The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 2, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #22,666 of 23,616
Can you compare the treble of the Volur with the u12t? Is it as sharp or as pronounced. I’m fairly sensitive to treble and personally find the treble on the u12t somewhat emphasised. Sometimes cymbals and hi hats can come across a bit clicky.

Frequency graph for Volur show it has a higher peak for the Tia driver than the u12t and u18t - the latter being fairly bright.
Treble on the U12t is more extended then Volür. I have no problems even with U12t treble. Volür is more smooth on top. I don't know but maybe it because of the tia waveguide what they use the first time in Volür.

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #22,667 of 23,616
Treble on the U12t is more extended then Volür. I have no problems even with U12t treble. Volür is more smooth on top. I don't know but maybe it because of the tia waveguide what they use the first time in Volür.
Interesting… I could name several written reviews on the web that all say the upper treble is a bit hot on the Volur.

I personally think different people perceive the upper treble peak on 64 audio iems differently depending on your age and level of hearing loss - which we all have to varying degrees past a certain age. I personally perceive a lot of their iems in the upper treble as ‘zingy’ and a bit unnatural. I’m sure others hear it as smooth though.

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #22,669 of 23,616
Oct 2, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #22,670 of 23,616
I just keep checking my out for delivery FedEx tracking. Hoping to get them before my dogs next walk for a nice 30 minute first listen lol

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #22,671 of 23,616
Hoping for some more Volür vs. Trío comparisons if anyone is able.

The only one I’m aware of so far is Precog’s which is, in a nutshell:

Similar technicalities
Similar treble
Volür is more dynamic
Volür has warmer vocals
Trío has better imaging/soundstage

Attachments

• IMG_7475.png
    IMG_7475.png
    645.8 KB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #22,672 of 23,616
Hoping for some more Volür vs. Trío comparisons if anyone is able.

The only one I’m aware of so far is Precog’s which is, in a nutshell:

Similar technicalities
Similar treble
Volür is more dynamic
Volür has warmer vocals
Trío has better imaging/soundstage
Yes Trio, U12t and Blanc have better Instrument separation and a far greater soundstage then Volür. But the Raven beat them all in this aspect easily! Following by the Radon6.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #22,675 of 23,616
Sometimes Cymbals and HiHats ARE "clicky" - in case you mean harsh, piercing and loud.
For me, as a drummer, U12t in this department is very realistic.
I don’t mean harsh or piercing. I mean sharp, pronounced and zingy. 64 Audio’s upper treble has an almost extra dynamic nature feel to it that I would totally agree sounds realistic as if you’re listening to a live drummer.

This upper treble exaggeration is a general trend in high end audio and several of my most expensive headphones and studio monitors have this characteristic. With more organic genres it’s important to capture this upper treble because it sounds realistic, it’s as if you can feel the drummer striking their stick on the drum but I don’t want this level of realism when listening to drum and bass or house music for example because it’s too dominant. I don’t need to hear cymbals or snares as if I’m stood right next to the drummer. I think it’s unnecessary. It seems you can’t have it both ways… It’s just how I hear it and appreciate people have different preferences.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #22,677 of 23,616
Got the Volur in before the dog walk. So I've spent about an hour with the Volur. Initial impressions are very positive. Keep in mind I have not broached this territory of IEM yet. I have had 3 kilobuck IEM - Rai Penta, MEXT, U4s. All listening done with my BTR7 and the newest Symbio W clear tips and the M15 module, which I forgot to add.

The Volur definitely do what I wanted them to do compared to the U4s and MEXT. The bass is really really on point. It is powerful with slam and good decay but also very controlled. It's sick bass, but 'sophisticated' - it's not tame, it's just very well controlled while being allowed to be very present. I could not ask for better without hearing something else that's TOTL in bass. Responds well to slight EQ'ing, basically just adding a bit of boost in the lower frequencies to bring out some more sub-bass on more electronic focused tracks. I put on some of my favorite genres, beat driven indie music, indie rock like Young the Giant and Borns, a bit of Tribe Called Quest, some Khruangbin and that style music too.

The separation and imaging is definitely a big solid step up. I don't think I would want much more separation than these have, it would feel too clinical. These give me the extra detail/separation/layering I was looking for while keeping the sound fun enough. I found imaging to be quite good, but have nothing of this caliber to compare it too.

No issues with the treble being harsh. I am 48 years old for reference. I enjoyed high hats and cymbals and higher frequency electronic sounds without feeling fatigued or them being harsh at all. I enjoyed the detail in the highs. The vocals, mostly male vocals so far, definitely are a big step above the U4s and a step above the MEXT. I listened to a lot of the same songs, in regards to my indie rock, where I wanted more detail/separation and better vocals in the midrange from those former IEM's.

Have to enjoy these for awhile, deal with brain burn in. But as per the interview with the 64Audio dude in tour of the facility headphones.com got, these did strike me very positively in the first 10 minutes. Now I'm starting to listen more intently.

Most likely will sell my MEXT and U4s to recoup funds and honestly I just wouldn't grab them anymore as long as the Volur are around, even though they are both very good. The difference in quality is definitely 10% better and more in some categories, like the mids and separation for example. The IE600 I may keep. They kinda have their own thing going on. Unless I need the cash.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #22,678 of 23,616
Got the Volur in before the dog walk. So I've spent about an hour with the Volur. Initial impressions are very positive. Keep in mind I have not broached this territory of IEM yet. I have had 3 kilobuck IEM - Rai Penta, MEXT, U4s. All listening done with my BTR7 and the newest Symbio W clear tips.

The Volur definitely do what I wanted them to do compared to the U4s and MEXT. The bass is really really on point. It is powerful with slam and good decay but also very controlled. I could not ask for better without hearing something else that's TOTL in bass. Responds well to slight EQ'ing, basically just adding a bit of boost in the lower frequencies to bring out some more sub-bass on more electronic focused tracks. I put on some of my favorite genres, beat driven indie music, indie rock like Young the Giant and Borns, a bit of Tribe Called Quest, some Khruangbin and that style music too.

The separation and imaging is definitely a big solid step up. I don't think I would want much more separation than these have, it would feel too clinical. These give me the extra detail/separation/layering I was looking for while keeping the sound fun enough. I found imaging to be quite good, but have nothing of this caliber to compare it too.

No issues with the treble being harsh. I am 48 years old for reference. I enjoyed high hats and cymbals and higher frequency electronic sounds without feeling fatigued or them being harsh at all. I enjoyed the detail in the highs. The vocals, mostly male vocals so far, definitely are a big step above the U4s and a step above the MEXT. I listened to a lot of the same songs, in regards to my indie rock, where I wanted more detail/separation and better vocals in the midrange from those former IEM's.

Have to enjoy these for awhile, deal with brain burn in. But as per the interview with the 64Audio dude in tour of the facility headphones.com got, these did strike me very positively in the first 10 minutes. Now I'm starting to listen more intently.

Most likely will sell my MEXT and U4s to recoup funds and honestly I just wouldn't grab them anymore as long as the Volur are around, even though they are both very good. The difference in quality is definitely 10% better and more in some categories, like the mids and separation for example. The IE600 I may keep. They kinda have their own thing going on. Unless I need the cash.
More subbass? You are kidding :smile:
These have unlimited extension down low and slams like Thor hammer with M15.

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #22,680 of 23,616
More subbass? You are kidding :smile:
These have unlimited extension down low and slams like Thor hammer with M15.
Yes they do, which is why a touch of EQ works so well with these in bass. On some Electronic focused tracks with the BTR7, not all my music, I prefer a touch more subbass. I'm talking like a 1.2db boost in the lower few frequencies on the BTR7 EQ. With my indie rock and 90's rap, I don't want any more bass at all from this source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back