The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 2, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #12,361 of 23,560
Doubling down on this after listening to the Nio more - i feel like the Fir Atom module kit is a must buy if you're already spending that much on the Nio. At least the N- and O - my 2 favorite of all the 64 and Fir options. Even with the N15 the bass is a little boomy, the other 2 clean it up a lot for me. More detailed too

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #12,362 of 23,560
Doubling down on this after listening to the Nio more - i feel like the Fir Atom module kit is a must buy if you're already spending that much on the Nio. At least the N- and O - my 2 favorite of all the 64 and Fir options. Even with the N15 the bass is a little boomy, the other 2 clean it up a lot for me. More detailed too
where do you got that set from ?

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #12,364 of 23,560
Looks like I'm going to have to try the ePros too. I agree the Sednas are a bit stiff, and I can feel they leave a light bruising in my ear after a long listen, but the S size at least fits and grips and isn't uncomfortable. Are the ePro stems as long as the Sednas? Not keen on having the Nio nozzle too close to the opening of the eartip.
I dont know the exact length of the stem and im honestly too lazy to go check right now. But these tips are long enough and sticky enough on the steam of the nio so that you can position them with plenty of length between the end of the stem and the end of the tip.

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #12,365 of 23,560
I have a Fir 0 on the way. Hoping it doesn't neuter the bass too much. I didn't order the N- thinking it's not different enough from the M15 (which I only find boomy on a small handful of tracks with a boomy bassline already in the mix - otherwise it's perfect). I'll be switching between Fir 0, M15 and M20 and coming back here with feedback later this week.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #12,366 of 23,560
I have a Fir 0 on the way. Hoping it doesn't neuter the bass too much. I didn't order the N- thinking it's not different enough from the M15 (which I only find boomy on a small handful of tracks with a boomy bassline already in the mix - otherwise it's perfect). I'll be switching between Fir 0, M15 and M20 and coming back here with feedback later this week.
Sounds good, ill be curious to see what you think. I prefer a good amount of DD subbass focus. The O is basically a neutral amount to me, then the N- is a notch above. I definitely like even more bass, but the quality suffers to me on the N15 and above. Mine might need more burn in but I'm sure you'll like the O as a cleaner/neutral option

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #12,367 of 23,560
I tried @Titienne ’s Fir O and it sounds tonally closer to the M15 than it does the MX.
We had the luxury of comparing with Z1R and it quickly confirmed it is a better technical performer than Nio. M15 sounds most like a Z1R but with smoothed off upper treble, and more bass quantity (yes, can confirm).

Fir O sounds tonally the most musical with still pretty heavy bass. Sadly, I find the sub bass rolls off more akin to the MX, but midbass stays similar to M15.

Ironically, despite the MX kind of rolling off bass quickly below 60hz, it’s by far my preferred module as it opens up the Nio and gives it the most articulation and “neutral- forward” midrange. Thing is, it makes Nio sound more monitor-like, and less musical than what I think everyone expects of Nio... and it turns out I really like that more. It’s nothing like a Z1R at this point, but more like a U12T/ M9 hybrid.

Note I’m coming from KSE1500/ IER-M9 and also EX1000/ Andro S and much prefer a traditional hi-fi/ linear tuning.

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 2, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #12,369 of 23,560
Awaiting @Titienne and his Nio impressions.
He left them in this thread yesterday! I think he comes away impressed but moderately disappointed because expectations were very high :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 2, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #12,371 of 23,560
Anyone have any clue what type of eartips these are? So far they’re hands down the best paired up with M15!
583FDE3A-FC56-4DB2-996E-2A539B98B37A.jpeg
2AF36E13-3CDB-4D6D-B3D4-3ACE26D6FDEC.jpeg

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #12,372 of 23,560
Awaiting @Titienne and his Nio impressions.
Wonder what there was for him to be disappointed about, he seemed pleased enough to still be happy to own them soon. To each is own though.
I left them a few pages back (821 I think) indeed. I even compared them to the Z1R! Overall, I liked the Nio a lot, but only at a higher volume than what I usually listen to, so I will probably end up selling them right when they arrive. If you're a low volume listener like me, you'll find that the Nio is overall very dark and resolution isn't all that great. I tried all the stock modules and also had my own FiR module O, and if you're a low volume listener, I'd recommend the MX, otherwise the module O.

I honestly think I'm a minority (60-70 dB gang) and most people will enjoy the Nio very much. It's a great all rounder for sure and I could see myself getting a used one down the road, but I will just enjoy my Andro 2020 for the time being.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #12,373 of 23,560
I left them a few pages back indeed (also compared them to the Z1R) ! Overall, I liked the Nio a lot, but only at a higher volume than what I usually listen to, so I will probably end up selling them right when they arrive. If you're a low volume listener like me, you'll find that the Nio is overall very dark and resolution isn't all that great. I tried all the stock modules and also had my own FiR module O, and if you're a low volume listener, I'd recommend the MX, otherwise the module O.

I honestly think I'm a minority (60-70 dB gang) and most people will enjoy the Nio very much. It's a great all rounder for sure and I could see myself getting a used one down the road, but I will just enjoy my Andro 2020 for the time being.
I love the Andro 2020 I just received. Big improvement over the previous.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #12,374 of 23,560
Anyone have any clue what type of eartips these are? So far they’re hands down the best paired up with M15!
583FDE3A-FC56-4DB2-996E-2A539B98B37A.jpeg2AF36E13-3CDB-4D6D-B3D4-3ACE26D6FDEC.jpeg

Can you flip the cap part of the tips up, to take a closer look where the inner tube attaches to the cap? It could be either SpinFit or some other generic no-brand eartips. A bit hard to tell, but I'm leaning more toward generic tips, maybe like these from Penon, though a different color combo. Btw, I have been using these penon $4 per 3pairs eartips, and they are actually pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back