The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 4, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #12,436 of 23,496
The above remarks around the Nio are one reason I am personally not too big a fan of the FIR O. It brings the mids and treble forward quite a bit - not aggressive or sibiliant, but markedly more in-your-face than with the M15. The uptick in volume necessitated by the reduction in bass (to get the kick) combined with that forwardness is a little fatiguing.

So volume needs to be up to get the kick with O module; and volume needs to be up to hear some of the detail with the M15. Hence my personal view is that it is indeed a higher-volume IEM. It still sounds great at lower volume but not its best.

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #12,437 of 23,496
The above remarks around the Nio are one reason I am personally not too big a fan of the FIR O. It brings the mids and treble forward quite a bit - not aggressive or sibiliant, but markedly more in-your-face than with the M15. The uptick in volume necessitated by the reduction in bass (to get the kick) combined with that forwardness is a little fatiguing.

So volume needs to be up to get the kick with O module; and volume needs to be up to hear some of the detail with the M15. Hence my personal view is that it is indeed a higher-volume IEM. It still sounds great at lower volume but not its best.
The one corollary is if you don't need ALL the details and just enjoy the kick with a still-very-detailed but smooth and organic presentation, then low volume just about works on Nio. This is especially so with Xelastec, which seem to focus the upper FR details even more than regular Sednas.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #12,438 of 23,496
HFN just put out the review of the newly released Odin flagship https://www.headfonia.com/empire-ears-odin-review/

From what’s described, it seems to have similar sound signature to Trio. Just guessing tho without actually listened yet. Will be interesting to read more comparison.

Driver flex hmmm... I don’t remember hearing any hybrids from 64 with DD having driver flex (at least not on my Trio).

Also surprised it’s very source dependent. Glad we have LID at least :)

The stock cable EE provides is very nice, 64 need to step up.

Ps: @Vitaly2017 your tiger Noir is in the comparison :L3000:

I think Alex's review is better and it does not make mention of it being so source dependent like the headfonia review. Does the Headfonia Nio review ring any bells?

https://twister6.com/2020/08/03/empire-ears-odin/

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #12,439 of 23,496
I think Alex's review is better and it does not make mention of it being so source dependent like the headfonia review. Does the Headfonia Nio review ring any bells?

Lol it does, thankful for impressions rather than basing it off just that review. Both reviews for the Odin allude to a possibly decisive mid range; slightly recessed according to headphonia and a bit dry/cold/ but layered and reference-y according to Twister. I am also very surprised Alex says that the LX is airier on treble? I was really looking for a sparkly treble to complement it, so thankfully that should save me some money by waiting off on Odin :)

I might have to either revisit the IER Z1R or maybe try the Noir or Elysium to scratch that itch.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #12,440 of 23,496

Yeah, great review and a nice read from @twister6 too.

Of coz reviews are subjective but can be helpful as well, good or bad. At least we know what others saying. Ultimately, best to listen with own ears if possible :)

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #12,442 of 23,496
So I'm really loving my new Trio. Let me begin by saying I'm not a big believer in cables ... at least that's my official story. But I think I can hear the highs muted when going from a silver or spc cable to pure copper. So maybe I am a believer. Regardless ...

My objective is to get a 4.4mm balanced connector onto the end of the standard included 3.5 mm 64Audio "premium standard cable" that is included with the Trio. I tried putting on an extremely inexpensive 4.4mm 2 pin cable I had sitting around (Linsoul Tripowin Zonie). It sounded fine but I thought a bit of the treble bite was diminished. Though some might like that, I think that is the forte of the Trio.

I would prefer to buy a relatively inexpensive quality SPC cable with nice angled 2-pin connections. But I'm not willing to spend over $100 for a cable. I'm also able to cut off the 3.5mm connector and solder on my own 4.4mm, though I prefer keeping the original cable as is for possible resale.

Does anyone have any suggestions given my conditions?

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #12,443 of 23,496
So I'm really loving my new Trio. Let me begin by saying I'm not a big believer in cables ... at least that's my official story. But I think I can hear the highs muted when going from a silver or spc cable to pure copper. So maybe I am a believer. Regardless ...

My objective is to get a 4.4mm balanced connector onto the end of the standard included 3.5 mm 64Audio "premium standard cable" that is included with the Trio. I tried putting on an extremely inexpensive 4.4mm 2 pin cable I had sitting around (Linsoul Tripowin Zonie). It sounded fine but I thought a bit of the treble bite was diminished. Though some might like that, I think that is the forte of the Trio.

I would prefer to buy a relatively inexpensive quality SPC cable with nice angled 2-pin connections. But I'm not willing to spend over $100 for a cable. I'm also able to cut off the 3.5mm connector and solder on my own 4.4mm, though I prefer keeping the original cable as is for possible resale.

Moon audio has high quality cables

Premium 64a cable

Or Fir audio can make you one

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #12,444 of 23,496

Did u not order the silver cable with 2.5mm termination? With that, u can at least use a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter.

Imo if u buy < $100 cable u might as well save the money and just use the stock cable as is or re-terminate it.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #12,445 of 23,496

Dunu duw 02... Though it doesn't have the angled 2 pin connectors.

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #12,447 of 23,496
Well my Nios arrived from headtek.de in Germany today and I must say that I'm very pleased with them!

They're smaller than I expected, hence very comfortable and as the feedback here says, they sound awesome, combining and outperforming (as you'd expect) both of the best bits of my s8pro's (top end detail/comfort) and acscustom emotions (bottom end).

Wonderfull stuff. No buyers remorse here!

Great thread.

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #12,448 of 23,496

Check out those two threads about bang-for-buck cables.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/ (you will see their favourites are from CEMA a.k.a. Electro Acousti on Aliexpress)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mid...sg-silver-plated-copper-with-graphene.927268/ (here DsNuts will probably recommend you Penon OS849 for SPC, which is 8-core and is miles ahead of the standard SPC, just not as comfortable as say some 4-core from CEMA above).

Overall I've tried both brands and think their cables leave the only thing I like in the 64audio cable being that it is thin and light.

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #12,449 of 23,496
Aug 4, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #12,450 of 23,496

I didn't used to believe in cables, either. I'm still not much "into" cables, but I believe I have heard a difference now. Somehow I damaged the original cable which came with my Trio (I think I shut it in the 64Audio case, which I no longer use). I tried some generic cables I borrowed from a friend: 8-core copper, 4-core silver (actually, that was mine), some SPC and maybe a couple of others. Each of the generics, and the name-brand silver I have, left something out of the Trio presentation. So I ended up buying another standard cable from 64Audio. I wanted a 2.5mm TRRS plug, but was unwilling to pay the extra to get the upgrade. So I am at this moment listening happily to Pat Metheny with my Trio from the SE output of my A&K player.

I've thought of reterminating a cable with the connector of my choice, but my close focus doesn't do that small stuff well anymore, and I worry I'd cross the wires and either short a driver or connect reverse phase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back