The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 6, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #12,496 of 23,616
I am using the HiBy R6 Pro which puts out a lot of power. In the last 3 months I've tried 10 different high-end or highly-rated IEM's as follows:
64 Audio Tia Trio
Campfire Audio Solaris 2020
Empire Ears Legend X
I also use the R6 Pro, balanced, absolutely love it. Switched from an M11 which sounded too light and airy, without enough weight down low. I'm curious how you found the three IEMs above with the R6 Pro, especially the Trio but also the LX. What were the pros and cons of each, and how does the Nio 'better' them, if at all?

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #12,497 of 23,616
I also use the R6 Pro, balanced, absolutely love it. Switched from an M11 which sounded too light and airy, without enough weight down low. I'm curious how you found the three IEMs above with the R6 Pro, especially the Trio but also the LX. What were the pros and cons of each, and how does the Nio 'better' them, if at all?

Out of those 3 the Trio was the closest to winning out for me. The Solaris 2020 was great in most areas except the bass impact that I craved wasn't there. I always found myself wanting more bass on a lot of songs. It was great for mids and treble though. The Legend X had too much bass. It became fatiguing (and almost painful) after only a short while. It also could have used a little more mids forward signature as well or that could have been the bass taking over the mids a bit. They were also the least comfortable of the 3 for me. The Trio was really great and I was close to keeping those. It had the bass impact I wanted, the mids were forward enough for my tastes, but the treble got a little too hot and peaky for me. It wasn't overboard peaky as it never reached the painful stage like many others on my list. It was enough though to make me rethink spending that much money on an IEM that wasn't perfect for me.

Now it's still early, but I find the Nio might be a good blend of the Solaris 2020 and the Trio. I get the bass impact I liked in the Trio, but not so much of what I didn't like in the Legend X. I get the nice forward mids and never find myself searching for the vocals; similar to the Trio and more-so the Solaris 2020. Then I get that nice detailed treble, but I don't detect and peakiness in it. Similar to what I experience with the Solaris 2020 in terms of the treble. I listen to a lot of EDM, modern rock and some pop and so far the Nio is hitting on all cylinders for those genres for me.

One other note is that I am running these with the Dunu Hulk cable. Unfortunately the silver cable I got had the wrong plug so I have to swap that out which will take a few more days. I just don't like the feel of the 64 Audio stock cables and the Dunu Hulk has been great for me in the past. Once I get the right silver cable back I will have to see how that changes the sound.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #12,498 of 23,616
One other note is that I am running these with the Dunu Hulk cable. Unfortunately the silver cable I got had the wrong plug so I have to swap that out which will take a few more days. I just don't like the feel of the 64 Audio stock cables and the Dunu Hulk has been great for me in the past. Once I get the right silver cable back I will have to see how that changes the sound.
IIRC the Hulk is an all-copper cable, right? You'll probably find the silver cable adds better separation between instruments and opens up the mids and treble just a touch, without affecting the bass too much. Thanks for your summary of Trio and Solaris. I'm finding the same appeal with the Nio and the music I listen to, which ranges from classic rock to modern pop, female singer-songwriter, some EDM and cinematic music.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #12,499 of 23,616
A second Nio has just appeared on the classifieds. I didn’t think this would happen yet as I’m aware people are still waiting on orders.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #12,500 of 23,616
A second Nio has just appeared on the classifieds. I didn’t think this would happen yet as I’m aware people are still waiting on orders.
Par for the course. Everyone bought these blind, so I expect a small trickle will find their way to the classifieds.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #12,501 of 23,616
Par for the course. Everyone bought these blind, so I expect a small trickle will find their way to the classifieds.
If you notice, I’m also selling my KSE1500. I’m cleaning the house for budgetary reasons, and also because I’m barely mobile these days and have Susvara/ HE6/HEKV2 and HD800 serving me more time :)

If anyone wants my Nio’s, they’ve been babied :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 6, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #12,502 of 23,616
If you notice, I’m also selling my KSE1500. I’m cleaning the house for budgetary reasons, and also because I’m barely mobile these days and have Susvara/ HE6/HEKV2 and HD800 serving me more time :)

If anyone wants my Nio’s, they’ve been babied :)
No disrespect meant. I guess I just didn’t expect to see Nio’s up for sale yet simply as they are still in the initial order phase for a number of people. Yours look mint and I expect that you’ll sell them pretty quickly.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #12,503 of 23,616
Spiral Dot++ with the Trio
I like Azla sedna shorts a lot. Azla XELASTEC are great too.

Guys,

A little help please. So I did a little AB testing with my u12t and Shure 846. The u12t are more spacious, airy with better seperation, but it isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the 846s in my opinion. Even in detail, I find the u12t's sharper but not massively more detailed.

However, the 846s fit in my ear like a glove and I'm currently using the medium size stock foam tips from the box. I've tried the other sizes but the mediums are the lesser of all evils. Partly because the u12t's nozzle is pretty thick.

I've also (as recommended here) ordered three sizes on the XELASTEC tips (m, m/l and L). The only concern is that the nozzle may be too thick for it to fit - have you guys had the same issue? I didn't get an option for different insert sizes...

I've always preferred foam to silicone but can't seem to get a real snug fir...

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #12,504 of 23,616
Thanks - this helps. Have you any experience with the Eros II from effect audio?

I tried some cables too:

64 audio premium cable: it sounds pretty good actually
CEMA's 175: meh
The PW Audio cable that came with my Hyla TE-5B: good! Close to the 64 audio premium cable
CEMA's super copper: not bad, but less good than the 64 audio premium cable and the PW Audio cable
Penon audio Leo Plus: now we have something! Sure it's silver, but it just "opens" the sound in all direction while adding a touch of bass, detail, etc. Recommended!

I'm still searching for the "perfect" cable for the U12t and now that Forza Audio Works Hybrid IEM cable got my attention. Question is, is it better than the cables I already own?

Also, you should test with tips. It's really hard for me to get a good fit (i.e: getting a deep enough insertion with a good seal while keeping the IEMs in place). I tip rolled a lot before getting the AZLA Sedna's and for now, they are the best I tried. They make my U12T sound best. I ordered the Xelastec today as I am curious to see how they compare.

Hope that helps!

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #12,505 of 23,616
Guys,

A little help please. So I did a little AB testing with my u12t and Shure 846. The u12t are more spacious, airy with better seperation, but it isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the 846s in my opinion. Even in detail, I find the u12t's sharper but not massively more detailed.

However, the 846s fit in my ear like a glove and I'm currently using the medium size stock foam tips from the box. I've tried the other sizes but the mediums are the lesser of all evils. Partly because the u12t's nozzle is pretty thick.

I've also (as recommended here) ordered three sizes on the XELASTEC tips (m, m/l and L). The only concern is that the nozzle may be too thick for it to fit - have you guys had the same issue? I didn't get an option for different insert sizes...

I've always preferred foam to silicone but can't seem to get a real snug fir...

U12t is a nice full BA. SE846 sound is not too bad too for me. I would say they are in different price/performance category. It is cheaper doesn’t mean it is bad.

846 has smaller diameter nozzle and ergonomic shell, so it also fits better for me compared to 64 with thicker nozzle.

Like everyone here, I have tried many of the popular branded tips on my Trio (Azla, Spinfits, JVC SD/++, etc). Recently I’ve tried ePro horn-shaped tips and they’re ok, but my go-to tips is still the stock tips and Symbio/JVC tips for best fit and sound from my Trio according to my preference. Still I find the fit and comfort better on other smaller iems. 64 shell/fit is not too bad but could be improved imo.

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #12,506 of 23,616
U12t is a nice full BA. SE846 sound is not too bad too for me. I would say they are in different price/performance category. It is cheaper doesn’t mean it is bad.

846 has smaller diameter nozzle and ergonomic shell, so it also fits better for me compared to 64 with thicker nozzle.

Like everyone here, I have tried many of the popular branded tips on my Trio (Azla, Spinfits, JVC SD/++, etc). Recently I’ve tried ePro horn-shaped tips and they’re ok, but my go-to tips is still the stock tips and Symbio/JVC tips for best fit and sound from my Trio according to my preference. Still I find the fit and comfort better on other smaller iems. 64 shell/fit is not too bad but could be improved imo.

I use stock tips with my Tia Trio. They just seem to feel more comfortable to me and give me good sound.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #12,507 of 23,616
I use stock tips with my Tia Trio. They just seem to feel more comfortable to me and give me good sound.

Me too they are comfortable. They sound good too but am looking to open up the clarity/brightness a little more. I can’t find any third party tips with similar width/height and stem length like the stock. I want tip that fit the nozzle right next to the top of the tip, just like the stock tip. Tia driver is so good I don’t want any blockage or reflections that may change the direct sound from the high driver.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #12,508 of 23,616
Also, you should test with tips. It's really hard for me to get a good fit (i.e: getting a deep enough insertion with a good seal while keeping the IEMs in place).

Agree 100% on testing tips. In my experience they can literally make or break whether you enjoy an IEM or not.

What this also highlights though is another factor of why people perceive things so differently even with the same IEM and tips - insertion. I prefer it when the tip is a little past the opening to the ear canal, for both seal and stability.

Some prefer a deeper insertion (or may require it due to their ear anatomy), while others prefer a shallow fit where the tip forms a seal against the canal opening - picture a large boulder blocking entry to a cave.

I think this can have a significant impact on the perception of the sound, despite it just being small differences in distance between drive and eardrum. It affects the way treble reaches the eardrum (direct vs indirect), the way bass waves react (like altering the volume of a sealed subwoofer). And in certain IEMs like those with tia, they’re specifically designed to fire straight at the eardrum to yield the best results.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #12,509 of 23,616
Me too they are comfortable. They sound good too but am looking to open up the clarity/brightness a little more. I can’t find any third party tips with similar width/height and stem length like the stock. I want tip that fit the nozzle right next to the top of the tip, just like the stock tip. Tia driver is so good I don’t want any blockage or reflections that may change the direct sound from the high driver.
I highly recommend using spiral dots ++

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #12,510 of 23,616
I highly recommend using spiral dots ++
If JVC made Spiral Dots with the stem length of the Sedna EarFit, so that the Nio nozzle doesn't sit flush with the tip opening (which by the way negates all the benefits of having the dots inside the eartip), that would be the perfect eartip. I'd by a few pairs and be done. Right now the Xelastec tips are my go-to because they leave a small gap between tip and nozzle and seal perfectly with a shallow insert, which is much more comfortable for me. They also happen to be the most comfortable of all the tips I've tried, but being heat activated it takes a minute or so to 'warm them up'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back