The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 2, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #22,682 of 23,556
Yes they do, which is why a touch of EQ works so well with these in bass. On some Electronic focused tracks with the BTR7, not all my music, I prefer a touch more subbass. I'm talking like a 1.2db boost in the lower few frequencies on the BTR7 EQ. With my indie rock and 90's rap, I don't want any more bass at all from this source.
Please let us know how your Volur sounds with your Go Pods.

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #22,684 of 23,556
Please let us know how your Volur sounds with your Go Pods.

Will do. Just got home and am listening with my Questyle M12, no bass boost. I'll try the go pods too, those are warm not going to want any bass boost with those I'm quite sure.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #22,686 of 23,556
I don’t mean harsh or piercing. I mean sharp, pronounced and zingy. 64 Audio’s upper treble has an almost extra dynamic nature feel to it that I would totally agree sounds realistic as if you’re listening to a live drummer.

This upper treble exaggeration is a general trend in high end audio and several of my most expensive headphones and studio monitors have this characteristic. With more organic genres it’s important to capture this upper treble because it sounds realistic, it’s as if you can feel the drummer striking their stick on the drum but I don’t want this level of realism when listening to drum and bass or house music for example because it’s too dominant. I don’t need to hear cymbals or snares as if I’m stood right next to the drummer. I think it’s unnecessary. It seems you can’t have it both ways… It’s just how I hear it and appreciate people have different preferences.
I agree 100%. For a drummer the trebles can sound realistic but as someone who is positioned in an audience, first thing you should hear are the vocals, then guitars, then hi hats. Every time i go to a concert, i pay attention how loud particular instruments are and the cymbals and hi hats are always in the background, sounding buttery smooth.
I personaly think that we as customers should be more critical towards companies that make iems with harsh and unnatural treble. We just shouldnt buy their new products and demand a better tuning, especially in a treble area.
Buying any new iem that costs 1k+ bucks and saying "well the treble are boosted but its ok" is doing a disservice to yourself and the community.
To my ears the whole Tia concept isnt working because it unnaturaly boosts upper trebles. Im using tips with a longer stem to actually dump these unnatural peaks on the u12t.
Bass and mids are fine, good, great sometimes but the trebles require some work and polish to make the whole sound like it should be, like we hear it in real life.
To my ears 64 Audio iems have incorrect treble energy and timbre and they are inferior to the Monarch Mk2 trebles for example.
Fortunately it isnt as bad on the u12t but is far from being good, especially considering the price. The u12t have better trebles than any iem below 500 bucks ive heard but that isnt enough.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #22,687 of 23,556
The 45 minute iFi go pod dog walk test was phenomenal. Smiling at parts of songs and toe tapping while walking. It's that more fun sound signature I prefer and have but just quite upgraded. Bass is noticeably better and more precise, vocals are excellent, mid range is detailed, highs are to my liking. I'm getting the clarity and separation I've been missing and looking for, while still having hat excellent bass. The biggest thing is the great mids to go along with that masterful bass. I find the treble lovely. Absolutely no EQ needed with this source or the Questyle m12.

So far these have been the all rounder I have wanted, just haven't listened to any classic rock or classical yet.

I can't say these are worth 1400 more than the U4s because that's a ton of money to be. But they are a serious upgrade. I'm in audio bliss. All I want are the Caldera for my desktop setup now lol

Oct 2, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #22,688 of 23,556
The 45 minute iFi go pod dog walk test was phenomenal. Smiling at parts of songs and toe tapping while walking. It's that more fun sound signature I prefer and have but just quite upgraded. Bass is noticeably better and more precise, vocals are excellent, mid range is detailed, highs are to my liking. I'm getting the clarity and separation I've been missing and looking for, while still having hat excellent bass. The biggest thing is the great mids to go along with that masterful bass. I find the treble lovely. Absolutely no EQ needed with this source or the Questyle m12.

So far these have been the all rounder I have wanted, just haven't listened to any classic rock or classical yet.

I can't say these are worth 1400 more than the U4s because that's a ton of money to be. But they are a serious upgrade. I'm in audio bliss. All I want are the Caldera for my desktop setup now lol
Appreciate the insights! And as a fellow U4s and Go Pod owner you’ve just given me a series case of buyer’s remorse for my U4s, and FOMO on the Volur.

Oct 2, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #22,689 of 23,556
Appreciate the insights! And as a fellow U4s and Go Pod owner you’ve just given me a series case of buyer’s remorse for my U4s, and FOMO on the Volur.
I own the U4s since launch and Volur since this morning, and previously owned the U6t, Nio, and U12t. I've mostly listened to Volur today, but have gone back and forth a bit with the U4s, both with the m15 modules on the the A&K SE300. While I'll reserve detailed thoughts on Volur until have had more time with it, I wouldn't have remorse for the U4s.

There's a massive difference in price between the two so it's understandable they might not be at the same level. IMO, the U4s does very well for its price against other 64 Audio IEMs though, and might even be preferable to certain people at times. The bass on the Volur tracks similarly to the U4s, but it hits with serious force that could be a bit overbearing depending on the music. Also, while Volur is technically superior across the board, the overall timbre of the U4s might edge it out to my ears. I need more time to say for sure though.

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #22,690 of 23,556
I own the U4s since launch and Volur since this morning, and previously owned the U6t, Nio, and U12t. I've mostly listened to Volur today, but have gone back and forth a bit with the U4s, both with the m15 modules on the the A&K SE300. While I'll reserve detailed thoughts on Volur until have had more time with it, I wouldn't have remorse for the U4s.

There's a massive difference in price between the two so it's understandable they might not be at the same level. IMO, the U4s does very well for its price against other 64 Audio IEMs though, and might even be preferable to certain people at times. The bass on the Volur tracks similarly to the U4s, but it hits with serious force that could be a bit overbearing depending on the music. Also, while Volur is technically superior across the board, the overall timbre of the U4s might edge it out to my ears. I need more time to say for sure though.

I basically used the u4s for a couple months straight almost every day, primarily with the Go Pods. I loved them. I had many times when I listened to them with a crap eating grin on my face. Last time I heard them was a week ago and when I get them back I'll A/B with the Volur. But there were a few things I didn't always love.

with the m15 module, it was just not clear enough when playing the indie rock playlists i have, like Young the Giant, Borns, Saint Motel, etc..with too many tracks the mids were missing detail and the bass could sometimes be slightly much and bleed over into the mids. This was most noticeable with guitar and male vocals going on along with drums. With the m15module on the Volur so far, the bass while still as impactful, is a bit more well rounded and controlled, plus the mids are more detailed and vocals noticeably better. I liked keeping the m15 module in because 60% of my music is beat driven indie stuff. For long listening sessions at home sure changing the module was fine but I really want a just grab and go on the go all rounders that excel at almost everything. I don't want to be changing modules on mass transit and on long walks. And on long dog walks, when I switched to indie rock playlists, there were enough tracks where they fell short with the m15 module to me that i decided to look for an upgrade, kind of skeptical. I knew I wanted DD bass, not BA bass, no matter what, so that eliminated quite a few IEM.

with my beat driven indie stuff, my current primary playlist material, the U4s were excellent, but then I'd throw on some indie rock and classic rock and I felt like I was missing something and wanting more clarity. I have not had that issue at all with the Volur with the m15 module and I went through a lot of those tracks specificallyi. Here and there the bass on the U4s felt a tad bit much, but it was not often. I can see the Volur having a bit much bass for some but so far it's quite controlled. I will have to A/B the U4s with the m12 module.

Maybe I'm just having that new product omg first day a bit, but I developed those thoughts over some time with the U4s, even though I knew they were amazing. But seeking that better balance I saw the Volur and financed them over 12 months and so far it has paid off. Obviously I'll know more in a couple weeks after many more hours with these. But if you like the fun sound signature of the U4s so far to me the Volur just take it to another level. No, not twice as good by any means like the price reflects, but there is enough of improvement to label it noticeable enough to make it a decent upgrade.

I will have to sell IEM's to recoup some of the funds and that makes me sad though.

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #22,691 of 23,556
I have U4s and U12t. If I got the Volur, do you think it would be an upgrade to both of these? I’d assume “yes” for U4s but is there anything with the U12t that excels vs Volur (I think I read soundstage on a review?).

Oct 3, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #22,692 of 23,556
I agree 100%. For a drummer the trebles can sound realistic but as someone who is positioned in an audience, first thing you should hear are the vocals, then guitars, then hi hats. Every time i go to a concert, i pay attention how loud particular instruments are and the cymbals and hi hats are always in the background, sounding buttery smooth.
I personaly think that we as customers should be more critical towards companies that make iems with harsh and unnatural treble. We just shouldnt buy their new products and demand a better tuning, especially in a treble area.
Buying any new iem that costs 1k+ bucks and saying "well the treble are boosted but its ok" is doing a disservice to yourself and the community.
To my ears the whole Tia concept isnt working because it unnaturaly boosts upper trebles. Im using tips with a longer stem to actually dump these unnatural peaks on the u12t.
Bass and mids are fine, good, great sometimes but the trebles require some work and polish to make the whole sound like it should be, like we hear it in real life.
To my ears 64 Audio iems have incorrect treble energy and timbre and they are inferior to the Monarch Mk2 trebles for example.
Fortunately it isnt as bad on the u12t but is far from being good, especially considering the price. The u12t have better trebles than any iem below 500 bucks ive heard but that isnt enough.
As a drummer and engineer, I too hate the increase upper-treble = more detail for free mentality that’s permeated the industry. I’d hate nothing more than to listen to $2K+ IEMs and find all my hi-hats and cymbals have the same ticks and tizzes to them. ‘Could’ve saved an hour in the studio finding just the right set for the track. Thankfully, that tuning’s died down since drivers were able to extend upwards without an Uluru-like, 3dB shelf at 12kHz. It’s why I’ve always gravitated towards warmer (or less aggressive) sigs. Brighter ones make me feel like all the hours I put into the mix and master don’t matter. :D

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #22,693 of 23,556
As a drummer and engineer, I too hate the increase upper-treble = more detail for free mentality that’s permeated the industry. I’d hate nothing more than to listen to $2K+ IEMs and find all my hi-hats and cymbals have the same ticks and tizzes to them. ‘Could’ve saved an hour in the studio finding just the right set for the track. Thankfully, that tuning’s died down since drivers were able to extend upwards without an Uluru-like, 3dB shelf at 12kHz. It’s why I’ve always gravitated towards warmer (or less aggressive) sigs. Brighter ones make me feel like all the hours I put into the mix and master don’t matter. :D
Don't you know that most people (most is 99,9%) listen to the music through a 5$ speaker, an Amazon Echo, a smartphone, from the speaker of a PC, and so on? :ksc75smile:

Yes, I was only joking, I know what you mean: I am a photographer, I shoot with two 4k 45MPx camera and several 1-1,5k lenses, then I work on my calibrated display and manage colors in the widest gamut I can. Then people look at my pictures on their smarrtphone.

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #22,694 of 23,556
Don't you know that most people (most is 99,9%) listen to the music through a 5$ speaker, an Amazon Echo, a smartphone, from the speaker of a PC, and so on? :ksc75smile:

Yes, I was only joking, I know what you mean: I am a photographer, I shoot with two 4k 45MPx camera and several 1-1,5k lenses, then I work on my calibrated display and manage colors in the widest gamut I can. Then people look at my pictures on their smarrtphone.
I’m well aware. I always check my masters on wireless speakers, car speakers, laptop speakers, etc. before I finalize. I’m just talking about my own personal listening. I feel the same way when I listen to drummers I love, and all their splashes and stacks end up sounding the same ‘cus of these IEMs. I know the effort they put in their setups and records too.

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #22,695 of 23,556
I’m well aware. I always check my masters on wireless speakers, car speakers, laptop speakers, etc. before I finalize. I’m just talking about my own personal listening. I feel the same way when I listen to drummers I love, and all their splashes and stacks end up sounding the same ‘cus of these IEMs. I know the effort they put in their setups and records too.
Hey Daniel,

I've been meaning to ask this. Where did you get your audio engineering (apologies if this isn't the exact terminology/major) education? I'm interested in learning more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back