The Official Bose Bashing Thread
Feb 13, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #16 of 85
Can we get a 'No Bose Discussion' rule yet? I think everyone has had enough newbies trying to show how 'sophisticated' they are by bashing Bose.

Come to think of, I think we are also WAY overdue for a newbie forum.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #17 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we get a 'No Bose Discussion' rule yet? I think everyone has had enough newbies trying to show how 'sophisticated' they are by bashing Bose.

If we're at that, we should also have the "Sennheiser veil", "Grado harshness", "is an amp necessary", or "why need an expensive source" limited to a newbie forum as well.
plainface.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #19 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we're at that, we should also have the "Sennheiser veil", "Grado harshness", "is an amp necessary", or "why need an expensive source" limited to a newbie forum as well.
plainface.gif

well no need to be too inhospitable. never hurts to just say "do a search." we don't want to get too nasty with new folks and start a drinking game about how many times certain things show up on the boards after all!

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 85
How can you bash a product you've never tried? You really shouldn't judge anything before you've even given them chance.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and start a drinking game about how many times certain things show up on the boards after all!

Would be hard to do while at work
icon10.gif
Espeically if we're doing it for Bose, Grado, or Sennheiser bashing....I'd be drunk at work after an hour!!
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #22 of 85
I think he was ironic
wink.gif

Anyway I don´t understand why it´s so popular to bash Bose? I am from Europe and I had no idea what Bose was prior to going over here?

Is there so many hear that have bought Bose headphones, thought they where all that and then realized they where crap? Which from what I have heard they aren´t really.

It´s almost like the Creative driver bashing religion for me or by all means Starforce. Everyone knows it´s bad even people who have never had them or haven´t have issues with it either lol.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #23 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if this is a joke around here, or a sensative issue, but I can attest that it is a very good idea.

I visit a bunch of forums regularly, and several of them have newbie sections. These sections actually work very well for multiple reasons.

1. It is easier for a newbie to see where his/her first post should go. I'm sure that all the categories can be intimidating and confusing for some newbies. No one worries about posting in the wrong category.

2. It creates a buffer zone where threads can be repeated many, many times without experienced members having to wade through it to get to new topics.

3. When experienced users browse there, they understand that they are there to help new people out. So, people who tend to not like answering newbie-type questions can just not go there, if they choose.

4. Less pressure on the newbie to understand everything right away. It's a "safe area" where it is ok to be ignorant or uninformed, because that's generally the case with people who are new to something.

5. It helps with people who are new to forums and how online forums generally work. Someone sees "Beginner Chat" or "Start Here," or something similar, and they generally know where to look first.

Anyway, hopefully this isn't a sore topic around here. I just thought it was an excellent idea.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #24 of 85
I have owned a Bose Acoustimass speaker system and actually quite liked it. I have never owned thier headphones though. I would have to agree that their stuff seems overpriced, but on the flip side, if you do have Bose equipment you want to get rid of, it holds it's value pretty well.

As for a separate Newbie forum...I'd like to remind everyone in this forum that you ALL were Newbies at one time or another! Isn't a forum a centralized medium for sharing views, ideas and opinions of ANYONE and EVERYONE?
confused.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #25 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for a separate Newbie forum...I'd like to remind everyone in this forum that you ALL were Newbies at one time or another! Isn't a forum a centralized medium for sharing views, ideas and opinions of ANYONE and EVERYONE?
confused.gif

I think you mistake the point.

It shouldn't be a place where newbies are resticted to post. It is a place to make them feel more welcome. Also, anyone can post questions there. Say someone who has been here a couple years has a question that they think is not advanced enough to put in the other forums. They can post it in the newbie forum. It isn't to segregate newbies off from everyone else. They should be free to post in other forums as well.

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #26 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrwilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you mistake the point.

It shouldn't be a place where newbies are resticted to post. It is a place to make them feel more welcome. Also, anyone can post questions there. Say someone who has been here a couple years has a question that they think is not advanced enough to put in the other forums. They can post it in the newbie forum. It isn't to segregate newbies off from everyone else. They should be free to post in other forums as well.

Who decides whether a post is "advanced" or not...the Moderators? That seems like a lot of extra work for them. And for what? The titles of the threads are clear (for the most part). If someone doesn't want to read a thread or post, they don't have to. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here, but aren't we over-complicating this?

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #27 of 85
Bose that bad, but over priced. Bose's advertisements saying the (best headphone) and their not and over advertising make many people mad.

bose's headphones are not bad, but you can better for price.

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #29 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aren't we over-complicating this?

No, I don't think we are. As I said, I visit several forums where the system works very well.

As for your first question, the poster decides whether the post should go in the newbie forum or not. At this point, it doesn't matter so much where these threads are. If the person doesn't feel comfortable posting in the regular forums yet, they just post in the newbie forum. It's not a situation where someone should be deciding to move a post back to the newbie forum if it's very basic. I think 'advanced' probably wasn't the correct word for what I meant.

As I'm used to it, there aren't any 'rules' about where to post what. The newbie forum is just a safe place for new people to feel ok about being new. repeating topics there can be ok, and there can be stickies with links to threads answering most of the most commonly repeated questions.

Like everything else, it's a matter of opinion. All I'm saying is that is does work in other places, and that I think it's a good idea here as well.

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #30 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrwilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I don't think we are. As I said, I visit several forums where the system works very well.

As for your first question, the poster decides whether the post should go in the newbie forum or not. At this point, it doesn't matter so much where these threads are. If the person doesn't feel comfortable posting in the regular forums yet, they just post in the newbie forum. It's not a situation where someone should be deciding to move a post back to the newbie forum if it's very basic. I think 'advanced' probably wasn't the correct word for what I meant.

As I'm used to it, there aren't any 'rules' about where to post what. The newbie forum is just a safe place for new people to feel ok about being new. repeating topics there can be ok, and there can be stickies with links to threads answering most of the most commonly repeated questions.

Like everything else, it's a matter of opinion. All I'm saying is that is does work in other places, and that I think it's a good idea here as well.

I think I see what you're saying. If it's purely voluntary and simply a matter of choice, I'm all for it. I think we have enough entities telling us what to do on a daily basis...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back