The Official Bose Bashing Thread
Feb 13, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #46 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Precisely, then why are they charging Hi-Fi price for Low-Fi product? See even you recognizing Bose is Low-Fi.

If we agree they are Low-Fi, sure they sound good for what they are, low fidelity product for the masses. But their value is piss poor compare to other Low-Fi products.

I don't think anyone would be bashing BOSE had they priced their equipment accordingly, ie 5X lower than what they are now!

I never said they were "low-fi".

Look around my friend, EVERYONE is overpriced.

You think Bose is overpriced? Their flagship loudspeaker, the 901 retails for $1300.00 with active EQ.

Esoteric Audio... $15,000.00+ for a CD player?!?!
Avant-Garde speaker systems... up to $131,000.00?!?!
Nordost IC, speaker and power cables... $3000.00+ for a meter?!?!
Moth Audio XANA headphone amp... $7000.00+?!?!

Yes, they are excellent products, but NONE OF THEM are worth what they are charging for them!

Who's overpriced here?
blink.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #47 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he was ironic
wink.gif

Anyway I don´t understand why it´s so popular to bash Bose? I am from Europe and I had no idea what Bose was prior to going over here?

Is there so many hear that have bought Bose headphones, thought they where all that and then realized they where crap? Which from what I have heard they aren´t really.

It´s almost like the Creative driver bashing religion for me or by all means Starforce. Everyone knows it´s bad even people who have never had them or haven´t have issues with it either lol.

this is the bliss of not being in the crosshairs of the Bose marketing department. Come to think of it, that's a good point. Does the Euro market have a headphone product that is hyped significantly over its performance value?

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #48 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never said they were "low-fi".

Look around my friend, EVERYONE is overpriced.

You think Bose is overpriced? Their flagship loudspeaker, the 901 retails for $1300.00 with active EQ.

Esoteric Audio... $15,000.00+ for a CD player?!?!
Avant-Garde speaker systems... up to $131,000.00?!?!
Nordost IC, speaker and power cables... $3000.00+ for a meter?!?!
Moth Audio XANA headphone amp... $7000.00+?!?!

Yes, they are excellent products, but NONE OF THEM are worth what they are charging for them!

Who's overpriced here?
blink.gif

If you have never heard any of those above mentioned product, I say you just need to be quiet about your comments. There is nothing wrong with spending that kind of money for the VERY BEST, but to dupe customers to spend thousands of dollars for bad or horrible product is just wrong.

BOSE flagship home theater in a box is $4000. I think you are much better served to go elsewhere. I think for the SQ, $500 is a reasonable price for their system. if you don't agree just go hear some B&W home theaters, not hi-fi and they don't claim to be nor do they priced as such. BUT still light years ahead of BOSE!

I, for one, highly doubt your credential as a musician, if you think Bose equipment sound good to your ear. The timber and tone on Bose is all wrong, I don't know what kind of musician you are but I cannot stand the incorrect timbre or tonality, which is really the fundamental of a musical note.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #49 of 85
i don't care if they sound good but are just overpriced. i can't respect a company for consumer deception, which is what their marketing is.

is TRUE high-end stuff overpriced? oh hell yes. i'm not doubting that... and i think it's pretty immoral to charge so much just because you CAN and people will still buy it. i can't see my overall headphone/speaker setup going over $15,000, the price of one set of MartinLogan Summits or Quad ESL 989s...
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #50 of 85

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incredible how so many people faied to detect the sarcasm in this sentence. Or maybe those people saw that he didn't have 500 posts and automatically thought he was an idiot.

Bingo!

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #52 of 85
can I request this thread be locked? Theres no need to outwardly bash something. If you want to get into the detailed pros / cons of a particular item there are threads in existence (ad-nausium) to discuss Bose products.

It's an alarming trend I see with newer members who feel the need to post impressions on something that they have no first hand experience with. This merely leads to speculation and rumor.

Mods... please kill this pointless thread.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #53 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can I request this thread be locked? Theres no need to outwardly bash something. If you want to get into the detailed pros / cons of a particular item there are threads in existence (ad-nausium) to discuss Bose products.

It's an alarming trend I see with newer members who feel the need to post impressions on something that they have no first hand experience with. This merely leads to speculation and rumor.

Mods... please kill this pointless thread.

Seconded!

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #55 of 85
Jahn I don´t know? Sennheisers is hold in high regard. I have never owned one but I think it´s not without merit
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise harman kardon, denon is the most famous brands for me so maybe them??

Of course Bang Olufsen if we talk tv but I guess they make HIFI stuff now as well but everybody knows you pay mainly for the design
wink.gif

But it´s odd there is just about never tv commercials on this stuff. Only Sony if anything but that´s 99 % about their monitors.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #56 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's an alarming trend I see with newer members who feel the need to post impressions on something that they have no first hand experience with.

I think the OP was being sarcastic...

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #57 of 85
Quote:

I, for one, highly doubt your credential as a musician, if you think Bose equipment sound good to your ear. The timber and tone on Bose is all wrong, I don't know what kind of musician you are but I cannot stand the incorrect timbre or tonality, which is really the fundamental of a musical note.

Actually, I think certain 901 series don't sound that bad. For strings it has a good timbre. It was revolutionary at the time for reflective soundstage: only thing was that it meant you had to spend a lot of time positioning them. For movies, I'd still take a 5.1 system.....surround system with subwoofer just brings on more excitement. About the weakest thing about the 901's tonality was lack of bass: there's no way they could produce that much bass because of the size of the drivers used.

But by and large, most of their products are expensive for what they are. When I was in middle school, I went with my dad to decide on bookshelf speakers for myself. We listened to DCMs and the 301s....both priced the same. It was clear that the DCMs sounded much better, so that's what I wound up with (and they're still in my surround system). So yes, we can say that Bose is overpriced. But I don't think their products are that bad.
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #58 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I think certain 901 series don't sound that bad. For strings it has a good timbre. It was revolutionary at the time for reflective soundstage: only thing was that it meant you had to spend a lot of time positioning them. For movies, I'd still take a 5.1 system.....surround system with subwoofer just brings on more excitement. About the weakest thing about the 901's tonality was lack of bass: there's no way they could produce that much bass because of the size of the drivers used.

But by and large, most of their products are expensive for what they are. When I was in middle school, I went with my dad to decide on bookshelf speakers for myself. We listened to DCMs and the 301s....both priced the same. It was clear that the DCMs sounded much better, so that's what I wound up with (and they're still in my surround system). So yes, we can say that Bose is overpriced. But I don't think their products are that bad.
icon10.gif

I had a pair of 901s and 301s back in 1984 when I was stationed in Germany. They were GREAT speakers back then! And, no, that's NOT sarcasm!
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #59 of 85
Quote:

If you have never heard any of those above mentioned product, I say you just need to be quiet about your comments. There is nothing wrong with spending that kind of money for the VERY BEST, but to dupe customers to spend thousands of dollars for bad or horrible product is just wrong.

BOSE flagship home theater in a box is $4000. I think you are much better served to go elsewhere. I think for the SQ, $500 is a reasonable price for their system. if you don't agree just go hear some B&W home theaters, not hi-fi and they don't claim to be nor do they priced as such. BUT still light years ahead of BOSE!

You're missing the point. And who said I haven't heard any of those products? I sure didn't.

Granted, I wouldn't pay $4k for the Bose theater system, but a lot of people will, NOT because of the sound but because of the all-in-one compact unit. People pay for "small". People pay for "easy". People pay for "plug-n-play". People pay for "looks good". All of which those Bose systems are. They are designed for people who don't know and don't care about hifi, want to be able to hook them up and get them running ASAP by themselves, and be able to operate them without much fuss.

That's what those systems do for the average consumer. Plus, these systems come with an am/fm receiver, Dolby Digital decoding, cd player, mp3 player and dvd player all in one unit and a 5.1 amp built into the bass unit (heaven forbid I call it a "subwoofer") for the little satellite cube speakers.

For the people who buy these "systems", that's all they care about and they are quite happy paying that kind of price for it. It's the same thing as you going out and buying 5 quarts of oil and a filter for you car for $20 bucks and changing your oil yourself vs taking your car to a garage and being charge $50 for an oil change.

Bose claims these systems prodive a "fullrange" sound, because to the average consumer, it IS a fullrange sound compared to those little mini-systems and boomboxes that they are used to.

Yes, I know for $4000, you can get a pretty damn decent system when getting a traditional A/V receiver, DVD player, loudspeakers, etc, etc... But that's a lot of bulk, space taking, wire messes that some people don't and won't be bothered with. Not to mention a lot of them won't be able to figure out how to connect everything. That is precisely why those people spend that kind of money on Bose and are completely happy with the results.

It's absolutely stupid for people to come onto forums and go on and on about Bose and their ways. It has no direct effect on you, so why worry about it? Just leave well enough alone. Don't go and make someone feel like an absolute fool because they "bought into" the Bose BS and make them feel like they pissed away their money. That's just stupid and rude. And it's even more stupid to create threads like this and have them go on forever.

Quote:

"I, for one, highly doubt your credential as a musician"

Good for you.

If you must know, I was brought up in a musical family. I've been playing piano and pipe organ ever since I was about 7 years old. I also played violin, viola, cello and string bass all throughout school. I played bass for 6 years and was 1st chair bass for 4 of those years straight in a 101 piece orchestra, including winds and percussions. I also won county and state twice each in a row.

I have also helped build, voice and tune a 19 rank pipe organ nearly from scratch in our own home.

And outside the whole musician thing, I was also a desinger and pro installer for a high end A/V retailer in a neighboring city for a while. I designed, installed and calibrated many high-end systems costing several hundreds of thousands of dollars for all sorts of clients.

So think what you want about me and my credentials. I really don't care.

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #60 of 85
see guys? threads like this bring out the worst in us.

and by "threads like this" i mean threads that mention Bose, of course. it's like saying freaking "Maud'dib" or something!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back