The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,132 of 2,481
I can't get mine to update tidal. I can't get it to pickup wifi unless i'm close to the router. total bummer. Also, how can I get spotify on here? googleplay won't work or update apps. How can the apps update? tidal is already out of date? Sorry...i'm NOT an android guy, so this is confusing to me.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #2,133 of 2,481
I can't get mine to update tidal. I can't get it to pickup wifi unless i'm close to the router. total bummer. Also, how can I get spotify on here? googleplay won't work or update apps. How can the apps update? tidal is already out of date? Sorry...i'm NOT an android guy, so this is confusing to me.

The device is not certified for Google Play Services, thus no Play store. Any apps you wish to add need to be side loaded, the same with updates. I don't have a unit yet so can't give you specific instructions optimized for the device. This is why an instruction manual NEEDED to be included with this. There are many ways to do this, but I'd rather not rely on a generic instruction approach. @makethemusic, how about some customer support here? Weak WiFi performance seems to be a quickly recurring issue. Any suggestions or tips for this @makethemusic?

EB, I realize you don't know and are trying to figure out what is going on with your inventory and contracted factory and missing units or tacking numbers, but support for your customers who did receive what they paid for shouldn't be ignored.

@bimmer100, if you don't get any help or support from the community or EB, I will try to help you, but won't be able to for a few days. Perhaps one of the first 45 backers who received units, although with many problems, can chime in here and help a guy out, as they have dealt with the issues you're struggling with. @bimmer100, it isn't as difficult as it may seem to get these things done, so don't be too discouraged over this aspect. If you have to be next to your router to get a signal, that's another matter.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #2,134 of 2,481
XDA-developers has a how-to that looks useful.. Try googling "Sideload an Application on Android" there are plenty of how-to's out there. It's at your own risk when you side load, yes, I know, there is no choice with this device but, use caution as to where you get your files from.

My first gen explorer has pretty good WiFi, we will see when the new one gets here.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #2,135 of 2,481
The device is not certified for Google Play Services, thus no Play store. Any apps you wish to add need to be side loaded, the same with updates. I don't have a unit yet so can't give you specific instructions optimized for the device. This is why an instruction manual NEEDED to be included with this. There are many ways to do this, but I'd rather not rely on a generic instruction approach. @makethemusic, how about some customer support here? Weak WiFi performance seems to be a quickly recurring issue. Any suggestions or tips for this @makethemusic?

EB, I realize you don't know and are trying to figure out what is going on with your inventory and contracted factory and missing units or tacking numbers, but support for your customers who did receive what they paid for shouldn't be ignored.

@bimmer100, if you don't get any help or support from the community or EB, I will try to help you, but won't be able to for a few days. Perhaps one of the first 45 backers who received units, although with many problems, can chime in here and help a guy out, as they have dealt with the issues you're struggling with. @bimmer100, it isn't as difficult as it may seem to get these things done, so don't be too discouraged over this aspect. If you have to be next to your router to get a signal, that's another matter.

As always, all customers looking for support are welcome to contact our support staff at team@eboxaudio.com as we do not perform official customer service within the Head-Fi forum. @bimmer100 please contact us with your questions and we will be happy to work with you to help you :)

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #2,136 of 2,481
Spotify installed, downloading songs, wifi seems solid. Loud popping when swiping right or left from song to song on Spotify or if I forward or rewind the track, fairly annoying! Haven't tried my flac files yet (they're being downloaded to a memory card).

Sound is as I recalled, warm, sultry with that Explorer ceiling, good bass (Meze 99's), clear separation.

I'll take my Noble k10's & my HD 650's to work tomorrow and give it a good run though. Don't know if it makes a difference but I thought someone said the volume knob didn't work with after market audio players? It works with Spotify.

IMG_20170628_222224.jpg
IMG_20170628_222202.jpg
IMG_20170628_222102.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #2,137 of 2,481
It is commendable that they seem to have again used DHL express , I have backed another KS project that is shipping/has shipped but delivery is not expected for another month or so. That is also very much delayed by 7-8 months.

Mine is already in Gatwick and expected delivery is tomorrow.

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #2,138 of 2,481
Spotify installed, downloading songs, wifi seems solid. Loud popping when swiping right or left from song to song on Spotify or if I forward or rewind the track, fairly annoying! Haven't tried my flac files yet (they're being downloaded to a memory card).

Sound is as I recalled, warm, sultry with that Explorer ceiling, good bass (Meze 99's), clear separation.

I'll take my Noble k10's & my HD 650's to work tomorrow and give it a good run though. Don't know if it makes a difference but I thought someone said the volume knob didn't work with after market audio players? It works with Spotify.

Good to hear MadDane.
Except for the popping.
As long as it's not happening during listening, or TOO loud, I think I'll be fine with it.

I look forward to your further reactions to the Explorer (anyone else received theirs?)

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #2,139 of 2,481
Weak wifi was my issue as well but it does depend on router / interference from too many other routers. In less busy places it is much more robust and with a better router (mine is really pathetic but I have moved and changing it so we will see) the connection is solid.

As far as Spotify or other GPS apps find a reliable APK listing website download the one you need copy it in your explorer or an microsd card. Then use the APK installer that's on the player to find the file you downloaded and install on your player. It is not as easy as GPS but not too complicated either and that's from an iOS exclusive user.

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #2,140 of 2,481
It is commendable that they seem to have again used DHL express , I have backed another KS project that is shipping/has shipped but delivery is not expected for another month or so. That is also very much delayed by 7-8 months.

Mine is already in Gatwick and expected delivery is tomorrow.

Nice. Hoping mine is on the same transport as a fellow UK backer - I'm one of the "missing few", so guess we'll find out tomorrow whether it's just missing tracking numbers or something else tomorrow if yours arrives and mine doesn't. Knew which result In hoping for! :wink:

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #2,141 of 2,481
Still no word from EB regarding the missing DHL tracking numbers. And now I'm hearing that the new units are exhibiting static and popping? I'm certain that EB stated the pop should only be audible when switching from one bit rate to another. Bummer.

@-Kenny- and @Jackpot77 (and anyone else who has yet to receive a tracking number or Explorer) - please post if/when you get an explanation OR if your Explorer arrives unannounced. Thanks!!!

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #2,142 of 2,481
Still no word from EB regarding the missing DHL tracking numbers. And now I'm hearing that the new units are exhibiting static and popping? I'm certain that EB stated the pop should only be audible when switching from one bit rate to another. Bummer.

@-Kenny- and @Jackpot77 (and anyone else who has yet to receive a tracking number or Explorer) - please post if/when you get an explanation OR if your Explorer arrives unannounced. Thanks!!!

Will do. Should know by close of play UK time tomorrow if the items are in transit, based on a previous post from another UK backer, as that's when their unit is expected to be delivered.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #2,143 of 2,481
And now I'm hearing that the new units are exhibiting static and popping? I'm certain that EB stated the pop should only be audible when switching from one bit rate to another. Bummer.

Yep, that was the exact explanation. EB also stated these units represented the best they were capable of. Static with no wifi etc. turned on doesn't sound good, hopefully that's a one-off, but still shouldn't happen. This stuff isn't firmware related, its hardware.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #2,145 of 2,481
My Explorer arrived! (UK)
Came a day early :)

I'm convinced that everyone else's will arrive in the next day or two despite the absence of some tracking numbers.
I have nothing to base this assumption on other than hearing of folk receiving stuff under these circumstances before, on several occasions.

Good luck to those of you still waiting, I'll see you all over on the Impressions thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back