The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jul 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #1,951 of 3,640
6072 checking in..  Happy to be part of the Grado Fan club..  The SR60i's brought me in, but the 325i's are on my head every night..  Here's a pic.  These were modded by a previous owner.  The prestige ring was removed and the screen was replaced with a domed version.  They sound phenomenal.  I swap out pads between the standard bowls, the salad bowls and Senn HD414 pads.  Here's a pic:

Incidentally, if anyone has the prestige rings they would like to sell, I'm interested in buying them. PM me please. I'd like to restore the rings. Thanks and "Happy Listening"

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #1,953 of 3,640

Quote:
6072 checking in..  Happy to be part of the Grado Fan club..  The SR60i's brought me in, but the 325i's are on my head every night..  Here's a pic.  These were modded by a previous owner.  The prestige ring was removed and the screen was replaced with a domed version.  They sound phenomenal.  I swap out pads between the standard bowls, the salad bowls and Senn HD414 pads.  Here's a pic:

Incidentally, if anyone has the prestige rings they would like to sell, I'm interested in buying them. PM me please. I'd like to restore the rings. Thanks and "Happy Listening"

I think i know whose the owner of this headphone, i have the same setup placed in water bath to remove the labels and recable them in mogami

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #1,954 of 3,640

Mine haven't been recabled...  yet :)

Quote:

I think i know whose the owner of this headphone, i have the same setup placed in water bath to remove the labels and recable them in mogami

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #1,955 of 3,640
How does the 325 sound with the salad bowl (jumbo) pads?
Y'all just putting the jumbo pads on a stock 325?  No distancer or other mods to compensate?

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #1,956 of 3,640
I liked the jumbos for awhile and then started swapping all three types of pads back and forth. The flats give good body but no soundstage. Then I re-glued my BumblePads™ together, and stopped swapping pads as they give me the best of all worlds. The jumbos seemed the best when I first tried them, but after awhile they started sounding a bit thin. The BumblePads™ give me increased soundstage and good body, while increasing the low-end resonance and taming the brightness a bit.

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #1,957 of 3,640
It just increases the soundstage and adds a tiny bit of separation. Bass impact decreases just a little and I agree with grokit that it sounds a bit thin compared to the flats. Yeah, I just put the jumbo pads in place of the stock with no additional mods.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #1,958 of 3,640
Hey, quick question for sr325i experts. Will 325i steup w/ corda move3 or audinst hud-mx1 etc. type of small amp/dac be a good idea? Or will I only end up throwing away most of 325i's potential? I couldn't afford any upgrades after this for a long time. Please help me I have done weeks of endless research on cans & amps. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #1,959 of 3,640

Quote:
Hey, quick question for sr325i experts. Will 325i steup w/ corda move3 or audinst hud-mx1 etc. type of small amp/dac be a good idea? Or will I only end up throwing away most of 325i's potential? I couldn't afford any upgrades after this for a long time. Please help me I have done weeks of endless research on cans & amps. 

I have never heard the Audinst but the 3Move will be a good combination for the 325 that is for sure. It depends on what you are looking for though. In some areas the 3Move is from "the other side of the road" soundwise. If you like the edgy sound and sparkling highs from the 325 the 3Move will not enhance these virtues of the 325.The 3Move will also bring the mids a bit more backwards in the sound. So if you really love the 325 and its edgy forward sound it will be mellowed a bit by pairing it with a Meier Amp and then it might not be the combination you are looking for.

If you on the other hand would like the 325 to be more relaxed in the highs the 3Move might be the perfect combination for you. The 3Move does take a little off of the micro details and edgyness from the highs but it REALLY gives them PUNCH and impact in the bass and lower mids. I hope this was helpfull for you 
regular_smile .gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #1,961 of 3,640

Quote:
How does the 325 sound with the salad bowl (jumbo) pads?
Y'all just putting the jumbo pads on a stock 325?  No distancer or other mods to compensate?

Pretty bad actually. When I tried out the jumbos, they seemed to suck out all the visceral midrange that made the SR325's so much fun to listen to. My preferred pads are the reversed stock bowls, by far.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #1,962 of 3,640

Quote:

Pretty bad actually. When I tried out the jumbos, they seemed to suck out all the visceral midrange that made the SR325's so much fun to listen to. My preferred pads are the reversed stock bowls, by far.

I agree 100% - I never really use any other pads for the SR325's even though I have tried them all. Once in a while I go back to the Sennheiser HD414 yellow pads. It gives ease to the ears comfortwise but takes a lot of the edge in the sound. The Jumbo pads are the worst soundwise....

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #1,965 of 3,640

Quote:

That's what I thought would happen with the jumbos.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to try the jumbos on my 325is at a head-fi meet.  From the descriptions of the jumbo sound I don't think I'd like it.  But you never know.  I did hear a GS1000 and I really really liked its soundstage.  Sound was swirling all around my head.

I prefer the bowls to comfies or flats.  The bowls give me soundstage and I like that in a Grado.  If I want a no soundstage Grado I've got my SR60 with comfies.  The SR325is with bowls is for the more spacious sound that eliminates the two blobs effect I get with the SR60.  But the brightness with the 325is and the bowls is a bit much.  Whatever I do I don't want more treble.

My SR325is are still relatively new so I'm still getting used to them and exploring what they do.  I've kept them stock while doing that so I get a consistent comparison amongst different music.  I've started playing with EQ with them so it's probably time to also start playing with pad mods.  Playing with the pads is something you are almost compelled to do when you've got a Grado.  I've got a few ideas I'm going to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back