba. Hopefully you are in for an everlasting love for the punchy sound in the SR325 :)

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #2,275 of 3,640
Reporting for duty-
Received my new 325iS yesterday. S/N 6619.
After 2 years listening to main house phones AKG 701 and GRADO SR 80 decided to move up GRADO chain as high
as I could go. That was my goal since hearing cable-modded GRADO RS 2 a couple years back, after meeting a stranger
in my Manhattan apartment building wearing mahogany headphones. Eventually found out he was a Head Fi member and
his cans were GRADO. His cans became  my pie in the sky ideal for the astonishing spatial separation, clarity and power
I heard in the 8 seconds he would let them off his head. I bought the 80's and became a GRADO lover.
That did not stop me purchasing the AKG 701's later despite his brotherly objections. For $ 248, no postage I wasnt passing
them up. Glad I didn't. Anyway, got my new 325is's yesterday and put on STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER. I'm hooked
up to a LITTLE DOT V & poor quality CD player. Oh my word, too close, too full of painful glare, too loud and JOHN LENNON
got sibilant. Oh oh. Later put on MILES' masterpiece IN A SILENT WAY and turned LITTLE DOT volume way down. Still very
close to ear, yes. Ater 701's, what wouldn't be ? Other problems gone. Exciting, punchy to the maximum, altogether glorious.
Keeping AKG's for large pleasantly spacious high-definition sound. Looking forward to GRADO adventure. Extension cable
and very pricey G-pads on the way. Thank you for listening to my  long over- due first post. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #2,276 of 3,640
Welcome to the surface and congrats with your new SR325's. Please report back what your impressions are with the G-cushions. Yes, they are more comfortable to wear but totally destroys the good sound from the SR325's. That is just my opinion of course so maybe you find that it works better for you 
normal_smile .gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #2,277 of 3,640
I heard Grados for the first time this weekend, a pair of 325s and 60s.  They are a great rock and roll headphone.  However, it seemed to me they didn't have a very good soundstage compared to the cans I normally listen to, Beyerdynamic DT 880/990 600 ohms, which are in the same price range.  Is this a typical observation?

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #2,278 of 3,640
I'm a relatively new 325is owner.  I got them about a month ago and was blown away.  since then, I haven't had time to listen to them at all.  they maybe have 5 hours on them.  I feel a little pang of guilt whenever I see them sitting there unused.  Please tell me to resist the temptation to sell them.  I will regret it down the line...won't I...?

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2,279 of 3,640
Had mine about 5 yrs now (serial no:4398) and love them to pieces. However its time to move them on to a better home now my HiFi has been sold off. Gutted. If anyone wants them then feel free to contact me.

Cheers all.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #2,280 of 3,640
Thank you for the welcome RASMUSHORN,

So you're telling me I spent $ 45.00 for G-pads just to destroy the good sound
of my brand new 325is's ? Well that's bad news. We'll have to see. I'll do comparisons
as I go along. I was just trying to get set-up properly  from the beginning with the recommended
peripherals.
These GRADO's are sounding really fine so far.
I do appreciate the coaching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back