The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jan 1, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #916 of 3,640
It seems like this is the place for me to ask my question:
I love my GS1000, but some times, when listening to some kinds of music, the the roll-off on the high end annoys me. I feel like something is taken away from the music, is missing. Will the sr325i be a god complement?
Meaning, can i translate other peoples complaints of shrillness, to good extended highs?

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #917 of 3,640
You might want to try the RS-1 first, the SR-325i might be too big of a step down from a GS-1000.

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #918 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like this is the place for me to ask my question:
I love my GS1000, but some times, when listening to some kinds of music, the the roll-off on the high end annoys me. I feel like something is taken away from the music, is missing. Will the sr325i be a god complement?
Meaning, can i translate other peoples complaints of shrillness, to good extended highs?

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

IME the GS1000 have slightly exagerated highs, far from rolled off.....

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #919 of 3,640
eeh? anm I crazy then? or my ears all messed up?
It's that I get a feeling of vocals and violins stopping in mid-air when they're going for those high notes. might be a source problem, I don't think so, but i'll look into it anyway

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to try the RS-1 first, the SR-325i might be too big of a step down from a GS-1000.

I'm not planning on selling my GS1000, so I wouldn't call it a step down. I was more hoping for a side step, or an extension, complementation.
So sr325i has less treble than GS1000, and not at all more extended?

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #920 of 3,640
I've just listened through a couple of albums (320 AAC) and discovered some things.
album 1:paul giger - alpstein (contemporary violinist, really likes to play with the upper extremes)
album 2:the cure - three imaginary boys (rather rough sounding, harsh vocals and a killing shrilling drum on '10.15 saturday night')
paul giger made me turn up the volume, while the cure made me turn it down. I don't think there actually was any difference in volume initially, but gigers details were barely audible, while the cures howling was hurting my ears. So my conclusion is that my conception of missing highs were due to the music, not the headphones.
But now I wonder, what is the actual difference in sound between sr325i and gs1000?

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #921 of 3,640
Quote:

IME the GS1000 have slightly exagerated highs, far from rolled off.....

Many cans with exagerated highs have roll off in high frequences. It's just a trick to hide actual roll-off. What you percept as exagerrated highs\sibilance lies in 7-8khz region. The actual roll-off begins at 14-15khz.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #922 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just listened through a couple of albums (320 AAC) and discovered some things.
album 1:paul giger - alpstein (contemporary violinist, really likes to play with the upper extremes)
album 2:the cure - three imaginary boys (rather rough sounding, harsh vocals and a killing shrilling drum on '10.15 saturday night')
paul giger made me turn up the volume, while the cure made me turn it down. I don't think there actually was any difference in volume initially, but gigers details were barely audible, while the cures howling was hurting my ears. So my conclusion is that my conception of missing highs were due to the music, not the headphones.
But now I wonder, what is the actual difference in sound between sr325i and gs1000?

In short:
The GS1000 are more airy, have much more, but less impactfull low. The GS1000 have also soundstage and are laid-back.
The SR325 are more agressive, have more punch and are less refined.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #923 of 3,640
After one month with my SR325i I think I am not any more in the “yeah! I have a new toy” phase and can write a bit more about it. Coming from the SR80 the first thing that amazed me was that there is more bass and it is more defined compared to the SR80 (as basically everything is more detailed…). When I listen to the Howe Gelb “Train singer song”, which was recorded in a small chapel I can hear the birds in the background of the chapel, which I did not hear before. I know this can be questioned if it adds to the song but for me it adds something to the atmosphere of the recording. Also Gelb’s voice is sounding more present.
And the sedond BIG thing with these headphones is for me guitars. They sound amazing. When I listen to Free kitten “Surfs up” the guitar of John Mascis in the background does so well with the main guitar line. I just sit and enjoy…
There are some CDs where the SR80 sounds more friendly. Ben Weaver for example. I can not describe it better than that it sounds more warm. I guess this is due to the recording because I do not have this impression in general with other CDs.
I run the SR325i with a creek OBH 21SE. It is my first headphone amp and I when I bought it did not compare it to others. I would like to know how much the SR325i benefits from a tube amp and which one can be recommended….
Thanks a lot…

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #924 of 3,640
In my personal experience (with a LDMKIVse tube amp, and a normal receiver and zero's SS amp) a SS amp gave me much better low end.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #925 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In short:
The GS1000 are more airy, have much more, but less impactfull low. The GS1000 have also soundstage and are laid-back.
The SR325 are more agressive, have more punch and are less refined.

cool, I think I'd like that

@QQQ:
any recommendations on headphones with less exaggeration and less roll-of in the highs than the GS1000?

Edit: sorry for turning this into a GS VS 325 thread for the moment.

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #927 of 3,640
I'm considering to buy a pair of 325is in the near future and i have a rather stupid question....i have read some posts mentioning that the newer production 325is are fitted with the same plastic headband as the lower tier prestige model and no longer with the leather ( pleather ? ) one...is that true or have i misunderstood ?

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #928 of 3,640
Hi Meliboeus,
I bought mine (in France) beginning of December and they have the number 8958. They have not the same plastic headband as my SR80. But I have to say I don't know if it is real leather or some fake leather they put around the headband.
Otherwise I like mine a lot. Great headphones!!!!!

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #929 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering to buy a pair of 325is in the near future and i have a rather stupid question....i have read some posts mentioning that the newer production 325is are fitted with the same plastic headband as the lower tier prestige model and no longer with the leather ( pleather ? ) one...is that true or have i misunderstood ?

Mine's in the 7000s and has the nicer of the two headbands. I wonder, though, if the GS1000 headband/caliper assembly is available separately??? hmmm. Might work well with 325is.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #930 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, I agree with the other answers, the headband is leather or leather-ish and it's different than 225's and other lower Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back