The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 2, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #12,346 of 23,560
Nio would be my rec for you. Adjustability with the modules can help give you additional voicings depending on what tracks you have on and what sound tweaks you're looking for on the song.

Serj Tankien - Sky is over

Beautiful seperation of instruments and vocals on the Nio. Great kicks and slam but with beautiful vocals.
All his stuff is amazingly done on the Nio, there's even on song I can't remember the name of right now, it's on the same album I believe. But it's mixed to present the sound as if you were sitting in the drummers chair listening to the band playing the song. You hear the cymbals of the drum panning from left to right around you, Toms and snare and kick is right in the center and all other instruments and vocals are out forward Infront of you from left to right. You're literally getting the song mixed from the perspective of sitting in the drummers chair. I never knew the song was mixed like that till Nio.

Jinjer- Pisces Live - beautiful presentation. Not quite ethereal vocals. She remains on this plane of existence but flowing around you. And whenever she screams you get her grit in your throat. Especially the end of the song when she lets it rip going back and forth between her growling and clean voice.
- Also, the reggae song is great. Low and and kicks on Nio are just perfectly done for Metal and heavy rock. While still giving you amazing seperation of all instruments and sounds.

I could go on with more that I've heard but it'd be much more writing. I rec Nio over Trio. Versatility and price being key reasons. Especially for Metal. It's already being touted as either close to Trio, on par, or possibly better and it's barely been out and barely recieved by most buyers, so even more of an indicator and I'm sure when more people get Nio and start cable rolling it you'll see even more reports of how good it can get.
I agree with what you say, but I think you'd be missing a bit of treble with the Nio if you listened exclusively to metal. Sure, you get that great bass and lower mid range for guitars, but high hats aren't that exciting. I would still rec the Nio over the Trio, but I would probably recommend another IEM to complement the Nio (Andro 2020 comes to mind for its fast BA bass and extended treble).

Nice to see another Jinjer fan! Pisces isn't my favorite song from them, but they're awesome regardless. Best concerts (saw them 3 times) I ever attended to!

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #12,347 of 23,560
Just to share this special tips called ePro. They are horn-shaped tips that work similar in concept like a horn loaded speaker that transfers acoustic energy more efficiently. Best part is their stem is long, narrow, very soft and flexible. They may be helpful (due to narrow tighter stem) with fitting and securing tips to some 64A nozzles that could be too slippery. They can also be used to adjust and vary how close the nozzle to the tip opening if needed. Because the stem is flexible, the tips can be fitted as normal or adjusted as required, even making the nozzle flush to the tip opening by squeezing the flexible stem into the shell part of the nozzle (of cos will lose the horn effect this way). U could also cut and customize the length of the stem if needed. Finally, they are very comfortable due to the thin silicone and they seal very well too (do not require shoving into the ear like normal tips). They are not very expensive, u can give them a try if they helps.

13D818C6-DE6D-431F-B429-0DD28C8D4D2A.jpeg

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #12,348 of 23,560
Just to share this special tips called ePro. They are horn-shaped tips that work similar in concept like a horn loaded speaker that transfers acoustic energy more efficiently. Best part is their stem is long, narrow, very soft and flexible. They may be helpful (due to narrow tighter stem) with fitting and securing tips to some 64A nozzles that could be too slippery. They can also be used to adjust and vary how close the nozzle to the tip opening if needed. Because the stem is flexible, the tips can be fitted as normal or adjusted as required, even making the nozzle flush to the tip opening by squeezing the flexible stem into the shell part of the nozzle (of cos will lose the horn effect this way). U could also cut and customize the length of the stem if needed. Finally, they are very comfortable due to the thin silicone and they seal very well too (do not require shoving into the ear like normal tips). They are not very expensive, u can give them a try if they helps.

13D818C6-DE6D-431F-B429-0DD28C8D4D2A.jpeg
These look very interesting. What is that extruded nozzle, is that the 'horn'? Does it extend past the tip and into your ear canal, like a tentacle? The website/Amazon doesn't exactly say how it works.

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #12,349 of 23,560
For those that have heard both - a question about the “kick” (as discussed earlier this weekend) on Nio vs Trio.

All other elements of the sound aside, how would you compare their respective abilities to sound realistic in terms of the bass kick (quantity, quality, speed, etc.)?

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #12,350 of 23,560
Nio would be my rec for you. Adjustability with the modules can help give you additional voicings depending on what tracks you have on and what sound tweaks you're looking for on the song.

Serj Tankien - Sky is over

Beautiful seperation of instruments and vocals on the Nio. Great kicks and slam but with beautiful vocals.
All his stuff is amazingly done on the Nio, there's even on song I can't remember the name of right now, it's on the same album I believe. But it's mixed to present the sound as if you were sitting in the drummers chair listening to the band playing the song. You hear the cymbals of the drum panning from left to right around you, Toms and snare and kick is right in the center and all other instruments and vocals are out forward Infront of you from left to right. You're literally getting the song mixed from the perspective of sitting in the drummers chair. I never knew the song was mixed like that till Nio.

Jinjer- Pisces Live - beautiful presentation. Not quite ethereal vocals. She remains on this plane of existence but flowing around you. And whenever she screams you get her grit in your throat. Especially the end of the song when she lets it rip going back and forth between her growling and clean voice.
- Also, the reggae song is great. Low and and kicks on Nio are just perfectly done for Metal and heavy rock. While still giving you amazing seperation of all instruments and sounds.

I could go on with more that I've heard but it'd be much more writing. I rec Nio over Trio. Versatility and price being key reasons. Especially for Metal. It's already being touted as either close to Trio, on par, or possibly better and it's barely been out and barely recieved by most buyers, so even more of an indicator and I'm sure when more people get Nio and start cable rolling it you'll see even more reports of how good it can get.

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated.

For those that have heard both - a question about the “kick” (as discussed earlier this weekend) on Nio vs Trio.

All other elements of the sound aside, how would you compare their respective abilities to sound realistic in terms of the bass kick (quantity, quality, speed, etc.)?

Also very interested with this. I think it has a lot to do with whether your bass pedals are triggered or not as well. You can listen to this on Tidal/Spotify, but I'm curious about how the Nio and Trio sound to everyone's ear re: bass kick with a drummer like this.

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #12,351 of 23,560
These look very interesting. What is that extruded nozzle, is that the 'horn'? Does it extend past the tip and into your ear canal, like a tentacle? The website/Amazon doesn't exactly say how it works.

Bro, the tip I shown is turned inside out to show the stem and length. U can actually see the stem is tapered like a horn shape. No way the nozzle can extended past the tip unless your nozzle is very very long. See https://www.eproaudios.com/ for more info.

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #12,353 of 23,560
Bro, the tip I shown is turned inside out to show the stem and length. U can actually see the stem is tapered like a horn shape. No way the nozzle can extended past the tip unless your nozzle is very very long. See https://www.eproaudios.com/ for more info.
Ah, I get it. They look like Final E tips with a slightly wider bore.

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #12,354 of 23,560
Ah, I get it. They look like Final E tips with a slightly wider bore.
The bore actually flares outward instead of being straight, sort of similar to azla sedna or spiral dot tips. Not similar at all to final e.

They are also very very soft material. When I first tried with the large size like I would normally use, they deformed and wouldn't seal, but lately I switched over to medium and have found an excellent seal and fit with them. Only other issue is that unlike a like of tips now that have for example, m, ml, and large, they just have small medium and large, so can't quite fine tune the fit.

But they are cheap and I have been enjoying mine for the last couple days on my nio.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #12,355 of 23,560
The bore actually flares outward instead of being straight, sort of similar to azla sedna or spiral dot tips. Not similar at all to final e.

They are also very very soft material. When I first tried with the large size like I would normally use, they deformed and wouldn't seal, but lately I switched over to medium and have found an excellent seal and fit with them. Only other issue is that unlike a like of tips now that have for example, m, ml, and large, they just have small medium and large, so can't quite fine tune the fit.

But they are cheap and I have been enjoying mine for the last couple days on my nio.
Ah yes I see that now. How do they compare to the Sednas on the Nio (getting Xelastec this week, currently using Sedna EarFit S)? Soft silicone is great, the softer the better. Spiral Dot++ are the softest I've felt so far.

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #12,357 of 23,560
Ah yes I see that now. How do they compare to the Sednas on the Nio (getting Xelastec this week, currently using Sedna EarFit S)? Soft silicone is great, the softer the better. Spiral Dot++ are the softest I've felt so far.
I've never been as a big a fan of the sednas as others, the material is too hard which usually means discomfort, even the lights are still a bit too stiff. The xelastec are fine and they seal incredibly well, but they will require way way more cleaning than other tips (except maybe foams which I don't use). The epro tips are I think softer than the spiral dot ++, though I mean that more in terms of flexibility rather than touch/feel. So the only issue there is that if a tip is too soft and flexible, if the fit isn't just right, it will deform and you will lose the seal completely which is what happened with the large tips for me.

Only tips I tried that were softer were earrbond hybrid tips. They were so soft that they deformed even from just pushing them in my ear. Couldn't get a seal at all with them.

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #12,358 of 23,560
Nio and Trio arrive tomorrow -- my first 64Audio experiences. My strategy will be to listen the *** out of the Trio before opening the Nio. This way I'm hoping for a "Oh WOW" experience followed by a "Oh WOW WOW" experience. At these dollar levels I cannot let myself be vulnerable to disappointment. :)
You wont be disappointed by either, believe me.

Aug 2, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #12,359 of 23,560

Both Nio and Trio have good thump for drums and other percussive instruments. Nio just does so with a bit more envelopment or warmth

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #12,360 of 23,560
I've never been as a big a fan of the sednas as others, the material is too hard which usually means discomfort, even the lights are still a bit too stiff. The xelastec are fine and they seal incredibly well, but they will require way way more cleaning than other tips (except maybe foams which I don't use). The epro tips are I think softer than the spiral dot ++, though I mean that more in terms of flexibility rather than touch/feel. So the only issue there is that if a tip is too soft and flexible, if the fit isn't just right, it will deform and you will lose the seal completely which is what happened with the large tips for me.

Only tips I tried that were softer were earrbond hybrid tips. They were so soft that they deformed even from just pushing them in my ear. Couldn't get a seal at all with them.
Looks like I'm going to have to try the ePros too. I agree the Sednas are a bit stiff, and I can feel they leave a light bruising in my ear after a long listen, but the S size at least fits and grips and isn't uncomfortable. Are the ePro stems as long as the Sednas? Not keen on having the Nio nozzle too close to the opening of the eartip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back