The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 9, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #21,976 of 23,668
I want to buy a cable for the u12t, I thought about buying the Plussound Tri-Silver, has anyone tried the u12t with a full silver cable? Or would anyone have a cable suggestion to give.
Effect Audio Cleo II Octa. Best full Silver cable I’ve heard and match greatly with A12t. :)

May 9, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #21,977 of 23,668
I used a DHC Clone Silver with my U12t with good result. Sold the U12ts because I kept breaking pins off.

May 9, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #21,978 of 23,668
Didn't want to chime in until now since I'm not familiar with U4S and only heard IE600 for the first time at CanJam NYC '23. To support what you are saying, you can see how these two IEMs compare in FR below. In terms of bass quantity, you can get closer using M20 apex (more isolation, more bass). But treble is noticeably elevated in IE600, could be too much energy for some. Also, the seal issue w/IE600 is due to a tiny shell and a stiffer cable, a bad combination :wink:

Btw, U4-SE (limited special-edition) brings back some good memories when I reviewed it in 2017, still have it :)
I have to caveat that the U4s that I heard was a demo unit for A4s and with M15 module. However the rep confirmed that it is exactly the same for U4s so there's that. But it is just a fun IEM to have in the collection. Its so interesting with the frequency chart that you showed. Both U4s and IE 600 have a similar bass curve but yet they sound so dissimilar. One is bass heavy (and dark in comparison) while IE 600 is not. I guess we humans hear the entire frequency response together and not in isolation. Just so interesting.

And yes! U4-SE brings back so many good memories. I made the unfortunate decision to sell it off for other IEMs. At the time 64 Audio was focusing with customs and they appeared to discontinuing their universal products and focusing only in the ultra high end offerings. So it was out of reach for me. I tried Campfire and constantly searching for something greater than U4-SE before staying with Sony IER-M7 for a good few years. I think the U4s is going to be a banger and I am looking to add it into my collection.

May 10, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #21,979 of 23,668
I have to caveat that the U4s that I heard was a demo unit for A4s and with M15 module. However the rep confirmed that it is exactly the same for U4s so there's that. But it is just a fun IEM to have in the collection. Its so interesting with the frequency chart that you showed. Both U4s and IE 600 have a similar bass curve but yet they sound so dissimilar. One is bass heavy (and dark in comparison) while IE 600 is not. I guess we humans hear the entire frequency response together and not in isolation. Just so interesting.
That's a very common mistake. It's important to remember that everything in audio is relative. If you wanted a warmer sound, you could as easily increase the bass as you could reduce the treble, so the bass becomes perceivably "louder". Treble extension also determines how much that mid-bass blooms or bleeds. So, you could have IEMs with matching bass responses, but one's boomy-er than the other, because it rolls off at 10kHz, for example. It's like how RGB values define the final color of an image; everything affects each other.

It's also important to see where a graph is normalized. So, for example, the U4S v. IE600 graph are pretty much matched between 20Hz and 2kHz, but they vary wildly in the treble. If you imagined the IE600 line brought down, such that they approximately matched in the treble, then the IE600 would end up having less bass and midrange presence than the U4S. So, it's key to keep things like that in mind when reading graphs.

May 10, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #21,980 of 23,668
It's also important to see where a graph is normalized.
This is so true. It baffles me that all these graphs do not show the same major units. So while you can see they have a similar curve but their levels are not the same.

May 10, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #21,981 of 23,668
This is so true. It baffles me that all these graphs do not show the same major units. So while you can see they have a similar curve but their levels are not the same.
I think the industry standard is to normalize at 1kHz. So, going back to that IE600 v. U4S chart, both lines are at exactly 60dB at 1kHz. That's also why, when you look at IEM spec sheets, a lot of them state their sensitivity and impedance at 1kHz; say, 96dB @ 1kHz or 16 Ohms @ 1kHz, respectively. In reality, those numbers will fluctuate across the frequency response, but the number taken at 1kHz is the approximate mean. I think a feature that would be helpful for all graph databases would be the ability to raise or lower a graph, such that we could perform the example I mentioned of normalizing at the treble, or the bass, etc.

May 12, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #21,982 of 23,668
Hi all, we have some extra B-Stock available so we've decided to increase the the discount from the normal 20% off retail to 30% off retail price through the end of the month. Stock is limited so get it while you can: https://www.64audio.com/pages/b-stock

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
May 13, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #21,983 of 23,668
Hello,

It would be interesting to hear from those who have experience with 64 Audio IEM issues and repairs.

I have owned my u12t for only 2 months now and already the right ear connection has broken. The 2 pins connector just doesn't grip on to the IEM now at all. It's a little worrying as I don't live in the US so I'm worried 64 Audio will ask me to pay for the cost of sending it back, getting it redelivered and then also paying the $130 customs fee.

What an expense for something that is not due to negligence from my side.

Since I've only owned it 2 months (bought directly from their website) I am very disappointed in how quickly it has broken despite me looking after it extremely carefully.

I did change the cable... But I did buy the $300 silver premium cable which on the website said was compatible with all the universals IEMs.

Has anybody been in a similar situation and had good / bad experiences?

I've already emailed their support team so fingers crossed.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #21,985 of 23,668
my 12t has 2 pins moving on the left and right earphones. I wrote to the store, they answered me that this is normal for 64 audio. I am delighted with this quality, I hope my 12t will not fail.
Mine do as well and it's by design - like airplane wings, they are not bolted firmly to the chassis but move about to reduce tension :)

May 14, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #21,987 of 23,668
Anyone got the eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips for the u12t?
Trying to see how they look with the iems plugged in, just so i know if i get that or order a set of a12t :)
I know that there was a guy a while back who did a review of the Eartine Fidelity custom tips with his Trios. He posted a picture of the fit in his ears. It made them stick out; not a stealth accessory by any means but not quite Frankenstein bolts either. It's noticeable. Try looking up "ADV Eartune Fidelity IEM sleeve" in the reviews section of Head-fi and you'll probably find the pic.

May 14, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #21,988 of 23,668
I know that there was a guy a while back who did a review of the Eartine Fidelity custom tips with his Trios. He posted a picture of the fit in his ears. It made them stick out; not a stealth accessory by any means but not quite Frankenstein bolts either. It's noticeable. Try looking up "ADV Eartune Fidelity IEM sleeve" in the reviews section of Head-fi and you'll probably find the pic.
Found it, thank you.
Thought it would stick out more than that so i guess it's okay.
But it seems there is a loss in detail though.
Considering if i should go custom instead... (or maybe doing a custom reshell on my u12t which seems to be possible though not by 64audio, no clue if there is a difference in quality though)

May 14, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #21,989 of 23,668
Found it, thank you.
Thought it would stick out more than that so i guess it's okay.
But it seems there is a loss in detail though.
Considering if i should go custom instead... (or maybe doing a custom reshell on my u12t which seems to be possible though not by 64audio, no clue if there is a difference in quality though)
I don't know if it's a loss in detail; what it might be is a change in high frequency resonances and response due to the fact that it bypasses so much more of the interactions with your ear canal than normal tips. Usually, the deep insertion will shift resonant peaks up the frequency spectrum. The Trio has peaks at around 10 and 15kHz (the famous Tia Treble) so it could easily shift out of the range of hearing with deep insertion for middle aged adults, which would give the perception of a darker sound. This would be the case with any custom IEM since most of them have a deep insertion depth.

As for third party reshelling, I wouldn't trust that at *all* because interactions between the drivers with each other and their enclosure is a large part of tuning. If you change any of that, you'll also change the tuning.

Custom Art also makes a custom tip, but theirs doesn't also include the outer ear and just fits like a normal tip. Maybe that's worth a look?

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #21,990 of 23,668
I don't know if it's a loss in detail; what it might be is a change in high frequency resonances and response due to the fact that it bypasses so much more of the interactions with your ear canal than normal tips. Usually, the deep insertion will shift resonant peaks up the frequency spectrum. The Trio has peaks at around 10 and 15kHz (the famous Tia Treble) so it could easily shift out of the range of hearing with deep insertion for middle aged adults, which would give the perception of a darker sound. This would be the case with any custom IEM since most of them have a deep insertion depth.

As for third party reshelling, I wouldn't trust that at *all* because interactions between the drivers with each other and their enclosure is a large part of tuning. If you change any of that, you'll also change the tuning.

Custom Art also makes a custom tip, but theirs doesn't also include the outer ear and just fits like a normal tip. Maybe that's worth a look?
I would assume the difference between custom tips and the ciem would be that 64audio accounted for that in their tuning?

Didn't find any reviews on 3rd party reshelling so yeah i take reshell with a grain of salt but on the other hand i'm not sure i'll like the custom tips, if i end-up not using them might aswell from the money for a custom, hard decision :frowning2:
Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back