The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #14,641 of 23,560
They do certainly seem to match his preferences. And as much as I like the bassy sound, I can definitely agree, the bass is not the tightest or cleanest on the nio. The z1r handily bested it there and my new ca dorado also has better bass quality in my opinion.

I know crins word can definitely move some units, but considering the price and that the u12t and trio are still rated higher overall, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a ton of further discussion about it.

I would also be interested to see how he would feel if he got his hands on the fir n0 module. It's not a huge change from the m15, but I thought it did a better job of taming the bass without really neutering it like the mx seems to. Mx just hasn't been my cup of tea personally.
I've actually decided to finally try the MX for myself based on his review. I have the Fir 0 too. I'm mainly going to try listen to material that would benefit from more detail that M15 bass might otherwise hide, like vocal acoustic music.

Starting with one of my all-time favourite acoustic vocalists, Rosie Thomas (These Friends of Mine). Will report back here, but initial impressions are a cleaner, lighter tone, and since the tracks aren't bass heavy I'm not listening for thump or rumble I might otherwise miss. Layering seems improved too, as is imaging.

I think Crin hears the Nio very much like I do, and am very glad he acknowledges its superb tonality and, while not S-tier, I've always contended the technicalities were easily A+. Seems I'm not the only one :wink:

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #14,642 of 23,560
Can you describe the difference between the Trio and the Fourte?

The bass of Trio is more impactful/powerful, Fourte’s bass more reference. Mid is warmer on Fourte unlike Trio’s thinner mid as the upper mid of Fourte is less elevated. Some say Fourte’s high is aggressive but I actually think it is better than Trio as it is very detailed and smooth (sweet). Soundstage on Fourte is similar to Trio which is wide and deep. Fourte imaged better as its tuning is more balance. Fourte center focus is excellent.

This is just based on initial impressions as I only have limited listening time so far. Perhaps I will try to find a Trio after some listening time to AB them properly later.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #14,643 of 23,560
I've actually decided to finally try the MX for myself based on his review. I have the Fir 0 too. I'm mainly going to try listen to material that would benefit from more detail that M15 bass might otherwise hide, like vocal acoustic music.

Starting with one of my all-time favourite acoustic vocalists, Rosie Thomas (These Friends of Mine). Will report back here, but initial impressions are a cleaner, lighter tone, and since the tracks aren't bass heavy I'm not listening for thump or rumble I might otherwise miss. Layering seems improved too, as is imaging.

I think Crin hears the Nio very much like I do, and am very glad he acknowledges its superb tonality and, while not S-tier, I've always contended the technicalities were easily A+. Seems I'm not the only one :wink:

MX sound the best to me. Then again, everyone ears and brain processes sound differently, so ymmv.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #14,646 of 23,560
Which model would you say is best for using as a monitor on stage for live rock music?

It depends on what instrument you’re playing. For drums, I’d wholeheartedly recommend the A18t. Its crisper mid-treble and tighter bass make it better for monitoring the hi-hat and kick, respectively. Whereas, the A18s’s slight mid-focus will allow you to better monitor instruments like electric guitars or vocals without as much fatigue. The A18s’s more linear, more even tonality makes it the better option (for me) behind the mixing desk as well.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #14,647 of 23,560
It depends on what instrument you’re playing. For drums, I’d wholeheartedly recommend the A18t. Its crisper mid-treble and tighter bass make it better for monitoring the hi-hat and kick, respectively. Whereas, the A18s’s slight mid-focus will allow you to better monitor instruments like electric guitars or vocals without as much fatigue. The A18s’s more linear, more even tonality makes it the better option (for me) behind the mixing desk as well.
[/QUOTE

Got it, this would be for guitar. Any opinions on the a12t vs. the a18s?

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #14,648 of 23,560
Got it, this would be for guitar. Any opinions on the a12t vs. the a18s?

From what I’ve heard, they’d serve similar functions. But, the A18s will have the better headroom, resolution and separation of the two. If we’re basing the A12t’s bass performance on the U12t, it should also have more of a sub-bass focus, while the A18s is stronger in the mid-bass.

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #14,649 of 23,560
Not sure why there are past complaints about the original Fourte like incoherent sound, funny stage and wonky tonality... I just had it for a few days and even though it has been almost 4 years since it was initially released, it still sounded great to me. It is very musical and vocals have accurate tones true to real voices. Technicalities are at high level as well. Am I missing something?

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #14,652 of 23,560
Not sure why there are past complaints about the original Fourte like incoherent sound, funny stage and wonky tonality... I just had it for a few days and even though it has been almost 4 years since it was initially released, it still sounded great to me. It is very musical and vocals have accurate tones true to real voices. Technicalities are at high level as well. Am I missing something?
It is still a quality IEM. However most feel its vocals can get sibilant. Female vocals. Still a TOTL though. It is also pretty revealing of different cables if you ever need an IEM for those comparisons. I felt it got new life when I paired it with the AzlaSednaLight Short tips.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #14,653 of 23,560

I'm on the same page.
Fourte is one of the greatest iem from 64audio.
It's more revealing than most of bad recordings, that's all.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #14,654 of 23,560
It is still a quality IEM. However most feel its vocals can get sibilant. Female vocals. Still a TOTL though. It is also pretty revealing of different cables if you ever need an IEM for those comparisons. I felt it got new life when I paired it with the AzlaSednaLight Short tips.

Thank you for confirming Frankie. I think I’m going to keep it. I didn’t find female vocal sibilant in general. I agree with Sednalight Short sounded very good among the tips I tried. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back