The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 23, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #16,578 of 23,575
This is a great list, listened to it this afternoon. Except, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of it is EDM! Electronic yes, but more downtempo/chillout, some of it bordering on lounge. Don't get me wrong - I love it! But dance music it's not (well, maybe if you're totally stoned 😉).

Damnnn I thought it was edm lmao.

I guess your right but for me it is electronic music kinda but I agree my style is very lounge/chillout orianted alot! Very mystical and deep 😛

I am not the hardcore rave loud on bass and huge treble fan. I dont like all the electronic music but those that you feel trance dub chill ambient those I crave a lot.

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #16,580 of 23,575
Damnnn I thought it was edm lmao.

I guess your right but for me it is electronic music kinda but I agree my style is very lounge/chillout orianted alot! Very mystical and deep 😛

I am not the hardcore rave loud on bass and huge treble fan. I dont like all the electronic music but those that you feel trance dub chill ambient those I crave a lot.
I'm with you, I also prefer the slower, more melodic electronic variants. In fact I generally prefer electronic instruments (or some form of electronic elements) in music. And to that point, where there's no 'doof doof' going on and the treble isn't carving out the eardrums, the Fourte is the ideal IEM. You get that massive, deep, high stage that's so important with electronic effects, combined with tons of detail and laser-like imaging. So for EDM/dancefloor music where you want the subwoofers pumping, LX all the way, but for the more melodic, balanced stuff, Fourte for sure.

But here's a little secret. For most electronic stuff, where you're not concerned about timbre, accuracy or natural vocals, most well-tuned IEMs with good stage, imaging and sufficient bass weight will do the music justice. I can honestly listen to most electronic music, streamed, from my phone with BLONs and not be left wanting. Sure the high-end stuff is magic when you're concentrating on the music, but more often than not I listen to electronic music in the background, while working or walking, or travelling, and for that I find high end gear overkill. YMMV...

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #16,581 of 23,575
Very interesting conversation, and I too had thought this kind of music is generally "electronic" with EDM being more along the lines of the "doof doof" club music (albit also having a wide variety of sub-genres therein).

But, seem to be mistaken. If I do a quick Google search and look at a variety of articles and images, it seems that EDM is seen as the overarching parent" genre, with lots of sub-categories underneath it - ranging from very chilled ambient, to lounge, to techno and hardstyle, all the way to DnB jungle.

This was a good example of one of these articles describing the different sub-genres, their differences (dependent on BPM, amongst several other factors). And aptly starts off by stating...EDM has an endless list of genres – some have been around since the beginning, while others are popping up every year....other music genre resources often give an oversimplified view of the genre, without delving into the specifics....that’s why we’ve created this resource.....cover the production techniques behind each genre.

I think I will be reading through that article over the next few days / weeks. Gives a really great breakdown, description, and example tracks.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #16,582 of 23,575
Post some examples and I'll try them out. Which is your preferred IEM for EDM? Trio is an exceptional EDM IEM too, as is Nio.
A lot of the edm I listen to has pretty fast bass and the LX thumps a bit too hard. With the bass trying to pound quickly, it kind of overwhelms the track and it's hard to get and sense of the soundstage, which can be awesome with some edm. I mostly use my LX for Hip Hop/classical/movies and soundtracks. Not much beats it for those genres, besides maybe the LCD-i4 for classical.

My favorite for EDM is the Fourte, and sometimes the Trio. The Fourte has similar bass to the LX, just less by volume. It might also be a tad faster. The Fourte's bass can be a bit clicky with some music but I love it otherwise.

Here are a few examples of what I listen to (you might hate it lol):

Ghost Rider and Dura - Crossroads

Morten Granau - Polynomial

Leon Bolier - Ocean Drive Boulevard

Oliver Smith - Inside

After reading some further comments, I'm kinda confused. I feel like my Fourte pumps out a decent amount of bass, almost too much of I really crank the volume. It's just more sub-bass focused than the Trio. I suppose that for the edm I listen to, the melody and intricacies of the music are more important and would be drowned out by more bass. I like a lot of progressive trance and psytrance. I enjoy both the Trio and Fourte, but the Fourte has been my favorite since I bought it.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #16,584 of 23,575
A lot of the edm I listen to has pretty fast bass and the LX thumps a bit too hard. With the bass trying to pound quickly, it kind of overwhelms the track and it's hard to get and sense of the soundstage, which can be awesome with some edm. I mostly use my LX for Hip Hop/classical/movies and soundtracks. Not much beats it for those genres, besides maybe the LCD-i4 for classical.

My favorite for EDM is the Fourte, and sometimes the Trio. The Fourte has similar bass to the LX, just less by volume. It might also be a tad faster. The Fourte's bass can be a bit clicky with some music but I love it otherwise.

Oliver Smith - Inside

After reading some further comments, I'm kinda confused. I feel like my Fourte pumps out a decent amount of bass, almost too much of I really crank the volume. It's just more sub-bass focused than the Trio. I suppose that for the edm I listen to, the melody and intricacies of the music are more important and would be drowned out by more bass. I like a lot of progressive trance and psytrance. I enjoy both the Trio and Fourte, but the Fourte has been my favorite since I bought it.

Very cool tracks, all four of them. I can hear why you enjoy the Fourte with these, though definitely don't consider Fourte to have too much bass (like, ever). I still personally prefer this type of music (which is exactly what I regard as EDM) with the Legend X, but then for me there's no such thing as "too much sub-bass" (too much mid-bass that bleeds into the mids is another story entirely).

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #16,585 of 23,575

Oliver Smith - Inside

I have similar feelings as you regarding the Fourte bass. LX have more thicker bass that permeates across its sound spectrum. However it is not as clear and detailed as Fourte bass. Fourte bass is quicker too and has plenty of sub bass, but it is not as forward sounding, so appears not as powerful. Fourte bass can actually punch quite deep and hard with tons of texture. However I still think Trio feels more powerful due to its dynamic bass being more forward.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #16,586 of 23,575

Oliver Smith - Inside

Some classics there :) Ocean Drive Boulevard takes me back! I really like Leon Bolier’s newer stuff too, under his BLR alias

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #16,587 of 23,575
I have similar feelings as you regarding the Fourte bass. LX have more thicker bass that permeates across its sound spectrum. However it is not as clear and detailed as Fourte bass. Fourte bass is quicker too and has plenty of sub bass, but it is not as forward sounding, so appears not as powerful. Fourte bass can actually punch quite deep and hard with tons of texture. However I still think Trio feels more powerful due to its dynamic bass being more forward.
What the Trio gains on the Fourte in bass punch it loses in treble quality/detail/space, IMO. But that's a minor quibble, it's still very much a TOTL IEM. The LX replaced the Trio in my two-IEM collection.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #16,589 of 23,575
Agree. I love both Trio and LX too. Particularly the LX fit is great for me.
Yep LX fits like a glove though I must say Fourte is even more snug (probably because it's smaller and has Apex, so none of that suction feeling you get when the LX seal your ears like a plug). LX makes the Trio redundant for me, but if I didn't take the chance on a great deal for the LX (complete with Jack's personal service) I would have held on to the Trio.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #16,590 of 23,575
Yep LX fits like a glove though I must say Fourte is even more snug (probably because it's smaller and has Apex, so none of that suction feeling you get when the LX seal your ears like a plug). LX makes the Trio redundant for me, but if I didn't take the chance on a great deal for the LX (complete with Jack's personal service) I would have held on to the Trio.
I wonder how some would characterize the Odin with EDM, especially those that lean towards the Trio or Fourte over LX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back