The Official Eddie Current FOUR 45 Thread
Oct 19, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #331 of 646
Just borrowed Vega from my friend, it is bright, and very detailed. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #332 of 646
Purrin, you find the Vega bright? First time I've heard that. What are you favorite couple of DACs?

Yes, Vega is bright and hyperdetailed. In EXACT mode, a little better. Care must be taken for system matching. My favorite DAC is the one I am currently using and the R2R stuff from the 90s. Looking forward to the Yggy which I know will sound like the R2R stuff from the 90s, but probably even better.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #333 of 646
Purrin, you find the Vega bright? First time I've heard that. What are you favorite couple of DACs?

It depend of the amp, I never found the Vega fatiguing with the Taurus. With the Lau, it's an other story!

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #334 of 646
Yes, Vega is bright and hyperdetailed. In EXACT mode, a little better. Care must be taken for system matching. My favorite DAC is the one I am currently using and the R2R stuff from the 90s. Looking forward to the Yggy which I know will sound like the R2R stuff from the 90s, but probably even better.

Thanks. That's intersting. I have enjoyed it so far but I'll see how it comes with my incoming Stratus

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #335 of 646
  I realise that when I turn on the music and volume to max, but have no phones plugged in, I can hear the music coming out from the back of the amp. Anyone know why that happens?

I had a similar experience with the original LAu loaner.  When I turned it all the way up, no headphones plugged in, put my ear real close to the amp... I could hear Pavarotti!

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #336 of 646

I realise that when I turn on the music and volume to max, but have no phones plugged in, I can hear the music coming out from the back of the amp. Anyone know why that happens?

I had a similar experience with the original LAu loaner.  When I turned it all the way up, no headphones plugged in, put my ear real close to the amp... I could hear Pavarotti!

^ was you the guy on "Hunt for Red October"? . . .  lol . . .

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #337 of 646

Anyone heard Abyss 1266 with the Eddie Curent 4-45 at CanJam RMAF 2014 ?

This combo was supposed to be used by Abyss at CanJam RMAF 2014 to demonstrate their Headphones.

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #338 of 646
  I think so.
I am still waiting for my EC 445 but i have just changed the NOS original condo tubes in my souga for a EML solid plate and i find it sounds now better. With more bass extension, and a little clearer treble and a better dynamic and a detail too. I find the changes more than as if i have changed a cable.

Are you still waiting for your 4-45 ?   I was told by Judi that my 4-45 is completed and soon to be shipped.

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #339 of 646
Hi,
yes i am still waiting. I was being told it comes this month so i hope to get it soon. I have also bought a elm solid plate for this amp. I am very excited.
Meanwhile i have tried 2 new things in my system. I have replaced a speaker cable (to hifiman adapter) with nordost wpm reference what gave the system some more space and detail (still little less than srax sr009 with woo audio wes) and some more refinement in highs. You can easily hear the change of speaker cable which means that you can ''tune'' the system to sound what you like (same as with tubes). I find it very  exciting than to have a possibility to experiment with different parts of my system.
And the second thing is the cable from forza audio works that allows me to hear abyss directly from speaker out of my souga. Which gives more body to the sound. A little darker but with more substance/meat. The only (small) problem is that you hear a tiny hum throw abyss when no music is being played. As soon as you hear the music it is not a problem anymore.
Anyway. If i should recommend someone a good amp for abyss i would say, ''buy a 300B SET'' and use hifiman adapter. I find 300B with its forward mids and smooth highs suits abyss very well. IMHO better than LiAu cavalli audio. And one can buy a 300B SET used for 1-2 thousand bucks.

Pawel
Ps. I have read that abyss had 1 room at RMAF with different amps and i have found no reply on it. :frowning2:

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #340 of 646

Hi Purrin,

With the level of transparency of the 4-45, is the Gungnir capable of matching that level of transparency in the chain? Or is it showing sign of an Achilles heel?

Zeissiez

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #342 of 646
  Hi,
yes i am still waiting.....

Cortazar, while we booth wait for our 4-45, may I ask you a question about your Total DAC Server + D1-DAC ?   I am convinced by the D1-DAC, but still not by the D1-Server.

Indeed, when I spoke with Vincent 2 years ago, at the early stage of his server, I was concern about the usability of his Server's application interface. I now that the hardware was top but the usability much less than for example the Aurender's application.  Plus the fact of needing a NAS seemed to me more complex than the in-built HD of the Aurender.

So... are you happy with your Total DAC Server + DAC  ?  is the Server usability good enough ? the  User Interface praticable and powerfull ?  

have you considered other music servers ?

thanks in advance

PS : I read several time that a R2R DAC is recommended (or at least "the best choice") for the EC4-45 !  is it correct ?  why ? 

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #343 of 646
Totaldac system ist the first file audio source that i have and i must say it is a mature product. The ipad app to choose anp play the music is very userfriendly and works flawlessly. I use ripnas to rip the cd's and can transfer them easily to totaldac-nas. I own no cd player anymore ( and i had some very good ones) i i do not think i will ever own one.
The software updates are easy to make too (you just replace a micro sd card at the back of the server.
And one more thing the server is also a reclocker which make the dac sound better. And Vincent is a nice guy that answer your emails very quickly if you have any questions.
Ps. i may be able to answer this question when i have a 4-45.

cheers

Pawel

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #344 of 646
Thanks. That's intersting. I have enjoyed it so far but I'll see how it comes with my incoming Stratus

ill be doing the same thing - matching DNA Stratus with yggy. Hopefully it will be a good pairing 

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #345 of 646
Hi guys. I have done a detailed shootout for the Woo WA5 and the EC 4-45. If you are interested please see the following thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/740466/epic-woo-wa5-eddie-current-4-45-shootout

Users who are viewing this thread

Back