The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 15, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #12,646 of 23,560
Has anyone else tried EE’s offerings and found they create pressure in the ears? I’m not sure if I’m wearing them wrong but I haven’t had that issue with 64 Audio or campfire’s offerings. I also have some Eustachian tube issues that act up occasionally so perhaps that is why, but I’ve never had an issue with 64 Audio’s stuff.

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #12,647 of 23,560
Has anyone else tried EE’s offerings and found they create pressure in the ears? I’m not sure if I’m wearing them wrong but I haven’t had that issue with 64 Audio or campfire’s offerings. I also have some Eustachian tube issues that act up occasionally so perhaps that is why, but I’ve never had an issue with 64 Audio’s stuff.
The likely answer is that 64 iems have apex pressure relief technology while EE iems don't (though some of their older iems did).

Though campfire iems don't have pressure relief technology either, so it might also be how they fit. If the fit is too too good, can cause some pressure buildup.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #12,648 of 23,560
I experience this pressure with acrylic/resin/plastic bodied IEMs. I find I can only achieve a full seal with these materials. You can alleviate some of this pressure by pulling on the tips of your ears or earlobes.

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #12,649 of 23,560
The likely answer is that 64 iems have apex pressure relief technology while EE iems don't (though some of their older iems did).

Though campfire iems don't have pressure relief technology either, so it might also be how they fit. If the fit is too too good, can cause some pressure buildup.
Apex is why. It's the reason I can't use any other IEMs for more than an hour or so without my tinnitus flaring up. No doubt EE and others make great IEMs. But if I can't use them for more than an hour at a time or have to dial the volume right down not to further damage my hearing, there's no point using them. Pressure relief should be mandatory for IEMs IMO.

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #12,650 of 23,560
Apex is why. It's the reason I can't use any other IEMs for more than an hour or so without my tinnitus flaring up. No doubt EE and others make great IEMs. But if I can't use them for more than an hour at a time or have to dial the volume right down not to further damage my hearing, there's no point using them. Pressure relief should be mandatory for IEMs IMO.
Word

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #12,651 of 23,560
Same

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #12,652 of 23,560
RME ADI-2 Pro at $1600 or ADI-2 DAC at $900 is one of the best choices one can make in pro audio or audiophile worlds under $3000. But these are meant for desktop use - although, technically, you can stack and power it with a USB powerbank inside the backpack. RME Babyface Pro FS is an equally great option at $700, if you want something more portable - it comes with no battery, draws power from laptop or phone however; and sports XLR/TRS inputs for recording audio too, if you wish; and certainly not for dropping into jeans pocket while walking. It's time RME stepped outside pro world and did a truly portable and battery-powered DAC/Amp based on ADI-2 or Babyface circuits. And maybe add Bluetooth and SD card slot to the same. Sound Devices MixPre-3/6 -II and Sony PCM D-100, if you still want to exploit pro audio interfaces+recorders+players for portable audiophile use with added burden of batteries. All these come with super neutral sound signatures, super pristine quality preamps for external microphones and very powerful amps for headphones/IEMs. Nay, wanna remain in audiophile world using only truly portable audiophile products on the go? Dozens of options as you can see around here. Cayin N3 Pro at $500 is a very good option as estimated with specs and by the proven success of N8, it's bigger brother with similar specs, to replace your Mojo stack. Both tube/solid state 3.5mm and solid state 4.4mm offer great amount of power for such a small device and completely sufficient for most IEMs including your U12t and full-size dynamic headphones. If you still want more power, there a few new DAC/Amps or DAPs with 1W or more outputs at 3.5mm.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

It doesn't have to be portable as I can keep my Q1 for that.

Next consideration is if a combined DAP around the same price as the Mojo can be as good as the Mojo - granted the Mojo is not as young as it was and technology improves.

My Mojo is powered so inessence desktop mode, and IEMs only so dont need the high power for big cans.

Have read alot about the ADI-2 (£900ish here in the UK) and the quality of the 3.5mm output for IEM impediance.

Shame I can't demo..

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #12,653 of 23,560
Are you talking universals or custom? If universal try going down a tip size.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #12,654 of 23,560
Ok thanks all, I’ll give that a shot. I’m using a legend x universal. I also have some fit issues with EE oddly, I think it’s because the nozzle isn’t as long. But I’ll tinker around with them. Personally I marvel at the bass on the LX but it’s too much, it makes the stage too congested for me. But I would nonetheless like to troubleshoot the fit issues since I’m intrigued to try the hero down the road.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #12,655 of 23,560

Not quite sure but my Andro MW10 is actually more comfortable for longer listening session than the U12T. This has to do with many other factors though like insertion depth, weight of the IEM, nozzle thickness, sound signature (I deduce bassier ones are more fatiguing to the ear drums), size of IEM, ear tips used, cable weight and stiffness, etc. But for sure, the Apex is amazing and beats the comfort of 95% of the IEMs I’ve owned. Not sure why more companies don’t implement it.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #12,656 of 23,560
Listened to The Very Best of Bonnie Tyler with my A12t. It was the first time I used it in a while. It sounds great, but seems to get neglected. I am thinking it is because it takes longer to get it in and out of the case.

Aug 16, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #12,657 of 23,560
Not quite sure but my Andro MW10 is actually more comfortable for longer listening session than the U12T. This has to do with many other factors though like insertion depth, weight of the IEM, nozzle thickness, sound signature (I deduce bassier ones are more fatiguing to the ear drums), size of IEM, ear tips used, cable weight and stiffness, etc. But for sure, the Apex is amazing and beats the comfort of 95% of the IEMs I’ve owned. Not sure why more companies don’t implement it.

Yeah this is probably just an issue related to my ears, but I just listened to the legend x for around 45 minutes - blade runner soundtrack, which is pretty incredible with these. When done my ears hurt and felt totally plugged, and I tried smaller tips. I guess EE might not be for me unfortunately, so it goes. I still find it odd because my ear issues are fairly minor, I only really notice it when I ski (and take mucinex D to ward off the symptoms when I go up and down the mountain). I've never had an issue with other IEMs.

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #12,658 of 23,560
Thanks for the detailed reply.

It doesn't have to be portable as I can keep my Q1 for that.

Next consideration is if a combined DAP around the same price as the Mojo can be as good as the Mojo - granted the Mojo is not as young as it was and technology improves.

My Mojo is powered so inessence desktop mode, and IEMs only so dont need the high power for big cans.

Have read alot about the ADI-2 (£900ish here in the UK) and the quality of the 3.5mm output for IEM impediance.

Shame I can't demo..

RME ADI-2 DAC's design and performance and it's dedicated IEM port won many hearts. Most RME products are steady fixtures in thousands of pro recording studios across the world. All the EQ and DSPs and input/output options, jitter management, LCD display at $900 and the warm reviews ADI-2 garnered make it a very good bet for a blind buy. But you can do a demo, if you wish, and there must be quite a few places in London to do so. Or you could check with the owners on RME thread or write to RME who are always helpful with even discounted prices. Surely a bang for buck for use with any 64 IEM or other at home. Not to mention the excellent resale value - each unit is built like a tank and command great interest in used goods market. Yes, comes with a remote controller too. $700 on HeadFi sale thread from UK here.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #12,659 of 23,560
Apex is no joke. I've put my A3, A6t and 2 u12t through 8+ hour sessions and no fatigue at all.

I've also taken to having my A3 in on flights for take off and landing, no pressure build up at all. Previously I would have pressure build up on landing that took a good half day to equalize, but with apex all good.

This is definitely something other OEMs should look at. Though I imagine if they had to license the tech to other companies, prices might jump a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back