The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jun 30, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #2,177 of 2,481
Latest update from Echobox (0020 UK time) for those who are still waiting:

"Thanks for reaching back out, we will be posting an update tonight for everyone who didn't receive a tracking number, as we are still investigating the problem. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to reach out!"

Hopefully 'The Missing' will find out more at some point today.

Jun 30, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #2,179 of 2,481
I'm having a lot of issues:
- Getting soft occasional static while playing downloaded tracks in Tidal like it can't load the data fast enough.
- Getting drop outs when streaming.

- Tidal only using memory from my SD card. Should I not have setup the card as internal storage? A manual sure would have been helpful.
- It complains that my SD card is slow, but I think I got a good one (SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SDXC)
- It complains that my WiFi at work is weak, but my iPhone says it is strong and there is a wifi repeater 15 feet from me.
- The screen does not rotate when I turn it so that the volume faces me. I tried changing the rotation setting, but it only caused it to go to portrait mode. I specifically asked EB about this feature and was told it was supported.
- Clicking and soft popping when I change tracks in Tidal.
- Clicks a few times a 10-15 seconds after I turn off the unit (weird, but not a big deal)

Lastly, it is really a smart phone without cellular. This means you must muck about in the endless Android settings screens and some knowledge of Android is necessary. I know this is appealing for some, but I thought I was buying a music player that used Android under the hood, not in your face. I don't like the UX at all.

On the plus side, it looks great. It can drive my Mr. Speakers Aeons with no problem. It may even sound pretty good, except for the drop outs.

All in all, I'm probably going to end up tossing it in the garbage (can't see selling it as-is) and buying a different DAP.

Echobox is supposed to call me this afternoon, so I will wait and see what they can do to resolve all of this.

Edited to crossout resolved issues. Posted about it below.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #2,180 of 2,481
I haven't bothered to turn mine on yet, as I expect lots of problems and with no instructions its going to take some time figuring things out even though I know Android 6 well, and I already have another player. It's not high on my priority list to spend a bunch of time with it. Good luck, not sure how it can be resolved without a replacement or a refund.

Your card should be plenty fast. Many people have complained of weak Wi Fi. Others have not, it likely depends on traffic and proximity. Clearly it seems worse in Wi Fi performance than the average phone or tablet. It might be adequate for some, but not for others.

Full screen rotation should be supported as Android 6 supports it and they claim its stock Android. Maybe its the music app they use that doesn't support it, unless it fails in all situations.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #2,181 of 2,481
Your card should be plenty fast. Many people have complained of weak Wi Fi. Others have not, it likely depends on traffic and proximity. Clearly it seems worse in Wi Fi performance than the average phone or tablet. It might be adequate for some, but not for others.

Full screen rotation should be supported as Android 6 supports it and they claim its stock Android. Maybe its the music app they use that doesn't support it, unless it fails in all situations.

The rotation fails in all situations. Hopefully it is a setting or something.

I formatted the SD card as removable storage and the dropouts/noise went away in Tidal. It actually sounds quite good, so if the dropouts stay away, I may end up using and keeping it. Unfortunately, Tidal will only save to the internal storage.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,183 of 2,481
That's good, my Wi-Fi strength has been performing almost exactly as well as my other Wi-Fi devices.
I have been having issues with Tidal too, but it's exactly the same issues I have been having on my cell-phone (Android), and another DAP that I had a loan of (i5) so I assume that it's my Wi-Fi network, or my crappy rural internet connection.
I'm hoping to do all my Tidal listening from SD, once I get one.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,184 of 2,481
I wonder if it has anything to do with the amount of RAM used when the card is mounted and how the buffer fills. Since the Explorer only has 1Gig. Most phones now a days have 3 or more Gig of RAM.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,187 of 2,481
Now my WiFi signal strength says Good. Maybe my SD card is defective or it is a coincidence, but it feels like reformatting the card as removable storage fixed all the slowness issues.

Removable storage is IMO the better way to configure it. A defective card can cause all sorts of seemingly unrelated problems with electronics, especially cameras.

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,190 of 2,481
Are we 100% sure that this is impossible? Seems like a huge limitation for the device.

I'm not even 10% sure. :wink:

I just know that it does not show in the Tidal settings and it sort of makes sense, since Tidal can't allow you to transfer the music to another device (of course they could encrypt it, but I don't think they do).

At the risk of giving someone whiplash, I've got to say I've gone from being ready to pitch the Echbox into the trash to being fairly happy with it. It sounds very good with my Aeon and has plenty of power. The stand is nicer than it looked in the pictures. Still have some issues and don't like the UI, but Tidal works and that was the main point for me, so I'm good now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back