The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 14, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #15,466 of 23,533
I wouldn't compare the Nio to any of the IMR IEMs. Good as they are for the price, they don't come close to the refinement and control and expert tuning of the Nio (and that's coming from a bona fide IMR fan).

IMR is all about big, bold, but uncontrolled bass, whereas Nio is nuanced, textured and very well controlled in my opinion, though of course a bit too big and bold for some with M15/20.

I personally don't find the Nio bloated, even with M15, with most of my music, but it can get a little loose and doesn't have the most focused or punchy bass response I've heard in a top tier IEM.

OK, thank you for your comments and impressions.

I am looking for a definitive IEM for me. The music I listen to is hard rock, progressive and metal. I don't listen to other types of music.

I currently have a ThieAudio Clairvoyance, a FiiO FH7, and an IMR Opus Mia. I like them all, but I recently bought a used Denon AH-D7000, and although I already know that headphones and IEMs cannot be compared, its sound is 100% what I am looking for. It seems perfect to me, for my tastes and the music I listen to.

So I'm looking for an IEM that can closely match the tonality and sound of the Denon AH-D7000 (I know that this, as such, is impossible). The Clairvoyance looks slightly alike, but I am bothered by its high mids peak (2.5 kHz). So I'm looking for something akin to the Clairvoyance, with similar or maybe a little more punchy bass, a little more relaxed high mids, and very defined but smooth highs.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #15,467 of 23,533
I wouldn't compare the Nio to any of the IMR IEMs. Good as they are for the price, they don't come close to the refinement and control and expert tuning of the Nio (and that's coming from a bona fide IMR fan).

IMR is all about big, bold, but uncontrolled bass, whereas Nio is nuanced, textured and very well controlled in my opinion, though of course a bit too big and bold for some with M15/20.

I personally don't find the Nio bloated, even with M15, with most of my music, but it can get a little loose and doesn't have the most focused or punchy bass response I've heard in a top tier IEM.

I nearly sold the Nio after I first got it as I thought it was too bassy, flabby, with no details. Now it is one of my all time favorites. (This is all with m15; the other two are either way too lean or too much for me).

If I didn't know better I would swear there was an incredible burn-in and settling of the DD. Miraculously, the BA highs must have burned in as well!

Of course this is most likely my brain getting used to the sound, but it is truly amazing what a reversal I experienced.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #15,468 of 23,533
OK, thank you for your comments and impressions.

I am looking for a definitive IEM for me. The music I listen to is hard rock, progressive and metal. I don't listen to other types of music.

I currently have a ThieAudio Clairvoyance, a FiiO FH7, and an IMR Opus Mia. I like them all, but I recently bought a used Denon AH-D7000, and although I already know that headphones and IEMs cannot be compared, its sound is 100% what I am looking for. It seems perfect to me, for my tastes and the music I listen to.

So I'm looking for an IEM that can closely match the tonality and sound of the Denon AH-D7000 (I know that this, as such, is impossible). The Clairvoyance looks slightly alike, but I am bothered by its high mids peak (2.5 kHz). So I'm looking for something akin to the Clairvoyance, with similar or maybe a little more punchy bass, a little more relaxed high mids, and very defined but smooth highs.
For those genre's I'd definitely look into the Z1R. It's pretty spectacular for more aggressive types of music.

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #15,470 of 23,533
So, I had a few good sessions with the Fourte Noir, to the point when I think I am ready to share some impression. Note, these this is not intended to be a full review; rather a gathering of throughs and notes taken down while listening. Where possible, some comparisons to my other 64 Audio IEMs are included, albeit be inference rather than direct comparison (I dislike direct A / B sessions so tend to avoid those).

Let me first start with the earpieces themselves. They are truly beautiful to behold. As captured in one of the photos I put up a few days ago, the faceplate has a beautiful allure, with depth to the colours, and an elemental-like surface, dimpled by the patina. The fit is terrific in my ears; and using something like the JVC Spiral Dot, I feel no pain or pressure points, which I sometimes get with the likes of the U12t which seem to have a narrower, longer nozzle.

• Starting with Carla Bruni’s – Raphael. Large, distinctly shaped soundstage. The nuances in the instruments are highly detailed. In the acoustic strumming in left channel, I can hear the vibration of the guitar’s body. In the right, the deftness of the finger work is convincingly real. Voice is very clear – a little forward yet easy to listen, sultry, and shaped by the raspiness of her voice. The clarity of vocals is a theme I may repeat several times.
  • Anna Nalick – Wreck of the Day. The details just surround you. Drum kicking in just before 1:00 is beautifully rendered. You can hear the stick against the drum and feel the resonance of the body. In the first crescendo at 2:00 her voice scales but remains pristine and organic. The Noir then handles the complex passage from 3:30 with aplomb; probably the best I have heard in an IEM or headphone.
  • Brandi Carlisle – Turpentine. The bass at around 0:20 and then again around 0:40 is deep. I can see where the “thicker low bass” comments in reviews and impressions come from. It is musical, and doesn’t seem to bleed, though I can foresee some people considering it bloat or drone relative to more neutral IEMs. I also understand now the reference to “speaker-like” bass that just appears in the room like a good floorstander or subwoofer. In the chorus at 1:30, the violin / viola in the left channel is so beautiful and easy to follow, and there a great distinction between Brandi and the accompanying male singer.
  • Feist’s Secret Heart has terrific bass depth and control. The vocals are extremely clear, so distinct. Zero harshness, yet not dark at all. It is songs like these where I can hear the singing but sometimes struggle to make out individual words; this is not the case with the Noir.

At this point a comment on separation – it is very, very good. Probably better than all my other IEMs. But it is what I would call “believable”. It feels cohesive though; likely does not reach the same levels of holographic presentations as other TOTL earphones, like, say, and Odin or OG Fourte (though I have not heard either); or headphones like the HD800 – where that separation can sometimes feel a little too much.

Bass wise, I can appreciate the organic DD decay, with its slower, natural roll off. Yet when there are two deep and powerful beats in quick succession, they are very distinct. This tells me that while the decay is natural, it can bounce back with heft and speed where called for by the material.

• Back to some specific songs, Reb Fountain – Together. It feels livelier than the Trio, but more non-fatiguing. I think it is the clarity of vocals without the shimmer or glassiness the Trio can sometimes present. The instruments are wide and distinct where on the track. This aligns to the separation comment about and the soundstage being “believable”.
  • Heidi Talbot – Glenlogie. One of my favorite folk track, scattered with immersive instruments that surround you. A pristine, angelic voice center stage, with sonic details appearing in both the far left and right. A really incredible rendering.
  • Meiko’s rendition of Stand by Me highlights one of the Noir’s strengths that I have not heard before in an IEM, at least not executed anywhere as excellently as this….vertical height. It’s a real thing here; makes the room feel so big stretching far beyond my head; perhaps especially evident in this binaural recording. The strumming in the left channel and clicking in the right are crystal clear. And the resonance of the upright bass is palpable.
  • Rilo Kiley’s Never is a sibilance test. What I like about the Noir is that it presents the crunch and distortion of electric guitars without becoming harsh. The vocals just soar – the are forward, but as the increase in range and volume they remain pristine and life like. The same applies to Portions for Foxes from the same album. When she sings “baby I’m bad news” it’s often screechy / glassy / shiny – such as on the Trio or even the Nio with its forward mids – not on the Noir. It’s both energetic and smooth at the same time, one of the tricks the Noir excels at.
  • Changing pace now to the Mandalorian theme song. Let’s see how it renders that deep bass and the brass instruments….very well indeed! The sub bass line moves the whole song into life, and with each passage the brass instruments increase in volume and rapidity, while retaining the bite required for realism. I can imagine a little more separation in the complex packages with leaner IEMs.

I feel that what the Noir sacrifices in that regard (only in direct comparison – this is still the most holographic of the IEMs that I have yet heard) it makes up for in musicality, body, and smoothness. It likely also retains the level of microdetail but presents it in a more natural, softer manner; where the more neutral IEMs would edge it out in incisiveness and microdetail sharpness.

• Continuing with specific songs, Selena’s Hands to Myself, which granted is a bass heavy pop song, is really heavy. Quite thick. To my ears, any more bass than this is eardrum suicide.
  • That weight adds to the organic nature and musicality though. Case in point is Shelby Lynne’s Just a Lil’ Lovin’. In addition, every nuance of her vibrato, every snare of the drum, every strike of the piano, has a great sense of depth, texture, and realism.
  • Dreams, by the Cranberries, comes from an album that is recorded at very low volume. I kept the volume the same to test low level listening. What I appreciate is that there is still a terrific amount of detail, and weight. Notably, compared to the U12t that can be flat and dull at low volume.
  • Ingrid Michaelson’s Way I Am is a track close to my hear. I love the guitar body resonance which is visceral, as is the tapping of the drum. The handclaps in the far left and right are ghostly real, but can imagine would be pushed even further out and with more air and space in the OG. I’ll reiterate, what’s really special here is clarity of voice. Engaging yet not fatiguing. Versus something like a Trio which can be etched and cross the border into sibilance.
  • Imogen Heap Between Sheets envelopes you with the interplay of piano, soaring vocals and electronica effects that just suck you in. There’s an ethereal musicality in the Noir that’s difficult to describe. It’s a big sound. The midbass warmth and body is undoubtedly contributing.

Really enjoying what the Noir offers. Look forward to experimenting with tips, cables, and some select comparisons to other flagship IEMs if and when I am fortunate enough to get the opportunity.

A final word I can use to describe the Noir’s sound – in addition to "lively" and "engaging", is "dense". And it is the ability to be dense, lively, engaging, all while not being fatiguing, that is the key to its magic.

Note – all testing was done on the HiBy R8 using local files via UAPP. I listened at 38 low gain, no turbo, using the stock Noir cable, which I must say, is a beautiful cable, especially compared to the stock cables normally bundled with 64 Audio IEMs.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #15,471 of 23,533
So, I had a few good sessions with the Fourte Noir, to the point when I think I am ready to share some impression. Note, these this is not intended to be a full review; rather a gathering of throughs and notes taken down while listening. Where possible, some comparisons to my other 64 Audio IEMs are included, albeit be inference rather than direct comparison (I dislike direct A / B sessions so tend to avoid those).

Let me first start with the earpieces themselves. They are truly beautiful to behold. As captured in one of the photos I put up a few days ago, the faceplate has a beautiful allure, with depth to the colours, and an elemental-like surface, dimpled by the patina. The fit is terrific in my ears; and using something like the JVC Spiral Dot, I feel no pain or pressure points, which I sometimes get with the likes of the U12t which seem to have a narrower, longer nozzle.

• Starting with Carla Bruni’s – Raphael. Large, distinctly shaped soundstage. The nuances in the instruments are highly detailed. In the acoustic strumming in left channel, I can hear the vibration of the guitar’s body. In the right, the deftness of the finger work is convincingly real. Voice is very clear – a little forward yet easy to listen, and shaped by the sultriness of her voice. The clarity of vocals is a theme I may repeat several times.
  • Anna Nalick – Wreck of the Day. The details just surround you. Drum kicking in just before 1:00 is beautifully rendered. You can hear the stick against the drum and feel the resonance of the body. In the first crescendo at 2:00 her voice scales but remains pristine and organic. The Noir then handles the complex passage from 3:30 with aplomb; probably the best I have heard in an IEM or headphone.
  • Brandi Carlisle – Turpentine. The bass at around 0:20 and then again around 0:40 is deep. I can see where the “thicker low bass” comments in reviews and impressions come from. It is musical, and doesn’t seem to bleed, though I can foresee some people considering it bloat or drone relative to more neutral IEMs. I also understand now the reference to “speaker-like” bass that just appears in the room like a good floorstander or subwoofer. In the chorus at 1:30, the violin / viola in the left channel is so beautiful and easy to follow, and there a great distinction between Brandi and the accompanying male singer.
  • Feist’s Secret Heart has terrific bass depth and control. The vocals are extremely clear, so distinct. Zero harshness, yet not dark at all. It is songs like these where I can hear the singing but sometimes struggle to make out individual words; this is not the case with the Noir.

At this point a comment on separation – it is very, very good. Probably better than all my other IEMs. But it is what I would call “believable”. It feels cohesive though; likely does not reach the same levels of holographic presentations as other TOTL earphones, like, say, and Odin or OG Fourte (though I have not heard either); or headphones like the HD800 – where that separation can sometimes feel a little too much.

Bass wise, I can appreciate the organic DD decay, with its slower, natural roll off. Yet when there are two deep and powerful beats in quick succession, they are very distinct. This tells me that while the decay is natural, it can bounce back with heft and speed where called for by the material.

• Back to some specific songs, Reb Fountain – Together. It feels livelier than the Trio, but more non-fatiguing. I think it is the clarity of vocals without the shimmer or glassiness the Trio can sometimes present. The instruments are wide and distinct where on the track. This aligns to the separation comment about and the soundstage being “believable”.
  • Heidi Talbot – Glenlogie. One of my favorite folk track, scattered with immersive instruments that surround you. A pristine, angelic voice center stage, with sonic details appearing in both the far left and right. A really incredible rendering.
  • Meiko’s rendition of Stand by Me highlights one of the Noir’s strengths that I have not heard before in an IEM, at least not executed anywhere as excellently as this….vertical height. It’s a real thing here; makes the room feel so big stretching far beyond my head; perhaps especially evident in this binaural recording. The strumming in the left channel and clicking in the right are crystal clear. And the resonance of the upright bass is palpable.
  • Rilo Kiley’s Never is a sibilance test. What I like about the Noir is that it presents the crunch and distortion of electric guitars without becoming harsh. The vocals just soar – the are forward, but as the increase in range and volume they remain pristine and life like. The same applies to Portions for Foxes from the same album. When she sings “baby I’m bad news” it’s often screechy / glassy / shiny – such as on the Trio or even the Nio with its forward mids – not on the Noir. It’s both energetic and smooth at the same time, one of the tricks the Noir excels at.
  • Changing pace now to the Mandalorian theme song. Let’s see how it renders that deep bass and the brass instruments….very well indeed! The sub bass line moves the whole song into life, and with each passage the brass instruments increase in volume and rapidity, while retaining the bite required for realism. I can imagine a little more separation in the complex packages with leaner IEMs.

I feel that what the Noir sacrifices in that regard (only in direct comparison – this is still the most holographic of the IEMs that I have yet heard) it makes up for in musicality, body, and smoothness. It likely also retains the level of microdetail but presents it in a more natural, softer manner; where the more neutral IEMs would edge it out in incisiveness and microdetail sharpness.

• Continuing with specific songs, Selena’s Hands to Myself, which granted is a bass heavy pop song, is really heavy. Quite thick. To my ears, any more bass than this is eardrum suicide.
  • That weight adds to the organic nature and musicality though. Case in point is Shelby Lynne’s Just a Lil’ Lovin’. In addition, every nuance of her vibrato, every snare of the drum, every strike of the piano, has a great sense of depth, texture, and realism.
  • Dreams, by the Cranberries, comes from an album that is recorded at very low volume. I kept the volume the same to test low level listening. What I appreciate is that there is still a terrific amount of detail, and weight. Notably, compared to the U12t that can be flat and dull at low volume.
  • Ingrid Michaelson’s Way I Am is a track close to my hear. I love the guitar body resonance which is visceral, as is the tapping of the drum. The handclaps in the far left and right are ghostly real, but can imagine would be pushed even further out and with more air and space in the OG. I’ll reiterate, what’s really special here is clarity of voice. Engaging yet not fatiguing. Versus something like a Trio which can be etched and cross the border into sibilance.
  • Imogen Heap Between Sheets envelopes you with the interplay of piano, soaring vocals and electronica effects that just suck you in. There’s an ethereal musicality in the Noir that’s difficult to describe. It’s a big sound. The midbass warmth and body is undoubtedly contributing.

Really enjoying what the Noir offers. Look forward to experimenting with tips, cables, and some select comparisons to other flagship IEMs if and when I am fortunate enough to get the opportunity.

A final word I can use to describe the Noir’s sound – in addition to "lively" and "engaging", is "dense". And it is the ability to be dense, lively, engaging, all while not being fatiguing, that is the key to its magic.

Note – all testing was done on the HiBy R8 using local files via UAPP. I listened at 38 low gain, no turbo, using the stock Noir cable, which I must say, is a beautiful cable, especially compared to the stock cables normally bundled with 64 Audio IEMs.
The gold standard of impressions as always @xenithon.

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #15,472 of 23,533
fullhousebaby.jpg

Full house, baby! Ready and waiting for the 64 Audio High-end Hybrid Shootout:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #15,474 of 23,533
fullhousebaby.jpg

Full house, baby! Ready and waiting for the 64 Audio High-end Hybrid Shootout:sunglasses:

Are you telling me you got all them on hands? :eye: :eye: :eye: :eye: :scream_cat:

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #15,475 of 23,533
Are you telling me you got all them on hands? :eye: :eye: :eye: :eye: :scream_cat:
I do indeed, borrowed @xenithon's Noir to complete the set and test them all against each other with my music library on the R8. Full review coming soon, watch this space.

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #15,476 of 23,533
I do indeed, borrowed @xenithon's Noir to complete the set and test them all against each other with my music library on the R8. Full review coming soon, watch this space.
Cool. I have the Nio and am thinking of adding the Fourte or Noir (if it can be found), so I'm especially interested in the differences between those two. I have already read a few comparisons on this thread, but still not sure which would fit better with my music preferences (rock/metal).

Looking forward to your impressions and comparisons of all four.

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #15,477 of 23,533
Have someone else tested U12T vs MEST? So hard to choose!

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #15,478 of 23,533
Cool. I have the Nio and am thinking of adding the Fourte or Noir (if it can be found), so I'm especially interested in the differences between those two. I have already read a few comparisons on this thread, but still not sure which would fit better with my music preferences (rock/metal).

Looking forward to your impressions and comparisons of all four.
I'll be sure to include plenty of comparisons between Nio and the others with actual music as reference points. Nio was my first of the four so I know it better than the others. I'll say this without spoilers: it's the most versatile and easy listening of the set.

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #15,480 of 23,533
I'll be sure to include plenty of comparisons between Nio and the others with actual music as reference points. Nio was my first of the four so I know it better than the others. I'll say this without spoilers: it's the most versatile and easy listening of the set.
Every time I think of paring down my collection by selling my Nio (especially with the goodies incoming this week), someone says something like this and reminds me how good it is. Sigh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back