The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jul 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #1,936 of 3,640
...1 hour later: Someone please reassure me that some bass will appear following an extensive but gentle burn-in period? Please??

confused_face.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #1,938 of 3,640

Quote:
What do you have them plugged into?  What's your audio chain like?

Been testing them out with my Consonance 2.2L CD player > Origin Live interconnects > Darkvoice Figaro amp. I know these components, and I don't think they are the issue...

I know I have to wait until after burn-in to make a proper judgement, but I'm concerned! Perhaps I will turn out to be in the not-Grado-fans camp.

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #1,939 of 3,640
Oh wait, I think I've answered my own question there. The Darkvoice isn't the ideal amp for Grados, right? I'll hold back from judging them until they're properly burnt-in, and I've heard them through the Burson I have on order.

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #1,940 of 3,640

Quote:
...1 hour later: Someone please reassure me that some bass will appear following an extensive but gentle burn-in period? Please??

confused_face.gif

Do not worry! You will end up with the a headphone presenting some of the deepest, most punchy and tight bass available out there! ...and please give it more than one hour! 50 at least will change a lot. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #1,941 of 3,640
The flat pads can help with bass, Senn 414 pads will work (cheaper).

Some have tried certain mods like poking holes in the housing with satisfying results, YMMV. Go back in the thread a few pages for specific instructions.

The BumblePads™ work best for me, as far as pads go:

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #1,942 of 3,640

Quote:
Been testing them out with my Consonance 2.2L CD player > Origin Live interconnects > Darkvoice Figaro amp. I know these components, and I don't think they are the issue...

I know I have to wait until after burn-in to make a proper judgement, but I'm concerned! Perhaps I will turn out to be in the not-Grado-fans camp.

Give it about 30 hours. I didn't find the bass lacking in anyway on the SR325i, it had deep, punchy bass. It certainly wasn't anemic like K701 for example. But, also not for bassheads if that's what you're looking for. 

edit: what ramushorn said ^

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #1,943 of 3,640
Just got the 325i - my first *real* pair of headphones.  I also just received the Bellari HA540 which was a leap of faith - looking forward to plugging it in.  I've never owned a tube amp before (or any headphone amp before).

Over the years, my stereo, speakers and cd player have all died, so I decided to rebuild a little headphone system.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #1,946 of 3,640
Hey, quick question for sr325i experts. Will 325i steup w/ corda move3 or audinst hud-mx1 etc. type of small amp/dac be a good idea? Or will I only end up throwing away most of 325i's potential? I couldn't afford any upgrades after this for a long time. Please help me I have done weeks of endless research on cans & amps. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #1,947 of 3,640

Quote:
Oh wait, I think I've answered my own question there. The Darkvoice isn't the ideal amp for Grados, right? I'll hold back from judging them until they're properly burnt-in, and I've heard them through the Burson I have on order.

The Burson will definitely give more bass.  If the bass doesn't work for you right out of the box, I doubt it will.  So, it's the uncovering of an amp synergy issue that will far more likely turn the tables than burn in where your fundamental displeasure with the amount of bass is concerned. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,948 of 3,640
I have had much better results with the SS amps than the tube amps I have tried with my 325is, so I think the Burson should work out well also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back