The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Mar 12, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #1,861 of 3,640
the grado's were good with classical and little else. Rock suffered the most, with overpowering instruments. I need something that can cope with a wide array of music, not just classical.

I love my MS-1's, but will the MS-2's be a step down from the 325?

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #1,862 of 3,640
Quote:

Listening to Clann Zú through laptop soundcard and I am loving every second of it, I love these headphones...

I only have the original 325s, but have taken some advice to "improve" them myself a bit, supposidly enough where few can tell them apart, but I have to say, nice music choice. I have to give props when I see good music going through good phones. The opening to "Black Coats and Bandages" sends chills down my spine once the band comes in for the first groove.

Try Norma - The book of Norma. My 325s are a bit too siblent for a lot of recordings, which sucks, but some stuff is that of magic. Cul De Sac (esp. the song "doldrums") is something I recently was blown away by. I like 16 Horsepower, his vintage instruments and recording gear are a good match, but this is his stuff from the 90s. Nadja's 2009/10 effort is amazing though. Rome - The flowers from Exile, though dark in theme, is crazy good.

I'll stop before I drive home and end up skipping work to listen. 325s + tubes = always being suprised at how well some stuff sounds. I am lucky enough to also have an extra NOS DAC I use with the headphone stuff, and so maybe that plus the tubed output, I get something I never got with speakers. I built the little headphone rig for "something to do", and now I don't listen to speakers much at all. If it isn't meant for the grados, I will just switch to DT770s with pads from some AKGs.

Is it the same with the *I* versions that you can generally judge if it is going to sound "good" on anythig metallic in the music, like a cymbol crash. If it is not smooth, or if open hats, splashes get distorted a bit, then the 325s are just not right for it? I guess to say, very recording-centric, as much, or more than, "system"-centric? Some exceptions apply (see above, 16 horsepower is not "smooth" by any means)

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #1,863 of 3,640
I don't know. I just know with my SR325is headphones (the only model I have heard), the sibilance has all but disappeared after lots of break-in, and it's approaching 100 hours. I am running from a Millett hybrid amp, but while there was some sibilance at first, the same recordings now don't exhibit nearly the same amount.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #1,864 of 3,640
When you get round to putting woodies on your 325is's, (and you will,you owe it to them and your ears) you will find that the old ally cups make rather stylish door knobs...
icon10.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #1,865 of 3,640
awesome

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you get round to putting woodies on your 325is's, (and you will,you owe it to them and your ears) you will find that the old ally cups make rather stylish door knobs...
icon10.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #1,866 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awesome

Can't say that I agree but to each his own.
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope they sound better than they look!!

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #1,868 of 3,640
I don`t know why but all of the sudden my 325i sound bassy!

yashu
Thanks for recommendation, I will check it out.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #1,869 of 3,640
Breaking news, I prefer 325i over DX-1000 for trance, news at 8....

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #1,870 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by bassboysam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually yes, I listened to some of the songs and at first I did not hear the extreme brightness. Someone earlier had mentioned that it is only noticeable at louder volumes so I turned the volume up, to where I would never listen at for more than 1 or 2 songs, and yes the 325's got quite bright. However, I tried the same test with the 225 and found that they also got quite bright. The difference however is that the 325's were still more clear. At normal volumes I found the 325's are only slightly brighter than the 225's but they were a "good" brighter. More detail, and better instrument separation. Both headphones are great, and I would listen either of them any time. The difference between the two is really quite minimal, unless you are really really picky. I probably could not tell the difference between the two 8/10 times (at normal volume).

I purchased the 325 and the 225 together so I could compare and keep the one I prefer, but I think I will just keep both for now as I don't really have a preference...I just love the Grado sound. I can't listen to any other headphone, everything else sounds so artificial to me. I would rather just listen to my full size speakers.

I think, if you have better equipment in front of it, you'll notice more instrumental texture with the 325, and a much better sense of the recording space. The differences are not quite so subtle. Even John Grado acknowledges that, while there is a small difference between the 125 and 225, there is a large difference between the 225 and 325. Those are my findings as well.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #1,871 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by bassboysam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One minor complaint though, what's with the short cable?

I asked this of John Grado. He had no answer. He tends to talk only of positives. When I asked him if he would put on a longer length on mine, he responded by saying they are only a production house. There'd be no way they could handle recabling. I don't know... He made me a custom ME+ cartridge several years ago, to his credit. I find Harry Weisfeld (of VPI), in comparison, more open to tweaking regarding issues.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #1,874 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pulled the trigger on these to find out how Grados sound... if the treble is high I might send them back to try out some rsl1's.

Don't get sucked into that cycle. I started with 325s and tried all flavors of grados. The 325s are great phones and unless you want to analyze instead of enjoying music then go for the upgrade. To me trying out different cans was a pain in the butt. To my ears they all sounded very similar.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #1,875 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akheel saleh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my first grado(SR 325i) 24 hours ago

right-out of the box it sounded like crap.
burnt it in for 10 hours and wow!
can wait till it clocks in at 100 hours!

I loved mine after letting them burn in. I got a chance to get the hf2s and they had the bass I was looking for. If I remember, they were almost the same sound but my 325s were already gone to test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back