The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 15, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #21,991 of 23,608
So folks,
I have a mega question for ya'll.
I am debating going CIEM.
Many of us report that the custom version could sound quite different from the universal. I've read the post on the topic on the 64 audio website and I have the following question.
64 audio states that the main frequency affected by going custom is the high freq. This is due to the deep insertion of the custom mold.
The U6T has a reportedly hotter treble, when compared to the U12T. I am assuming therefore that the A6T would have a tamer treble response.
So the question is: anybody could compare or comment on the sound differences between the A6t and the U12t? 6 drivers custom vs 12 driver universal?

Not an easy answer, but any opinion or comment would be greatly appreciated.

May 15, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #21,992 of 23,608
I've had my custom tips made by Custom Art that @anaveragebear mentioned and I'm very pleased with them. Even though they look quite funky, they provide massive improvement to the sound quality and comfort.

aa009967f69e0fa1dad649ead9c5135a721c515a.jpeg

Craft Ears Aurum + Custom Art black metallic custom silicone tips

c6b10092b6b1ae63386f1b7212c1fe491fe81057.jpeg

May 15, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #21,993 of 23,608
So folks,
I have a mega question for ya'll.
I am debating going CIEM.
Many of us report that the custom version could sound quite different from the universal. I've read the post on the topic on the 64 audio website and I have the following question.
64 audio states that the main frequency affected by going custom is the high freq. This is due to the deep insertion of the custom mold.
The U6T has a reportedly hotter treble, when compared to the U12T. I am assuming therefore that the A6T would have a tamer treble response.
So the question is: anybody could compare or comment on the sound differences between the A6t and the U12t? 6 drivers custom vs 12 driver universal?

Not an easy answer, but any opinion or comment would be greatly appreciated.
Well, I can comment on the reverse, that is U6t and A12t. Firstly, their tuning is much more similar than it is different. The only difference I find is the 6t is a bit warmer in the lower mids, which gives it a slightly more intimate presentation. Treble of them both is quite similar in quantity, and whether it is the deeper insertion of the 12t, or it’s superior technicalities, either way it is the even more ‘polite’ of the two. I don’t think it’s that the U6t treble is necessarily ‘hotter’, it just isn’t refined to the same degree.

The main differences I think are technical, the 12t having rather significantly better detail resolution, 3D staging and imaging. For me, the A12t is more of a “pay attention to the music” sort of listen, whereas with U6t great music happens in the background.

If you are trying to decide between A6t and A12t, I think the latter is a total no-brainer, as long as it fits your budget.

May 15, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #21,995 of 23,608
Quick question of the day.
Since the u18t and the fourte don't include the lid technology how do they compensate for that?
Does that mean that their drivers have a linear impedance?
Not really, in practice it'll depend on your source to provide a reasonably low output impedance. Else, you might notice a dip in the lower frequencies as seen here with a generic sound card compared to a decent portable source:

effect-of-output-impedance.jpg

May 15, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #21,997 of 23,608
Well, I can comment on the reverse, that is U6t and A12t. Firstly, their tuning is much more similar than it is different. The only difference I find is the 6t is a bit warmer in the lower mids, which gives it a slightly more intimate presentation. Treble of them both is quite similar in quantity, and whether it is the deeper insertion of the 12t, or it’s superior technicalities, either way it is the even more ‘polite’ of the two. I don’t think it’s that the U6t treble is necessarily ‘hotter’, it just isn’t refined to the same degree.

The main differences I think are technical, the 12t having rather significantly better detail resolution, 3D staging and imaging. For me, the A12t is more of a “pay attention to the music” sort of listen, whereas with U6t great music happens in the background.

If you are trying to decide between A6t and A12t, I think the latter is a total no-brainer, as long as it fits your budget.
Thanks for your input mate. Much appreciated.
I am indeed trying to decide between the 2. I have U12t but due to the shape of my ear canals I struggle to get consistent seal. I love the sound, but when the seal is not optimal (often) they sound thin if you know what I mean.

May 15, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #21,998 of 23,608
May 15, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #21,999 of 23,608
I've had my custom tips made by Custom Art that @anaveragebear mentioned and I'm very pleased with them. Even though they look quite funky, they provide massive improvement to the sound quality and comfort.

aa009967f69e0fa1dad649ead9c5135a721c515a.jpeg

Craft Ears Aurum + Custom Art black metallic custom silicone tips

c6b10092b6b1ae63386f1b7212c1fe491fe81057.jpeg
Jeez man, those are gorgeous!

May 15, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #22,000 of 23,608
Looks like the 64 Audio U12T is back in stock for their B-stock sale. I have heard so much about it. I remember testing it years ago (or was it the U12). Should I yolo on it? I have the 64 Audio Nio and I love the bass although it is not suitable for some tracks (too much bass :sweat_smile:). I am thinking the U12T could be my more 'reference but still fun' IEM.

May 15, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #22,001 of 23,608
Looks like the 64 Audio U12T is back in stock for their B-stock sale. I have heard so much about it. I remember testing it years ago (or was it the U12). Should I yolo on it? I have the 64 Audio Nio and I love the bass although it is not suitable for some tracks (too much bass :sweat_smile:). I am thinking the U12T could be my more 'reference but still fun' IEM.
Maybe the Trio will be more suitable for you, it is really fun and energetic, and the bass is wayyyyyy better than Nio.

May 15, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #22,002 of 23,608
Maybe the Trio will be more suitable for you, it is really fun and energetic, and the bass is wayyyyyy better than Nio.
Thanks for the recommendation. However isn't the Trio featuring a bright tuning? I am quite sensitive to the highs. For example I found IE 600 a little hot on the treble.

May 15, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #22,003 of 23,608
Thanks for the recommendation. However isn't the Trio featuring a bright tuning? I am quite sensitive to the highs. For example I found IE 600 a little hot on the treble.
Hmm, the high on the Trio is a little hotter than 12t, but it does not bother me, maybe you should try to audition.

May 16, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #22,005 of 23,608
The trio has a lot of air frequencies. Its boost occurs above 12kHz for the most part. I don't have an issue with sibilance or harshness on the trios, but I do sometimes find that music with very prominent high frequencies (EDM and modern pop mostly) is a little "fizzy." I would say that the tuning is intense (not shouty/harsh) and diffuse because both extremes of the frequency spectrum are elevated and the pinna gain is subdued slightly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back