The Official Eddie Current FOUR 45 Thread
Oct 14, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #316 of 646
  Further update - did the Anax 2.0 mod to the HD800. The treble is much smoother, without a hint of the annoying glare (unless it exists in the recording itself). Starting to enjoy the HD800 + 445 combo a bit more than the SR009 + 445 combo.

Love it!

My final adjustment would be the EML 45 solid plates which are arriving this week.

Do you already have the EML 45 mesh plates?

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #317 of 646
I am using vintage globe 45. Jac recommended the solid plates for a more natural and balanced sound. I think the Russian driver tubes 6C45Pi are effective in giving a more exciting sound such that adding the mesh plate 45s will tend to tip things overboard in the aggressive end of the spectrum.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #318 of 646
Purrin, did you enjoy the combo Master 7 with 4-45 ?

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #319 of 646
Yes. As long as you like the sound of the DAC, should be fine. It's a matter of preferences. I saw a few posts back where someone said the Vega was too fatiguing. This is certainly possible because Vega is a bright DAC and 4-45 is neutral (leaner than other EC amps) than most tube amps. It depends on headphones too. I would probably be fine with a Audeze headphone and Vega DAC, but with HD800, could be difficult. Lots of variables involved.

Generally, I prefer the warmer, thicker sounding DACs with 4-45 with more neutral or brighter headphones like Abyss or HD800. M7 tends to be that way more or less depending upon transport or USB converter used. The SFD-1 I current have certainly is on the warmer and thicker sounding side.

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #320 of 646
  Yes. As long as you like the sound of the DAC, should be fine. It's a matter of preferences. I saw a few posts back where someone said the Vega was too fatiguing. This is certainly possible because Vega is a bright DAC and 4-45 is neutral (leaner than other EC amps) than most tube amps. It depends on headphones too. I would probably be fine with a Audeze headphone and Vega DAC, but with HD800, could be difficult. Lots of variables involved.

Generally, I prefer the warmer, thicker sounding DACs with 4-45 with more neutral or brighter headphones like Abyss or HD800. M7 tends to be that way more or less depending upon transport or USB converter used. The SFD-1 I current have certainly is on the warmer and thicker sounding side.

Thanks Purrin, I find the Vega fatiguing with my Lau + LCD3 F and TH900 (but not fatiguing with a LCD3). I will try to get one unit for review in France.

Still waiting my 4-45 and no news from EC since 3 weeks, it's quite hard to wait without any information...

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #321 of 646
I'll check in with Craig on your 4-45. His office is on my way home from work.

Another DAC to consider may be the Yggy. M7 needs a lot of massaging to get similar technicalities (resolution, attack, dynamics), as Vega. The Vega didn't need a external USB converter IMO. The M7 requires an expensive one, preferable i2s output. The built-in USB or M7 is pretty decent. But pretty decent is not the same as very good or excellent.

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #322 of 646
  I'll check in with Craig on your 4-45. His office is on my way home from work.

Another DAC to consider may be the Yggy. M7 needs a lot of massaging to get similar technicalities (resolution, attack, dynamics), as Vega. The Vega didn't need a external USB converter IMO. The M7 requires an expensive one, preferable i2s output. The built-in USB or M7 is pretty decent. But pretty decent is not the same as very good or excellent.

Thanks! You have to sign inside my 4-45 chassis 
biggrin.gif

I was also thinking about the Yggi (always loved schiit product). My other option was a Metrum Hex but it can not handle using RCA and XLR at the same time even if one of the amp was switched off. (I don't want to unplug every time one the amp for using my dac).

Go back to the 4-45! Someone had a chance to try it at Canjam RMAF?

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #324 of 646
Hahahahahha, that is so cool, I want that too, I mean next time I purchased from EC again. 

Craig said it's just been completed (as in put together) and will be undergoing testing.

I will sign the underside of your amp.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #325 of 646
I realise that when I turn on the music and volume to max, but have no phones plugged in, I can hear the music coming out from the back of the amp. Anyone know why that happens?

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #326 of 646
what??? how can that happen???? So funny

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #329 of 646

Craig said it's just been completed (as in put together) and will be undergoing testing.

I will sign the underside of your amp.

Thanks for the update Purrin! My amp will be collector :D

I realise that when I turn on the music and volume to max, but have no phones plugged in, I can hear the music coming out from the back of the amp. Anyone know why that happens?

Maybe the 4-45 really enjoy your music and start whistle along the melody ^^

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #330 of 646
Purrin, you find the Vega bright? First time I've heard that. What are you favorite couple of DACs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back