The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jun 29, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2,161 of 2,481
Then, IMO, no news isn't good news. Neither are most of the reports on how many of the problems have been fixed. There seems to be at least one well-functioning unit though, hopefully there will be more.

Its probably sitting on my front porch, weird that it says signed for though. To be honest, I wouldn't be too upset if it isn't there. Interestingly, my Finders got delivered to the wrong address, a delivery error, not even close to my house. The guy emailed me that he had my package and had opened it before realizing it wasn't for him. Which was fine, that's how he knew the email address. Maybe it happened again.

On the DHL site, I can view a letter that says it is proof that it was delivered to the customer, I guess because they say so. I like DHL, but that isn't right.
Looking forward to your review...

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,162 of 2,481
I've seen and read those reports, my hope, is that any issue can be resolved without too much hindrance.

I wish you well with whatever is waiting on your return. Hopefully a fully functioning unit, as expected, keep us advised and I look forward to your findings.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,163 of 2,481
Quick Review....
YMMV!!!

All songs are in flac
USB Audio Player PRO
The following settings are on, everything else is off or unchecked.
Play through android
Use USB DAC
Bit perfect (USB audio)
Auto scan on start-up
Fade in cover art
Ask to exit
Volume control Hardware volume control (if available)
Stereo hardware volume slider
Fade out volume control
USB tweak 1
Free USB bandwidth after playback

Paul Simon - Mother & Child Reunion 96000Hz 24bit VModa XS
Great mids, very smooth and well balanced, not a lot of bass but enough, highs seem a bit clipped.

Leonard Cohen - Got a Little Secret (Live at Auckland) 44100Hz 24bit VModa VS
Crystal clear highs, mids are clear with the classic Explorer sound warmth, good sharp fast bass.

International Guitar Night - For Itamar by Brian Gore 44100Hz 16bit Sennheiser HD 650,
Beautiful acoustics, as if I were back in the Napa Opera house when it was originally played.
Crystal clear sharp guitars, incredible separation and stage presence, beautiful bass.

The Lumineers - Ho Hey 96000Hz 24bit Kaiser K10 Custom IEM
Great clarity, perfect separation, fast sharp treble & bass, perfect mids.

2L the Nordic Sound - Ives: Overture & March '1776' Sennheiser HD 650
Fast responsive bass, flawless mids and perfect highs.

Soul Brothers Mitt Jackson & Ray Charles - How Long Blues 192000Hz 24bit Kaiser K10 Custom IEM
This was really amazing! Like I was sitting in the studio/ nightclub. Fantastic recording to begin with, magical on the Explorer!

Still has the incredibly annoying clicks/ popping when changing sampling rate! There are however; no clicking/popping noises when changing same sampling rate songs, unlike Spotify!

Overall... I REALLY like the sound. The footprint is smaller than my Onkyo and it's prettier.
For $240.00 you really can't beat it! For $600? You decide...

EDIT:
1) The annoying clicking/popping when sliding forward or backward by songs in Spotify has stopped since I changed to: Volume control Hardware volume control (if available) instead of software. It's still there when pressing pause or start. Bummer.

2) New Issue... when playing Spotify.... if the screen goes black (power saving), Spotify stops and USB Audio Pro starts and plays instead of Spotify. Wierd and stupid and ANNOYING!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #2,164 of 2,481
@MadDane, glad you're liking the unit, seems like you got a decent one. Those pops might absolutely ruin things for me, depending how loud they are. Every time I'd hear it, I'd think "why am I not listening to my Shanling right now?" At least that's the only noises you're getting, some people are reporting a lot worse.

Sam made the claim earlier that a lot of players make these noises, but I've never come across any that do. Of course, I haven't heard all that many players. Does anybody what other players that make these noises?

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,165 of 2,481
RE: Missing DHL Tracking Numbers
Sam got back to me and said he should have a “full update” tonight or tomorrow. However, this is the same response he had yesterday, so…take from that what you will. I then asked if he could simply confirm or deny shipment of my unit, but he never replied.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #2,167 of 2,481
RE: Missing DHL Tracking Numbers
Sam got back to me and said he should have a “full update” tonight or tomorrow. However, this is the same response he had yesterday, so…take from that what you will. I then asked if he could simply confirm or deny shipment of my unit, but he never replied.

I'd hazard a guess it means he's still waiting on confirmation from the factory about what was shipped - they went direct from China, so with no "man on the ground" it will be pretty difficult to get a quick answer. Hoping tomorrow will shed some light on things - given that a few UK backers have said theirs was due to be delivered today, In guessing if mine doesn't arrive tomorrow then there might be a little more of a wait in store.

Happy to wait, as long as we get a straight answer from EB soon about what has happened and when things will be sent if it turns out it units are either awaiting manufacture or sitting in China somewhere. Not in desperate need of a DAP as I have the Aune M1S and a demo version of the new QP2R for the next few weeks, but would definitely like to hear the Explorer head to head with the Questyle unit before I have to send it back.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #2,168 of 2,481
Well, my package was on the front porch when I got home. I still don't know why DHL said it was signed for, would have been interesting if it was missing. The outer box looks really beat up and is encased in tape. Won't be opening it up tonight, this wasn't the best DHL experience I've had.

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,169 of 2,481
Just got mine. Is there a trick to inserting the microSDXC card or did I buy the wrong thing? It only goes part way in and is tilted at an angle.

Kind of annoying that it showed up with an old version of Tidal and no instructions on how to update. I clicked the update button and that did not work. Not an Android user and not a good experience so far.

Exterior looks very nice though.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #2,170 of 2,481
I'd hazard a guess it means he's still waiting on confirmation from the factory about what was shipped - they went direct from China, so with no "man on the ground" it will be pretty difficult to get a quick answer. Hoping tomorrow will shed some light on things - given that a few UK backers have said theirs was due to be delivered today, In guessing if mine doesn't arrive tomorrow then there might be a little more of a wait in store.

Happy to wait, as long as we get a straight answer from EB soon about what has happened and when things will be sent if it turns out it units are either awaiting manufacture or sitting in China somewhere. Not in desperate need of a DAP as I have the Aune M1S and a demo version of the new QP2R for the next few weeks, but would definitely like to hear the Explorer head to head with the Questyle unit before I have to send it back.

I think the scenario you originally proposed is exactly what happened. "No man on the ground" really captures this project in a nutshell. It shouldn't take days to get to the bottom of such a fundamental and basic question, regardless of any language barrier, etc. Sam could answer one question right now and solve the mystery. Were the replacement units scheduled to be produced and shipped as part of this run? All indications are no. He already knows the answer to that, and has all along, and won't answer it. Sam scolded me for suggesting EB (he as Chief Commercial Officer, since this is their Chief Commercial Product) should be on site for production instead of relying on independent contractors whom he stated he couldn't rely on, saying it would be of no value because he isn't an engineer, and it would be an unfair burden on him personally. It doesn't require an engineer to make sure the correct number and identity of units are produced and shipped. I'm not affected by this "confusion" personally, but as a professional I find it just absurd. If I ever let stuff like this happen on a project I was in charge of, I would have been shown the door and rightfully so. In EB's case, I'm not sure if anybody is in charge. I really wish I would have been one of the "missing" because there are still backers who want their players and I'm just indifferent to it at this point. I've got a banged up package sitting here, with possible damaged goods inside, and I'm really not interested enough to cut through all the packing tape to see what's inside. If it was from any other manufacturer it would have been opened and inspected hours ago. If I'm too blunt for any backer I apologize. If I'm too blunt for EB, not so much, you've earned it over the years.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,171 of 2,481
Getting a loud pop when using the back/forward buttons in Tidal, even with no sample rate change. Also, when advancing a track.

The physical Home button seems like a waste with the software buttons (triangle, circle, square) always shown. I wonder if it could be remapped to pause? I'm already missing having a quick one tap way to pause.

Sound quality promising on quick listen. More tomorrow.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #2,173 of 2,481
for my run one device the SD card goes in with the printing on the screen side and the contacts toward the back of the unit. It should go in straight. I also have to use a credit card to push it all the way in. the slot is a little too deep especially if you have short finger nails.
Just got mine. Is there a trick to inserting the microSDXC card or did I buy the wrong thing? It only goes part way in and is tilted at an angle.

Kind of annoying that it showed up with an old version of Tidal and no instructions on how to update. I clicked the update button and that did not work. Not an Android user and not a good experience so far.

Exterior looks very nice though.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #2,174 of 2,481
for my run one device the SD card goes in with the printing on the screen side and the contacts toward the back of the unit. It should go in straight. I also have to use a credit card to push it all the way in. the slot is a little too deep especially if you have short finger nails.

Yeah, I was being a bit of dope and inserting the card upside down. Never used one before. Getting it to latch in took me a bit to figure out too. But all good now. Looking forward to doing some listening tomorrow at work.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #2,175 of 2,481
I got my Explorer in NC just a little bit ago. I'm trying to sideload Google Play Music (which I do pay for) and no luck there as it requires Google Play Services which cannot be downloaded. Bummer there but maybe a switch to Spotify will work.

Have you tried sideloading Google Play Services? There are instructions on the net for loading GPS & the Play Store onto Kindles. Seems similar. I plan to give it a try once I can get files onto a memory card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back