The Official Eddie Current FOUR 45 Thread
Nov 2, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #361 of 646
Thanks for the kind words. Would love to hear your impressions too.

I have swapped in the EML 45 solid plates again. I did not use them for the review because they have yet to be burned in. The clarity went up a notch, which is amazing as everything is now razor sharp and in focus. The globe 45s were used after all and may have lost some emission. I still prefer the globes as there's less than 10 hours on the EML 45s and they sound a bit rough. I don't like how the EML reduces the soundstage, enlarges spatial images and makes everything sound more aggressive. I hope these negative aspects will attenuate as burn in continues...

If the EML 45 solid plates are "a bit rough" may be the MESH plate EML will be a good compromise ? :xf_eek:

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #362 of 646
.... I do not think the AMR is end game, might be looking at Lampi 7, dCs and MSB stuff at the end of the day. But the AMR is good for my budget!

Will you include the NAGRA HD DAC  and the  Berkley alpha DAC reference serie in, your list of "end game" ? (two opposite approach: NAGRA convert everything to DSD,  berkley only play PCM !)

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #363 of 646

That new Berkley Alpha DAC got the Golden Ear Award from The Absolute Sound September issue.  I can also recommend the dCS Debussy in the same price range if used.  The Debussy will take a Word Clock input whereas the Berkley doesn't.

I've gone back and forth with the LCD-3 and HD800, and right now I prefer the LCD-3 with the 445, but I'm using a 30 band equalizer adjusted separately for each headphone as well as my hearing anomalies.   Continuing to burn-in . . . 

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #364 of 646
Clear this up for me guys - Is the EC - 445 the Leviathan? The god amp? They are all the same thing right? 

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #365 of 646

Thanks for the kind words. Would love to hear your impressions too.

I have swapped in the EML 45 solid plates again. I did not use them for the review because they have yet to be burned in. The clarity went up a notch, which is amazing as everything is now razor sharp and in focus. The globe 45s were used after all and may have lost some emission. I still prefer the globes as there's less than 10 hours on the EML 45s and they sound a bit rough. I don't like how the EML reduces the soundstage, enlarges spatial images and makes everything sound more aggressive. I hope these negative aspects will attenuate as burn in continues...

If the EML 45 solid plates are "a bit rough" may be the MESH plate EML will be a good compromise ?
redface.gif

I've got the EML Mesh Plate, but I'm not confident it is the right tube for this amp, or maybe there are better driver tubes for the EML tubes?  

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #366 of 646

I've got the EML Mesh Plate, but I'm not confident it is the right tube for this amp, or maybe there are better driver tubes for the EML tubes?  

can you elaborate on this statement ? What is wrong with the MESH plate ?  (I have indeed ordered MESH for my 4.45  
frown.gif
)

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #367 of 646
  can you elaborate on this statement ? What is wrong with the MESH plate ?  (I have indeed ordered MESH for my 4.45  
frown.gif

Sorry, there are several caveats that I should have made clear.  

First, it it way to early to judge the EML Mesh Plate 45's, I only have 8-12 hours on them.  The protocol for EML tubes, and probably others, is to let them completely cool off every couple hours.  So realistically it could take a week of periodic burn-in to achieve a minimum of 50 hours.

Second, my previous amplifier is a state-of-the-art, high-end Eddie Current Balancing Act (with EML 300b Mesh Plate's, an honest-to-god NOS 5692 (6SN7) tube, and Mullard Z-90 rectifiers).  That is a God like amplifier and very stiff competition for any amp.

Third, my HD800 headphones may have a problem.  The HD800s have a custom hard-wired copper cable, but the LCD-3 has a Silver Dragon 2 installed.  The LCD-3 sounds fabulous on the BA whereas the HD800 doesn't.  I was judging the  445 with the HD800s but I've since gone back to the LCD-3's which sound better (maybe).   

So the conclusion has to be that it is too early to judge, and I may have a headphone problem. 

Eventually there will be a shoot-out on tube selection for the 445 (drivers and outputs), hopefully on this thread and hopefully soon.

Last night I listened on the LCD-3 and it was sounding rather good, very much like the Balancing Act with EML 300b Mesh Plates, but with perhaps a cleaner crisper sound.  I do have some vintage 45 tubes I will try out one of these days.

I think Chengka7 had the right strategy in using vintage tubes until it is known which, if any, of the expensive EML tubes sound best.  

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #368 of 646
Nov 3, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #369 of 646
Just get my 4-45 today, Vega isn't the best dac for this amp, no doubt! My Metrum Hex will arrive tomorrow :)

Some pics :

Thanks Purrin for the dedicace 
biggrin.gif

Time to enjoy my LCD3 Fazor and TH900!

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #371 of 646
Congrats Ony ! I'm impatient to hear yours impressions !

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #373 of 646
  Just get my 4-45 today, Vega isn't the best dac for this amp, no doubt! My Metrum Hex will arrive tomorrow :)

Congrats!

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #374 of 646

Some pics :

Thanks Purrin for the dedicace 
biggrin.gif

I am happy for you ony38 ! I am sure that you will enjoy it.  and.... We are ALL waiting for your feed-back.

Re the DAC: could you please tell me why did you choosed the Metrum Hex ?  did you considered other DAC to feed the 445 ?  ( ARM777 ? TotalDAC ? .....)

PS : can you take a picture of the back of the 445 please ?  I nec-ver saw the connectors available.

PS : what tubes are you using ?  do you consider alternative tube for tube rolling ? 

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #375 of 646

No. Not the same.

so the levi is different because of the separate power supply and different transformers? Does anyone actually have one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back