The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Feb 24, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #1,801 of 3,640
So I can re-enforce and over-emphasize piercing treble just by getting a bright-sounding amplifier?

Where do I get in line for that, sign me up
wink.gif
!

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #1,802 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I can re-enforce and over-emphasize piercing treble just by getting a bright-sounding amplifier?

Where do I get in line for that, sign me up
wink.gif
!

Why get an amplifier when you can just adjust the EQ?

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #1,803 of 3,640
I'm interested to hear what people mean when they say the highs are too shrill. Can someone who finds the 325's too bright provide an example of a song that they heard through a pair of 325's where the high end is "too much"? I have listened to a wide variety of songs but have yet to encounter a situation where these phones were shrill. I would love to have some sort og reference point.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #1,804 of 3,640
I found that 325i sounds less harsh and shrill from crappy source like ipod but sounds shrill and manic with good source amped liked D10, anyhow depends on recording and volume you are listening with.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #1,805 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by bassboysam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested to hear what people mean when they say the highs are too shrill. Can someone who finds the 325's too bright provide an example of a song that they heard through a pair of 325's where the high end is "too much"? I have listened to a wide variety of songs but have yet to encounter a situation where these phones were shrill. I would love to have some sort og reference point.

I have found that the pronounced highs have recessed and relaxed somewhat with lots of break-in. Some have said that tubed amps have helped ameliorate the perceived brightness.

Tell us more about the details of your listening experience (e.g, music listened to, associated equipment, amount of headphone break-in, etc.).

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #1,806 of 3,640
The alleged shrillness with the 325i's highs is mainly amp/source-dependent, or due to other things upstream. Properly amped, the 325i's high frequency performance can be downright silken, very detailed and transparent.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #1,807 of 3,640
Quote:

'One', from Metallica's album 'And Justice for All'

'Judas Rising' from Judas Priest's album 'Angel of Retribution'.

'Aces High' from Iron Maiden's album 'PowerSlave'.

'Can you feel it' from the 'The Jackson's' greatest hits (check out the clapping in the chorus of that tune).

There are others, but those are three notable examples. I can't pump up the volume on those tracks.... too bright.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #1,808 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'One', from Metallica's album 'And Justice for All'

'Judas Rising' from Judas Priest's album 'Angel of Retribution'.

'Aces High' from Iron Maiden's album 'PowerSlave'.

'Can you feel it' from the 'The Jackson's' greatest hits (check out the clapping in the chorus of that tune).

There are others, but those are three notable examples. I can't pump up the volume on those tracks.... too bright.

Cool, I'm going to check those out and see if I can hear the brightness.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #1,809 of 3,640
Quote:

Cool, I'm going to check those out and see if I can hear the brightness.

If you can't hear the brightness, you are probably listening at too reasonable a level. Try cranking it up.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #1,810 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The alleged shrillness with the 325i's highs is mainly amp/source-dependent, or due to other things upstream. Properly amped, the 325i's high frequency performance can be downright silken, very detailed and transparent.

Agreed. I don't use a high-end amp but I never thought they sounded shrill. When new they had odd mids but now after 400+ hours they are detailed and smooth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't hear the brightness, you are probably listening at too reasonable a level. Try cranking it up.
biggrin.gif

lol
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #1,811 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I congratulate you on your purchase, they are amazing set of headphones aren't they
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had these now for several days, probably played them for about 30 hours or so. I initially had difficulty deciding between these and the SR225i. Reading the posts here really demonstrated to me that I needed to let my sense of hearing make the choice. The discussions here sounded like a scene out of Braveheart where one side wears SR225's and the other SR325si's... so I found a store where I could compare. I turned up the sound and noted a significant difference in volume between the two from waist level where they laid on the table. The 225 were much louder than the 325 ( I don't think this is a very scientific method for testing headphones but is sure was a very obvious difference). Listening to them, the 225 sounded terrific and very bright. I then tried the 325 and it sounded darker, slightly more subdued. Increasing the volume on the miniamp (grado amp), brought out more of the capability of the 325. there is an obvious power difference in these phones to me. The 225 is fun, loud, bright and I felt I was intimate with its capabilities right away. The 325 was more mature, controlled, exact and powerfull in its output. I went ahead and got a set from Headroom (store had none on hand). I believe I made the right choice for me. they remind me of my old Klipsch Forte 2 loudspeakers. Mids are epic in delievery and float across the soundstage. I highly recommend 325iS over the 225.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #1,812 of 3,640
Your experience is unusual.
smily_headphones1.gif
What type of music are you listening to?

The SR225 is usually reputed to be the more laid back of the two. Of course, personal experience is anecdotal, though what should take precedence for a personal decision.

I have never heard the SR225's personally.

With a lot of my music and CD's, I'd never consider the SR325is to be shrill or too bright. But with some, it is.

There may be an amp synergy issue too. I simply couldn't listen to my own SR325is unamp'd (too bright with a lot of ssssss..sssss...metallic sound), while there are those who are happy listening to it unamp'd. My own impressions when amp'd or unamp'd dispels the amp synergy being the problem as some put forward here. I'm pretty convinced it's just a combination of personal taste and the music one listens to.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #1,813 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

That's 90% of the "problem" with the 325i right there. All cans have a volume "sweet spot", my HD650s have it pretty loud, with my goldies it's at the same spot on the dial, but with my Micro amp's gain set to "low" instead of "medium". Tyll Hertsens does a good job explaining the whole concept of Grados as low-ish volume cans on his blog, actually.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #1,814 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's 90% of the "problem" with the 325i right there. All cans have a volume "sweet spot", my HD650s have it pretty loud, with my goldies it's at the same spot on the dial, but with my Micro amp's gain set to "low" instead of "medium". Tyll Hertsens does a good job explaining the whole concept of Grados as low-ish volume cans on his blog, actually.

I agree with this in that the Grado's I have do very well at low volumes. This is why I use one at work. It makes for an articulate presentation at low volumes and that, with its open format, allows me to listen while able to hear a knock on my office door etc.

OTOH, I do believe there's a difference between being able to listen at low volumes while retaining dynamics, and listening at low volumes to avoid a strident sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back