The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 5, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #12,466 of 23,562
jeez...

at least TRY your iems, boys!

imagine if you each both prefer the one you haven’t listened to...

OK, you've shamed me. I'm listening to the Nio for the first time. I need to acclimate. M20 too boomy. M15 is OK for now. Also have Fir audio atom-xl box sitting on my shelf for later.

The Sedna XElastec which worked great for me on the Trio seems too dark on the Nio. Acoustune AET07 tips sound better. At this point, if I could only keep one it would be the Trio. Surprise, right? I need to break the DD in and acclimate for a few days. Does anyone know the input impedance of the Nio?

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #12,467 of 23,562
OK, you've shamed me. I'm listening to the Nio for the first time. I need to acclimate. M20 too boomy. M15 is OK for now. Also have Fir audio atom-xl box sitting on my shelf for later.

The Sedna XElastec which worked great for me on the Trio seems too dark on the Nio. Acoustune AET07 tips sound better. At this point, if I could only keep one it would be the Trio. Surprise, right? I need to break the DD in and acclimate for a few days. Does anyone know the input impedance of the Nio?
Nio is 6ohms OI but also has LiD, so won't really be affected by source output variations. You should burn in the Nio for about 100h before the DD bass settles, and in my experience it settles quite substantially. Also, brain burn-in is important if you're going to compare the Nio to a 'brighter' IEM like Trio. You probably won't find the M15 too boomy after burn-in. I find the Xelastec tips brighter (or at least more energetic) than the regular Sedna tips on the Nio.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #12,468 of 23,562
I concur; I wasn’t happy with the Nio out of the box (in direct comparison to my U12t) but it changed quite substantially - for the better - with burn in.

I prefer it now with the M15. For me it loses a bit of soul with the FIR.

Aug 5, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #12,469 of 23,562

Do the burn in on both Trio and Nio as suggested. Then let us know how the two compare, and what your overall thoughts are on the two.

Aug 5, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #12,470 of 23,562
Yes it has. I will be driving to the EE studio to hear the Odin and Hero before purchasing. I also decided it was time for a new car so I dropped a few dollars on a down payment.
I really wonder how the Hero will sound in comparison to the Neo.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #12,475 of 23,562
I’m really really tempted by the Hero. Wonder how it compares to Trio too.

You buy , listen , compare then sale. There comparison complete haha

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #12,478 of 23,562
I'm in the process of a 100 hour burn in for the Nio. So far, I'm a little disappointed, but it's my fault for getting the Trio at the same time and listening to it first. The Trio really brings a new first class unique listen to my collection.

The Nio, at this point, reminds me of the signature of the SE846. It's good, but doesn't bring anything new to my collection. I'll finish the burn in and try mixing up tips, sources and cables.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #12,479 of 23,562
I'm in the process of a 100 hour burn in for the Nio. So far, I'm a little disappointed, but it's my fault for getting the Trio at the same time and listening to it first. The Trio really brings a new first class unique listen to my collection.

The Nio, at this point, reminds me of the signature of the SE846. It's good, but doesn't bring anything new to my collection. I'll finish the burn in and try mixing up tips, sources and cables.

I still have the SE846. It’s good but Trio is in a different and higher sound class. Hoping the store will have the Nio demo soon, so I can compare all three Nio, U12t and Trio together.

Do update us if any additional findings.

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #12,480 of 23,562
For anyone who is interested, there is a Nio for sale on the classifieds here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back