The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #14,101 of 23,560
Definitely only relatively speaking. The Trio is my go-to for high energy dynamic excitement and to my ears is already hyper-clear. I expect details will jump up another notch when I upgrade to a TOTL DAP next year, which I expect will be more details than my poor ears can handle already. I listen to Nio more often because I generally prefer a relaxed, laid-back tuning and Trio is definitely not that (and by the sounds of it Odin is on the other end of the spectrum to Nio too). More isn't always better when it comes to relaxing music listening.

No, I don’t think a TOTL DAP will make the Trio clarity to the level of the Odin. It is due to their tuning and drivers setup. You have to try it yourself to appreciate the difference of both.

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #14,102 of 23,560
No, I don’t think a TOTL DAP will make the Trio clarity to the level of the Odin. It is due to their tuning and drivers setup. You have to try it yourself to appreciate the difference of both.
I didn't say to Odin level, but since Trio is more than detailed enough for me as-is (with my HiBy R6 Pro), bumping up the DAP to an R8 will be above and beyond what I need. I'm also not interested in spending $3k+ on am IEM, especially not one without all the tech inside 64 Audio's IEMs. Just my personal opinion, don't shoot me.

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #14,103 of 23,560
I didn't say to Odin level, but since Trio is more than detailed enough for me as-is (with my HiBy R6 Pro), bumping up the DAP to an R8 will be above and beyond what I need. I'm also not interested in spending $3k+ on am IEM, especially not one without all the tech inside 64 Audio's IEMs. Just my personal opinion, don't shoot me.

Sure, I agree not everyone will spent on 3k+ IEM. Just sharing some info here about the Odin and differences as I hear it compared to the Trio. That’s all.

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #14,104 of 23,560

We here at 64 Audio wanted to start a fresh thread for continuing discussion about our current and future products and plans.

A lot has happened over the past year! We successfully delivered over a thousand Kickstarter A-Series and U-Series products to our backers, changed our name from 1964 EARS to 64 Audio, moved into a larger facility and skipped across the river into Vancouver, WA, designed and manufactured our own custom carrying case, retired our venerable V-Series line, began offering an upgrade program for Qi, V6-S, and V8 customers, transitioned to apex module technology for our custom and universal-fit products, and finally, the most exciting news for us... we recently announced our eighteen-driver A18 Tzar, U18 Tzar, and the Fourté -- the first IEM built entirely using tia, our patent-pending tubeless in-ear audio technology.

Click here to learn more about the revolutionary tia™ technology

Click here to learn more about apex™ technology

The 64 Audio U18 Tzar™ is the world’s first universal-fit earphone with 18 balanced armature drivers per ear. It is the pinnacle of in-ear sound, designed for the most discerning listeners, audiophiles, and musicians who are searching for the ultimate reference sound. Pairing up a massive collection of 8 low drivers and 8 mid drivers with the tia™ high and high-mid drivers, all in a shell that's actually smaller than our previous universal-fit flagship 12 driver! The result is an incredibly tight low end, super transparent mids, remarkable high-frequency extension, and an out-of-this-world depth and soundstage. The U18 is designed with a combination of tia drivers and conventional drivers. Sound from the low and mid drivers combines in the tia single-bore and blends with amazingly detailed highs from the proprietary open balanced armature tia high driver. A protective mesh covering at the end of the stem helps to keep out debris while apex™ module technology allows for customizing the sound signature and reduces air pressure inside the ear canal for fatigue-free listening. All of this technology is housed in an aluminum shell for unmatched durability and beauty with elegant copper inlay patina faceplates. We pushed the limits with innovation and design to pack this kind of punch in a super ergonomic universal-fit design and are thrilled to finally drop this bomb on the in-ear monitor industry.

Technical Specifications:
Transducer type: Eighteen precision balanced armature drivers
Transducer configuration: 1 tia™ high, 1 high-mid, 8 mid, 8 low
Impedance: 9 ohms @ 1kHz
Sensitivity: 115 dB/mW
Frequency response: 10Hz - 20kHz
Isolation: -20dB with apex m20 module
Crossover: Integrated 4-way passive crossover

Features:
tia™ high drivers
tia™ single-bore design
apex™ Module Technology
Universal-Fit w/foam and Silicone Tips
Anodized Aluminum Shells
Warranty: 1-year Parts and Labor

Price: $2,999 (USD)
Click here to learn more about U18 Tzar

The 64 Audio A18 Tzar™ is the world’s first custom-fit earphone with 18 balanced armature drivers per ear. Designed for the most demanding listeners who are looking for the ultimate in reference sound, it features 8 low drivers, 8 mid drivers, and the incredibly smooth tia™ high and high-mid drivers. Sound from the low and mid drivers combines in the tia single-bore and blends with amazingly detailed highs from the proprietary open balanced armature tia high driver. The result is an incredibly tight low end, super transparent mids, remarkable high-frequency extension, and an out-of-this-world depth and soundstage. A protective mesh covering at the end of the stem helps to keep out debris while apex™ module technology allows for customizing the sound signature and reduces air pressure inside the ear canal for fatigue-free listening. We pushed the limits with innovation and design to fit such a driver package in a custom earphone and are thrilled to finally drop this bomb on the in-ear monitor industry.

Like all 64 Audio Custom IEMs, the A18 monitors are 3D printed based on your uniquely shaped ear impressions and are fully customizable with a wide range of handcrafted finishes. They are inherently noise isolating and are designed to work with a wide range of personal audio devices including all hard-wired and wireless monitor systems.

Transducer type: Eighteen precision balanced armature drivers
Transducer configuration: 1 tia™ high, 1 high-mid, 8 mid, 8 low
Impedance: 9 ohms @ 1kHz
Sensitivity: 116 dB/mW
Frequency response: 10Hz - 20kHz
Isolation: -20dB with apex m20 module

Features:
tia™ high drivers
tia™ single-bore design
apex™ Module Technology
Hypoallergenic, hard acrylic shells
Warranty: 2-year Parts and Labor

Price: $2,999 (USD)
Click here to learn more about A18 Tzar

The 64 Audio tia Fourté™ is a first-of-its-kind universal-fit earphone that takes full advantage of the patent pending tia™ system and everything we’ve learned up to this point in designing world-class in-ear monitors. The earphones are machined out of a solid piece of aluminum for a durable yet elegant look with beautiful copper patina finish inlayed on the faceplates. Inside, proprietary tia open balanced armatures are expertly arranged to deliver rich, natural sound in a brand new way. Featuring ground breaking technology such as frequency-shaping acoustic chambers in combination with an internal passive radiator that help to craft a visceral low end, smooth mids, and a luscious 3D soundstage. Get ready to hear detailed highs like you've never experienced before thanks to a custom open balanced armature tia high driver. Additionally, internal apex™ technology helps to vent air pressure from inside the ear canal for fatigue-free listening. We broke all the rules and started from scratch to come up with the tia Fourté and still managed to fit this ground-breaking technology into a shell that's smaller and more ergonomic than our Universal-Fit 12 driver model.

Transducer type: 3 precision balanced armature drivers, 1 dynamic driver
Transducer configuration: 1 tia™ high, 1 high-mid, 1 tia™ mid, 1 dynamic low
Impedance: 10 ohms @ 1kHz
Sensitivity: 114 dB/mW
Frequency response: 5Hz - 22kHz
Isolation: -20dB

Features:
tia™ system: tia™ drivers, single-bore, acoustic chambers, passive radiator
Internal apex™ Technology
Universal-Fit w/foam and Silicone Tips
Anodized Aluminum Shells
Warranty: 1-year Parts and Labor

Price: $3,599 (USD)

Click here to learn more about tia Fourté

(Rest assured, our newest models were designed with and optimized for ultra-low impedance sources and cables!)

Feel free to visit our website for more information about current and upcoming products and don't hesitate to get in touch with our Customer Service department for information or support. We also keep a pretty close watch here on Head-Fi so... if you've got questions about packing eighteen drivers into a shell that's smaller than a U12 or want to know more about constructing a multi-driver IEM without any tubes, we're all ears!

www.64audio.com

[tr] [td]

[/td][/tr]​
[td][/td]

The A12t/U12t are among my favorite I've ever used. Incredible balance and detail while remaining just lively enough in bass response to be ultimately enjoyable for every use - just beautiful. Apex technology really works to alleviate pneumatic pressure and reduce ear fatigue too. Awesome products.

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #14,105 of 23,560
I think my search for audio nirvana is over for a while.......

Just enjoying the music on this combo... and at what i think is a realistic price point as i have other more expensive hobbies too attend to...

Lovely. What a great source of info head-fi is!

IMG-20201015-WA0000.jpg

Oct 15, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #14,106 of 23,560
To answer the question about Fourte vs u18t
I spent a couple of months torn between the 2 and ended up going with the U18t
For me it just seems to do everything right with out exaggerating anything.
Tips and DAC/amp are crucial - I think some who find it too forward may not have persevered for long enough? I almost did the same and listed for sale finding it too bright, and then tried with the Mojo Poly and soon realised they were keepers :). Now I am fully used to the U18T presentation, I could probably go back to the brighter source and still love it though!

Also a good seal with foam tips and I don’t see anyone could complain about any lack of bass. In fact I find it a bit too much / hides some of the sparkle I get with wide bore silicone tips.

Or actually spinfit double flange seem to be a good halfway house :)

Anyway - all so personal, but having spent 6 months trying Solaris / Ier z1r / Jomo trinity / Kse1200 / Fourte .... and some others I forget .... They all had “problems” to live with in some way for me.

The U18T has none that I can think of :) Worst case I could change to foam tips for tracks I want warming up (thinly recorded rock eg) and silicone when want it cleaner and airier and there is no lack of bass on the recording (psy trance / hip hop)

My pennies worth :)

Nice post - yes I agree that the KSE1200 and Fourte do have some form of weaknesses (The KSE1200 for its arguably lack of coloration/emotive tone and the Fourte for the slightly incoherent upper midrange). The 64 Audio U18t - I can not think of any glaring weaknesses.

However, the Tia Fourte has a unique tonality which when paired with certain songs is really quite hard to match. The KSE1200 is also hard to match where speed, tautness and articulacy are concerned.

The 64 Audio Nio is a great in-ear monitor to kick back and listen - a large bass with a musically rich sound - although not the best in technicalities. The Tia Trio is closer to the Nio than the Tia Fourte with a forward midrange albeit with a leaner note size, better technicalities and high-end extension.

Oct 15, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #14,107 of 23,560
If I’m honest I only moved the KSE1200 on because of issues with fit and having to carry that amp around, with no Bluetooth so needing a cable to my phone on top. Nothing to do with the incredible sound :)

That said - I would like to compare it directly the U18T this time using some deeper fitting tips and my Qudelix 5k into the line input, maybe boosting the bass a tad

Would be an interesting shoot out :)

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #14,108 of 23,560
The 64 Audio Nio is a great in-ear monitor to kick back and listen - a large bass with a musically rich sound - although not the best in technicalities.
When we knock some points off the Nio for 'technicalities' we have to be careful to mention that this is relatively speaking to $2k+ IEMs with leaner/more direct/more clinical tuning, lest inexperienced listeners get the impression that a $1700 64 Audio IEM lacks technicalities. It most certainly does not, that I can assure you. It's just far more relaxed than your hyper-precise and uber-detail-laden brethren (which, I can also assure you, is very often preferable, at least to this listener).

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #14,109 of 23,560
When we knock some points off the Nio for 'technicalities' we have to be careful to mention that this is relatively speaking to $2k+ IEMs with leaner/more direct/more clinical tuning, lest inexperienced listeners get the impression that a $1700 64 Audio IEM lacks technicalities. It most certainly does not, that I can assure you. It's just far more relaxed than your hyper-precise and uber-detail-laden brethren (which, I can also assure you, is very often preferable, at least to this listener).

So Nio has better detail retrieval and a bigger stage than the Andro?...

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #14,110 of 23,560
That is a tricky one considering the modules do change the "head space" and detail perception, so to speak. Using the MX module the sound is probably as close to comparable to the Andromeda 2020 as you'll get. Even then the Nio with MX has more bass and a thicker presentation. I'm inclined to say the Andromeda 2020 is a still a tad more holographic and the gap only increases as you pair the Nio with less isolating modules. Detail retrieval is also very close but the Andromeda 2020's sense of space may amplify that perception.

Edit.. for those that rely on graphs, I am aware that the Nio / MX module bass measures lower than the Andromeda 2020. Despite that, the Nio may roll off in sub bass earlier but the DD of the Nio still creates a greater bass depth.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #14,111 of 23,560

Valid points but I do not believe price plays a factor when talking about technicalities. The Campfire Audio Ara ($1299) has better detailing and a more precise sound than the more expensive Nio. However, certainly preferences come into play here which is why tonality and technicality should be considered separately. Even though the Ara is technically more proficient, it is easier for me to get lost in Nio's sound :)

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #14,112 of 23,560
Valid points but I do not believe price plays a factor when talking about technicalities. The Campfire Audio Ara ($1299) has better detailing and a more precise sound than the more expensive Nio. However, certainly preferences come into play here which is why tonality and technicality should be considered separately. Even though the Ara is technically more proficient, it is easier for me to get lost in Nio's sound :)
Agreed, Ara’s technicalities are underrated IMO for its price point. I personally actually enjoyed the tonality as well.

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #14,113 of 23,560

Sorry, if this was intended to be redundant! Personally, I think the Andro (at least the 2020 version) is a step-up. For detail retrieval, specifically, they might be around the same level. But in terms of resolution, crispness of note articulation and overall resolving capability, I think the Andro 2020 has an edge. The Nio has the "rounded" attack thing that all the 64 Audio IEMs seem to have. On one hand, it's really pleasant to hear, but you do lose some resolution. In terms of imaging, the Andro 2020's also got much more outward diffusal laterally and stage open-ness; positional cues are rendered at a similar level to my ears.

I think the general consensus is that as you go up in price, technical capability likewise increases - maybe not linearly, but there's a correlation!

Agreed that the Ara has better detailing and resolution than the Nio. It's a decent pick at that price if all you care about is technical proficiency. However, it has an issue (to my ears) in which the macrodynamics skew downwards and you get that same transient compression in the midrange that the Andro 2020 has. I think that's probably to account for why you enjoy Nio more, and it's the same case for me. The tonality of the Ara, as you noted, is also not the most desirable.

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #14,114 of 23,560
Sorry, if this was intended to be redundant! Personally, I think the Andro (at least the 2020 version) is a step-up. For detail retrieval, specifically, they might be around the same level. But in terms of resolution, crispness of note articulation and overall resolving capability, I think the Andro 2020 has an edge. The Nio has the "rounded" attack thing that all the 64 Audio IEMs seem to have. On one hand, it's really pleasant to hear, but you do lose some resolution. In terms of imaging, the Andro 2020's also got much more outward diffusal laterally and stage open-ness; positional cues are rendered at a similar level to my ears.

I think the general consensus is that as you go up in price, technical capability likewise increases - maybe not linearly, but there's a correlation!

Agreed that the Ara has better detailing and resolution than the Nio. It's a decent pick at that price if all you care about is technical proficiency. However, it has an issue (to my ears) in which the macrodynamics skew downwards and you get that same transient compression in the midrange that the Andro 2020 has. I think that's probably to account for why you enjoy Nio more, and it's the same case for me. The tonality of the Ara, as you noted, is also not the most desirable.

Great points! Agreed that the Andro 2020 has better perceived detail retrieval as a result of the note resolution - it does also display an airiness that the Nio doesn't. I think regarding price and technical capability, there are quite a few exceptions to the rule even if there is a linear, curvilinear or even logarithmic relationship. It would be interesting if 'technicalities' could be measured as a single entity - even though low distortion is just one part of it. That way, like in statistics an r value correlation coefficient could be calculated to see if this relationship has a strong, moderate, weak or even no correlation. Yes agreed with regards to the Ara - for me it was the timbre rather than any compression that limited my enjoyment of it. The Nio, on the other hand, is capturing a lot of listening time :)

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #14,115 of 23,560
Nice post - yes I agree that the KSE1200 and Fourte do have some form of weaknesses (The KSE1200 for its arguably lack of coloration/emotive tone and the Fourte for the slightly incoherent upper midrange). The 64 Audio U18t - I can not think of any glaring weaknesses.

Yup. The U18t is boringly perfect :D I have the Fourte Noir and yeah, sometimes I listen to them when I want more musicality, but the u18t sorta ruined IEMs for me. I have the Eletech Iliad cable and the SP2000SS -- the Iliad is, to me, the perfect cable for u18t. More visceral growl, bigger soundstage -- yet nothing compromised, the same sound, just 15% better, like a perfect cable should do. The question is, though...

Is there anything out there, IEM-wise, worth even looking into after the u18t / Iliad combo? The Odin looks pretty but I'm sorta meh on whole electrostatic tweeters thing. Seems like too close to u18t but not as perfectly balanced. Only the Thummim has piqued my interest as being possibly superior -- but it's too expensive to try out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back