The Official Fiio E9 Thread with Video Unbox-Review
Nov 11, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #211 of 752

Quote:
Oh yeah, that's probably the only real complaint I have when it comes to the E9's aesthetics... I can't see the volume knob's groove, but whenever I plug in my headphones I always set it to the lowest volume and gradually go up anyway. It's a minor complaint which feiao has stated that has been fixed in the second batch. I wouldn't part with my E9 just to have a white indicator.
wink.gif

That's when a marker comes in handy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #213 of 752
Peep this:

This was one of the first things I did after receiving this engineering sample from FiiO. The marker slot is flat, so what I did was take some white address labels (plenty of those around here
wink.gif
) and cut a 1mm thin strip of it, trimmed it to the correct length, and stuck it in there. 

I like it a lot.

Jack

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #214 of 752
Question for Feiao or anyone who knows. Is the DAC portion of the E7 supposed to work when the E7 is docked to the E9 but turned off?

Because my E7 has been off for days, and I just remembered that I never turned it back on. I did check and it indeed was off, but I've been listening to both my headphones and speakers through my E9.

Was it meant to work this way? Because if so, then that makes the E7 being on pointless when using it through the E9, and it will save the E7's OLED screen from aging if people didn't want to use keylock...

The E7 and E9 just got better then!

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #215 of 752
Nope, at least not on my laptop, E7 has too be powered on to work as a DAC so that I could use headphone connected to E9. That actually makes sense, doesn't it? If E7 is off, there is no working sound card at all, hence no sound.

Quote:
Question for Feiao or anyone who knows. Is the DAC portion of the E7 supposed to work when the E7 is docked to the E9 but turned off?

Because my E7 has been off for days, and I just remembered that I never turned it back on. I did check and it indeed was off, but I've been listening to both my headphones and speakers through my E9.

Was it meant to work this way? Because if so, then that makes the E7 being on pointless when using it through the E9, and it will save the E7's OLED screen from aging if people didn't want to use keylock...

The E7 and E9 just got better then!

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #216 of 752
That is brilliant!

Quote:
Peep this:

This was one of the first things I did after receiving this engineering sample from FiiO. The marker slot is flat, so what I did was take some white address labels (plenty of those around here
wink.gif
) and cut a 1mm thin strip of it, trimmed it to the correct length, and stuck it in there. 

I like it a lot.

Jack

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #217 of 752

Great idea...I like how this would be removable unlike a paint marker.
Quote:
Peep this:

wink.gif

I like it a lot.

Jack

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #218 of 752
I guess I'm lucky that it's 'defective' then? It definitely sounds exactly the same no matter if my E7 is on or off.

Quote:
Nope, at least not on my laptop, E7 has too be powered on to work as a DAC so that I could use headphone connected to E9. That actually makes sense, doesn't it? If E7 is off, there is no working sound card at all, hence no sound.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #219 of 752
That is very intersting! My laptop shows that current source is USB DAC(E7 in this case) as long as E7 sits in he dock, whether it on or off. While E7 is off, no sound coming out.
So I guess this might depend on how the computer handel the priority of its sound system.

Quote:
I guess I'm lucky that it's 'defective' then? It definitely sounds exactly the same no matter if my E7 is on or off.

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #220 of 752
Quote:

I remember Jack saying he has the older model which will still work as a DAC when off. But you just got yours right? The newest E7's have the FiiO logo glow a dim red when docked.

I would like some more clarification on this if anyone has answers.

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #221 of 752
Hmm...

I bought mine like 1 month ago... I hope is the one with the nice logo :p

Must wait until december when my friend brings me my E9 to test it...

Still sooo far...

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #222 of 752
I got my E7 months ago, I think from a Chinese store (I think it was Dealextreme, can't remember...doesn't glow). I got my E9 as soon as it was available at Micca's store.

The E7 has been 100% perfect. So I guess mine is just an older model that allows the DAC to work even it's docked to the E9 while it's off.

Just really wondering if it was something that was suposed to hapen back then or not. No issues with either product.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #223 of 752
Super-early, brief impressions time!
I just got the amp today.  I was a little confused at first trying to figure out how to connect the E9 to my uDAC, due to all the connections in the back.  Anyway, got it set up, and I think I heard my HD600s actually say, "Hey!  Wake up!"  They came alive.  Super dynamic and fast.  Might have added a bit to the bottom end, but the difference is negligible.  I also received another present from the Headphone Fairy today:  the Ultrasone HFI-780s.  Sorry, Sennheiser, but the bass in the HD600s just got spanked by the Ultrasones.  It's gorgeous, and makes the lower notes in a song sound like real music.  Anyway, they sound great through the amp.  A quick A/B between the uDAC and the E9 gives me the impression that the amp adds a good portion of body and warmth to the headphones.  Could be just psychoacoustics, but I'll put this amp in the win column.

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #224 of 752
Got My E9 today, first quick Impression with my ATH-M50 (changed ear pads for less boomy sound) : wide soundstage, very clean and transparent.
I'll test it with the E7 later.
I wish it had 2 docks : one for E7 and the other for iPod...not a big deal, but if it had 2 docks it would have been perfect for me.

Love Shane from Lambayrules - great seller.

DAMN IT !!!   I LOVE FiiO STUFF SO MUCH - I'M ADDICTED !!!

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #225 of 752
Done! :)

Quote:
I was thinking Mangamonster should rename the thread to "The Official Fiio E9 Thread" or something akin to it, as this is mostly where all of us will go to comment on the E9. It will help from other E9 threads popping up too!

Quote:
I docked the E7 with the E9 instead of using the Line in and after listening to some bass heavy tracks I can really tell that it is not lacking in that department with the D2000's.  Down In It from Pretty Hate Machine sounds
L3000.gif
  I think I will keep it docked for a while, it still would be good to have the option to use the EQ settings on the E7 while docked also.

Yeah, I honestly dunno why Fiio took out the ability to use the EQ settings of the E7 when docked. o_O

As for Ipod use, you can easily buy Fiio's L3 LOD Cable and hook the Ipod up to the E9's Line In. The E7 is unnecessary in this equation, but when you're on the go, the Ipod + L3 would obviously work well with the E7 as a portable amp. The E7 and E9 are great to have together because each one has their own separate use, as well as working together when you have the ability to use a DAC.

UPDATE

The 3.5mm input MAY have issues maintaining both channels if not put in correctly. Sometimes you have to work your headphone's plug in or you'll lose one channel. I have absolutely no problems with the 1/4" (6.35mm) input. So if anyone has any problems with the typical 3.5mm input, perhaps use the 6.35mm adapter that I'm sure all headphones come with as an add-on or normally. Either way, the 3.5mm works, it's just slightly more finicky than the 6.35mm input.

UPDATE 2

Okay, this is COMPLETELY unnecessary as the E7 alone already does a bang up job with these two, but I tested the E9 with both the M50s and Creative Aurvana Live. Holy smokes, do they sound ****ing fantastic! What's funny to me is just how comparable these two are to each other. Like REALLY similar in sound. Last time I tested them out was with the E7, and the E9 is no different. These two are FANTASTIC closed headphones for the price.
smily_headphones1.gif
They're both easy to drive, but both exhibit some pretty good sound with some amping. Not much of a plus with the E9, but just wanted to post my impressions on it with these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back