The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jun 27, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #1,276 of 3,640
That's the sort of validation I need! Thanks for the amp info.! Little Dot, if reliable, seems to be the way to go. If treated carefully, how long do tubes generally last before burnout, anyway? *Heads directly to the FS/FT forums in search of a wheel of a deal while wife-to-be is out getting groceries*
wink_face.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #1,277 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I found the 325is a rather big step up from the 225 (old version) - which contradicted a lot of what I'd read here. The 225s left me underwhelmed - I'm thrilled with the 325. I haven't heard the 225i though, so I don't know how the larger housing changes the sound.

Good info Scottie. Thanks.

One question - is the treble a bit more laid back on the 325is?

That's my only concern with these phones.
smily_headphones1.gif
My experience is only with the 80s and 125s but I am doing more recordings and want something a bit nicer for monitoring, ideally under $500.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #1,278 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It seems that was to me, TwoTrack. I've only spent a limited amount of time with the 325is so far but find that the treble is palatable and less harsh than some make it out to be. Definitely "rolled-on" but a bit more refined than the 325i (a bit smoother, from what I remember) and noticeably more bass impact too. In both respects, the 325's outshine the 225's which are waaaaay more laid back, unless that's what you prefer.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #1,279 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack
Good info Scottie. Thanks.

That's my only concern with these phones. My experience is only with the 80s and 125s but I am doing more recordings and want something a bit nicer for monitoring, ideally under $500.

Having never heard the older 325i, I can't really say how they compare, but I agree that they definitely are less harsh than many claim. I have no problems listening to them even for extended periods - but I also tend to like a more forward and "detailed" sound. But, when I had the 225, I'd A/B with the Sennheiser HD600 and always choose the Senns. That's why I sold the 225. But I found I missed the Grado sound, so i stepped up to the 325is when they came out - and now when A/B with the Senns I almost always choose the Grado (except for classical music). Take that for what it is worth.

All that said, I don't know if I'd recommend them - or any Grado - for monitoring. They're too 'colored' and fun -- great for listening, but for recording I'd personally choose something more neutral.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #1,280 of 3,640
Yeah... forgot to mention, but I would never use a Grado for monitoring either, despite what their press kit says. Not sure how much truth there is to this, but he may actually be referring to the old school plastic 325 (as a lot of the other reviews on the 325is page at gradolabs.com are for the gold 325i or possibly earlier):

"The SR325s are easily the flattest, most accurate sounding phones tested, for critical monitoring, the Grados are hard to beat. Of all the phones tested, the SR325s were the only headphones I felt trustworthy enough for mixing."
Pro Audio Review / Vol. 4, No. 6 / Loren Alldrin

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #1,281 of 3,640
The reason I like Grados for monitoring is the openness and resolution. Yes, they are colored but with the Senns we use the midrange is light (sucked out)...on our violin recordings the Grados capture the strings better, maybe piano is a tad better on Senns in some ways but overall the 125s I use now are more accurate to the live event we are recording.

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #1,282 of 3,640
Hey guys, I am considering purchasing a pair of Grado 325i's for home listening with my ipod. However, I am torn between the 325i's and the Grado RS-2.

I was wondering if any of you guys think the RS-2i's are worth the extra 200 bucks (do they perform that much better than the 325i's for all that money?), or would it be better to get the 325i's?

(I hear the RS-1's are amazing, but it will be a couple of years before i can upgrade that high.)

Oh yeah, one more thing. Do you think the little dot MK IV would be a suitable amp for 325i's, do these headphones benefit much from an amp? I am thinking of buying one if I get a pair.

I am a newbie, so dont shred me please
redface.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #1,283 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Mamba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I am considering purchasing a pair of Grado 325i's for home listening with my ipod. However, I am torn between the 325i's and the Grado RS-2.

I was wondering if any of you guys think the RS-2i's are worth the extra 200 bucks (do they perform that much better than the 325i's for all that money?), or would it be better to get the 325i's?

(I hear the RS-1's are amazing, but it will be a couple of years before i can upgrade that high.)

Oh yeah, one more thing. Do you think the little dot MK IV would be a suitable amp for 325i's, do these headphones benefit much from an amp? I am thinking of buying one if I get a pair.

I am a newbie, so dont shred me please
redface.gif

I've never heard the RS2, but from from I've read, they are quite different than the 325... less up front and "in your face" - more laid back, but still Grado.

Perhaps you should look into the HF-2?

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #1,284 of 3,640
Anyone else using a Little Dot MKII amp with their SR325is?

I just got my MKII this week and logged 15 hours of burn-in so far, and they're sounding awesome with the SR325is. Given that the MKII is on a high gain setting by default, they would prolly sound better if I set it to medium or low gain right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #1,285 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got my MKII this week and logged 15 hours of burn-in so far, and they're sounding awesome with the SR325is. Given that the MKII is on a high gain setting by default, they would prolly sound better if I set it to medium or low gain right?
smily_headphones1.gif

On most amps, the gain setting merely controls the signal's attenuation- in other words, putting an additional bit of resistance in addition to the volume pot. If that's the case with the LD, then the gain setting is only really useful to control the maximum volume your amp can put out.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #1,286 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would be very interested to know which SR-325, SR-325i and SR-325is owners use tube amps vs. solid state amplification to power these lovely 'phones. It appears the consensus that a tube amp warms up the 325's sound signature in a noticeably helpful way. If we could get a list going of a handful of the best affordable to expensive tube amps, I think that would be a BIG help for other 325 fans when trying to achieve the best synergy. (Of course, it would also be plenty informative if those who think their solid state amps are especially good at this task ring in too. There are a few "warm" SS ones out there, I think.) Thanks in advance for your input all!
smile_phones.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #1,287 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On most amps, the gain setting merely controls the signal's attenuation- in other words, putting an additional bit of resistance in addition to the volume pot. If that's the case with the LD, then the gain setting is only really useful to control the maximum volume your amp can put out.

This has to do with the source level, too of course. I have a LD MKIII and feed it with my Compass DAC. I keep the MKIII on high gain (lvl10) and don't have any issues - in fact I sometimes (for certain songs) have to turn the volume all the way to 12 o'clock - which I found surprising. Before I had the compass I had a Zero DAC and its level was much higher. I still had the MKIII on 10 (for my Sennheisers) but the volume knob was much lower with my grados. It's really up to you - If you feel like it gets loud really quickly and you'd like more "use" out of he volume knob, then by all means try other gain settings.

As for solid state vs tube, I like both. It really depends on the mood, and if I feel like firing up the tubes. But both the Compass SS amp and the MKIII sound excellent and are 'affordable' and great bang-for-buck type amps, IMO. I haven't heard a ton of other stuff (yet) but am very happy with my setup for the money spent.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #1,288 of 3,640
I use my 325is' with my Graham Slee Novo + PSU all the time.
They are great.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #1,289 of 3,640
Thanks for the comments ScottieB and rosgr63. Keep 'em comin', toys!

(Full disclosure: I'm thinking about upgrading to a tube amp between $150-250, so, yeah... my previous query was sparked out of self-interest. That said, if we had some sort of pool for good amps for particular 'phones, that would be great. This may be best posited in the Amps threads, but I'm most interested in 325's and their sound sources.)

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #1,290 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has to do with the source level, too of course. I have a LD MKIII and feed it with my Compass DAC. I keep the MKIII on high gain (lvl10) and don't have any issues - in fact I sometimes (for certain songs) have to turn the volume all the way to 12 o'clock - which I found surprising. Before I had the compass I had a Zero DAC and its level was much higher. I still had the MKIII on 10 (for my Sennheisers) but the volume knob was much lower with my grados. It's really up to you - If you feel like it gets loud really quickly and you'd like more "use" out of he volume knob, then by all means try other gain settings.

As for solid state vs tube, I like both. It really depends on the mood, and if I feel like firing up the tubes. But both the Compass SS amp and the MKIII sound excellent and are 'affordable' and great bang-for-buck type amps, IMO. I haven't heard a ton of other stuff (yet) but am very happy with my setup for the money spent.

Indeed. On my Headroom stack (Ultra Micro DAC/Micro Amp), I have to keep the gain at low unless I've A) got a really quiet recording,B) plugged the amp into my Project phono preamp or C) really got it in for my hearing. 325is are pretty sensitive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back