The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 17, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #22,006 of 23,560
20230516_214613.jpg

I never thought I would be able to afford a TOTL IEM. I know it is hard to draw a line where the TOTL gear starts, but to me, there was no way I would ever think of owning something like the U12T, even in the 2nd hand market. But finally managed to afford one with a trade.
I did not set my expectations high because I have learned of the diminishing returns with the gear I already own.
However, I kid you not when I say that from the first song, and every song after while shuffling through the tiny 5K, I kept getting goosebumps! I guess I went in thinking I would be let down and the sound would be similar to what I already own. Boy was I wrong. The soundstage is wide, the sounds are clearly separated, I can't even describe everything because I'm not a reviewer lol.
Usually anything new I get I test versus the Tea 2 as my benchmark that separates the top level keepers, the budget beater keepers, or the resellers. This one was an immediate keeper. The only comparisons I might try one day are against the Mest, or the Starlight to see who has the best detail retrieval.
This hobby can be as expensive as you want it, but when you're in it simply for fun, the smiles and surprises are so much more meaningful. :ksc75smile:

May 17, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #22,007 of 23,560
Hopefully this is not a dumb question...
The way the 2 pin connection is flat on the top of the IEM scares me a bit. I feel like a wrong accidental pull on the cable could bend the pins.
Is there maybe a cable designed for this IEM that shields the entire connection kind of like QDC? Or just stick to flat 2-pin cables for maximum flat surface connection?

May 18, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #22,008 of 23,560
The way the 2 pin connection is flat on the top of the IEM scares me a bit. I feel like a wrong accidental pull on the cable could bend the pins.
Is there maybe a cable designed for this IEM that shields the entire connection kind of like QDC? Or just stick to flat 2-pin cables for maximum flat surface connection?
There are cable manufacturer like effect audio that have products where you can swap out the connector if you damage it

May 18, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #22,009 of 23,560
I am with you in this mate.
My connectors are fine, but in order to prevent the issue I started looking for a cable like you said with a larger surface, so potential torsion is distributed to a bit more iem surface.

May 18, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #22,010 of 23,560
I am with you in this mate.
My connectors are fine, but in order to prevent the issue I started looking for a cable like you said with a larger surface, so potential torsion is distributed to a bit more iem surface.
I think the best way is that using flat 2-pin connector...

May 18, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #22,011 of 23,560
20230516_214613.jpg
I never thought I would be able to afford a TOTL IEM. I know it is hard to draw a line where the TOTL gear starts, but to me, there was no way I would ever think of owning something like the U12T, even in the 2nd hand market. But finally managed to afford one with a trade.
I did not set my expectations high because I have learned of the diminishing returns with the gear I already own.
However, I kid you not when I say that from the first song, and every song after while shuffling through the tiny 5K, I kept getting goosebumps! I guess I went in thinking I would be let down and the sound would be similar to what I already own. Boy was I wrong. The soundstage is wide, the sounds are clearly separated, I can't even describe everything because I'm not a reviewer lol.
Usually anything new I get I test versus the Tea 2 as my benchmark that separates the top level keepers, the budget beater keepers, or the resellers. This one was an immediate keeper. The only comparisons I might try one day are against the Mest, or the Starlight to see who has the best detail retrieval.
This hobby can be as expensive as you want it, but when you're in it simply for fun, the smiles and surprises are so much more meaningful. :ksc75smile:
The U12t is a classic. It gets a lot of praise on here. It’s one of those IEMs that covers all the bases and I think it can be a great all rounder.

May 18, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #22,012 of 23,560

Congrats on the trade! Would you say the Qudelix 5K is a good pairing for the U12T? How did you find the bass quantity with the various Apex modules? I see you're on the MX module now.

May 18, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #22,013 of 23,560
Congrats on the trade! Would you say the Qudelix 5K is a good pairing for the U12T? How did you find the bass quantity with the various Apex modules? I see you're on the MX module now.
Due to work, i havent had much free time to be able to switch out the modules. Im hoping to be able to do that this weekend and try to hear the differences. But the 5K is amazing. It gave me so much euphoria that first night i tested the set. I havent been able to replicate the sound on the RS6 or the Amp13. So i have to keep testing the sources. But the 5K is a major winner when it comes to enjoyment.

May 18, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #22,014 of 23,560
The U12t is a classic. It gets a lot of praise on here. It’s one of those IEMs that covers all the bases and I think it is the best all rounder.
Fixed it for you! 😄

I had little hesitation going custom a year ago for this reason, and I couldn’t be happier with my A12t. No matter how my music preferences may morph or evolve in the future, I will always have an IEM that will reproduce whatever I’m playing with glorious detail in a near perfectly spherical headspace that I feel connects me very closely to the music and performance itself.

For example…
I don't listen to a lot of classical (yes I am a heathen, I know), but I must listen to enough baroque stuff for Tidal's algorithm to put this in my "Suggested New Albums" List

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 3.33.45 pm.png

Absolutely sublime recording on 300 year old instruments, the organ having been inaugurated by none other than JS Bach himself.
The A12t just melts in my ears, and if I close my eyes, I could almost be in that church near Leipzig hearing this live.

May 18, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #22,015 of 23,560
Fixed it for you! 😄

I had little hesitation going custom a year ago for this reason, and I couldn’t be happier with my A12t. No matter how my music preferences may morph or evolve in the future, I will always have an IEM that will reproduce whatever I’m playing with glorious detail in a near perfectly spherical headspace that I feel connects me very closely to the music and performance itself.

For example…

The A12t just melts in my ears, and if I close my eyes, I could almost be in that church near Leipzig hearing this live.
I need to stop reading stuff like this...
Waiting for my A12t is just melting my brain, haha.

May 19, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #22,016 of 23,560
20230516_214613.jpg
Congrats :thumbsup: Still love my U12t, just a superb all rounder.

May 19, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #22,017 of 23,560
I havent been able to replicate the sound on the RS6 or the Amp13
I heard a lot about the RS6 and AMP13 too. Am wondering if I should just get the 5K for my 64 Audio when I am at work or one of the 2 DAPs but using them as DAC/AMP. Seems overkill to me but I am curious about the sounds.

May 20, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #22,018 of 23,560
To your concern about remolding, you have to look at the custom IEM as a singular product, rather than separating the outer shell from the inner components as two separate parts. When we offer "fit related remakes" to customers we absorb most of the extra cost since we use almost all new internal components with the new printed shell. There's never a way to remove the components from the shell and put them into a different shell without losing some of those components. We offer remold/remake as a courtesy to the original owner in case of accidental damage or fit related issues; building a brand new custom IEM for a second/third owner at the remold/remake price is not scalable unfortunately.
If that is so shouldn't you provide a service to convert universals into customs?
From what i saw of the opened universals there shouldn't be much loss of components if any ?
What is the reason for not providing that to your users?

May 20, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #22,019 of 23,560
I heard a lot about the RS6 and AMP13 too. Am wondering if I should just get the 5K for my 64 Audio when I am at work or one of the 2 DAPs but using them as DAC/AMP. Seems overkill to me but I am curious about the sounds.
For work I totally recommend the 5K or the Hiby R3 Pro 2022. They have lots of driving power through balanced and wonderful sound quality.

May 22, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #22,020 of 23,560
I am so happy that I pulled the trigger on the U12Ts. It is going to complement my Nios. I can definitely understand why some would prefer U4s now. But man, this is how TOTL iems sound like? I am believer now. I still want to explore headphones but these 2 pair will keep me happy for some time now.

R0000374.jpg

R0000370.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back