The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #11,251 of 23,603
Oh I see, I misunderstood. Mine came with the basic cable that comes with most of them. Such as u12t
Well the U12 comes with the premium cable (which is the nicer cable)....question is whether or not the Nio is meant to ship with the premium or professional.
I’ll let the group know what i hear from 64A unless someone hears before me...
If I get the professional I’ll be peeved (Even though I’ll have the silver premium as well)!

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #11,252 of 23,603
Well the U12 comes with the premium cable (which is the nicer cable)....question is whether or not the Nio is meant to ship with the premium or professional.
I’ll let the group know what i hear from 64A unless someone hears before me...
If I get the professional I’ll be peeved (Even though I’ll have the silver premium as well)!

All universals come with "Premium Cable" ($130) and all customs with "Professional Cable" ($40) despite the U or A versions being equally priced. I wonder why. What is it that professionals using customs don't need that pros or non-pros using universals badly need that warrants awarding premium version cable to only universal users?! Especially in the light of the fact that pros or non-pros seeking customs actually spend $200 more than universal users (pro or non-pro) on ear impressions and postage?! Product page offers the same copy+paste description for both Premium and Professional cables.

Premium 'Silver' Cable is another matter.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #11,253 of 23,603
True, UE is like, okay, this is all we have, you want it or not? :) Not that they should care what with IEMs being just a small part of all the audio they sell under UE name and UE itself being only a small part of the big Logitech empire. 64Audio, Nobel, VE and other CIEM guys are like speck-in-the-universe boutique mom-and-pop stores compared to big corporations. I noticed the same with fountain pens. Chi-fi and other eastern countries are becoming a growing threat to most revered and veteran manufacturers from German/UK/US/Japan. When a $500 pen and nib can be recreated for $10 without much loss in quality by mass manufacturers a trend that is forcing industry veterans to produce similar quality pens under $50, I wonder why not a behemoth like UE or other electronics company take a cue and get into wireless CIEM/UIEMs driving the cost per unit down to issue $100 IEMs that presently are selling for $2000 by boutique shops.

UE's lack of innovation as compared to that of the rest reminds me of this hilarious waitress scene in "Hell or High Water", one of the best films I watched in the last two years. There is that 'true Americana' feeling David Mackenzie treats the film with; much like the way Coen Brothers do every film of their's all the time. Some just know the soul of the land they live in inside out so well that even a random puking scene can tell which particular state that film is set in.

Maybe we need more Apples to take over 64Audio and like without throttling innovation after acquisition like they did with Beats by Dr.Dre.

That was great. I have to see this film. Tks.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #11,254 of 23,603
Didn't realize it, but yes, seems that Nio came stock with professional instead of premium cable in the box.

Both use identical silver plated copper wires, with everything else being different. Pro has 2pin connector mold that works with either recessed or non-recessed sockets, shrink wrapped y-split, clear tube chin-slider, and right angled 3.5mm only plug; the only option with Pro is either 48" or longer 64" wire length. Premium has more "premium" hardware with a nicer looking 2pin connector mold (with either recessed or non-recessed option), 64 audio branded y-split and plastic chin slider, and different plugs to choose from, 2.5mm or 3.5mm, while 4.4mm used to be available but temporary not an option.

The discrepancy is that under Premium cable it says that it is only available with 64 audio universal U12t, U18t, Trio, and Fourte. Nio is not listed in there. But under the Nio product listing, indeed it says 48" Premium cable, unless it was just a copy'n'paste error.

Premium on the left, Professional on the right:

1593739483283.png

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #11,255 of 23,603
That was great. I have to see this film. Tks.

Taylor Sheridan who wrote "Hell or High Water" (for David Mackenzie, the director) that is set in hot Texas went on to direct his own maiden film as director the following year -"The Wind River" that shares similar subject treatment but set in snowy Wyoming. An equally beautiful film you might want to consider watching, if you own an U18t or A18s - lot of airy and eerie sounds in an otherwise noiseless and deserted snow lands. Nio might be a better fit for "Hell or High Water" - a lot of wind and bassy automobiles and grunts and gun fire. I am doing my best to make film recommendations pass off as relevant matters in 64Audio thread. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #11,256 of 23,603
Didn't realize it, but yes, seems that Nio came stock with professional instead of premium cable in the box.

Both use identical silver plated copper wires, with everything else being different. Pro has 2pin connector mold that works with either recessed or non-recessed sockets, shrink wrapped y-split, clear tube chin-slider, and right angled 3.5mm only plug; the only option with Pro is either 48" or longer 64" wire length. Premium has more "premium" hardware with a nicer looking 2pin connector mold (with either recessed or non-recessed option), 64 audio branded y-split and plastic chin slider, and different plugs to choose from, 2.5mm or 3.5mm, while 4.4mm used to be available but temporary not an option.

The discrepancy is that under Premium cable it says that it is only available with 64 audio universal U12t, U18t, Trio, and Fourte. Nio is not listed in there. But under the Nio product listing, indeed it says 48" Premium cable, unless it was just a copy'n'paste error.

1593739483283.png
Yeah, what’s also strange is that bloom audio has the professional cable listed as coming with the Nio; Audio46 has the premium listed.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #11,257 of 23,603

Right. I have a sinking feeling that both Professional and Premium cables are exactly the same and made of same materials except for more robust 3.5mm connector plug and branded chin slider for premium version. And $100 extra is for premium cable users who offer free advertising through that branded chin-slider logo?! Fair business practices ought to be demanding a role reversal or price reversal: premium cable for $30+ (free advertising) and professional cable for $130+ (no advertising) when the wire material are the same. But then, I probably shouldn't bother - us HeadFiers who pay attention to details and unfair pricing are just a small fraction of the all buyers who just add to cart the pricier of the two thinking it's better. This feels like Jim Carrey doing an impression of James Stewart doing an impression of Jim Carrey on SNL's Joe Pesci show.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #11,258 of 23,603
Right. I have a sinking feeling that both Professional and Premium cables are exactly the same and made of same materials except for more robust 3.5mm connector plug and branded chin slider for professional version. And $100 extra is for professionals offering free advertising through that branded chin-slider logo?! Fair business practices ought to be demanding a role reversal and price reversal: professional cable for $30+ and premium cable for $130+. But then, I probably shouldn't bother - us HeadFiers who pay attention to details and unfair pricing are just a small fraction of the all buyers who just add to cart the pricier of the two thinking it's better. This feels like Jim Carrey doing an impression of James Stewart doing an impression of Jim Carrey on SNL's Joe Pesci show.
This was already confirmed. Premium and pro cables uses the exactly same wires. They only have new connectors and Y-split. Just looks fancier.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #11,260 of 23,603
Oh. Thank you. Pretty new to thread and 64. :)
Nah...don't worry about that, is not public advertised and not known by a lot of people. As you mentioned, doesn't make much sense to pay 100$ more for the same cable with a couple (not so fancy) different connectors (unless you need balanced connection)? But people still do that.

Comparing my Pro v. Premium cables, I feel the pro is more practical.

Anyway...I think the package should have what was advertised and people that are not getting what they paid for, should raise a hand to avoid future "quality relaxing". Even the guy that had discolouring of the IEM, this is brand new and should be investigated to avoid future problems. These are premium products and should have primium quality. (Speaking with an engineer mind)

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #11,262 of 23,603
IME quality control and attention to detail aren't as high up on the priority list at 64 Audio as sound quality and innovation (this filters through to their website and product packaging which has numerous typos, not just cut 'n paste errors). That's fine, if they weren't making high-end audiophile products with a premium price tag. I think working pros pay much less attention to small paint chips and cable splitters than us (fan)antics, so these incidents on the whole are a minor blip on their business radar. Not saying it's ok, just explainable. Fair enough they offer replacements no-questions-asked, but that's not cheap for those of us living in faraway lands where it costs upwards of $140 to send an insured package one-way. If they offered to split the shipping on valid returns, that would at least be something. As it stands, we roll the dice with every new order.

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #11,263 of 23,603
Taylor Sheridan who wrote "Hell or High Water" (for David Mackenzie, the director) that is set in hot Texas went on to direct his own maiden film as director the following year -"The Wind River" that shares similar subject treatment but set in snowy Wyoming. An equally beautiful film you might want to consider watching, if you own an U18t or A18s - lot of airy and eerie sounds in an otherwise noiseless and deserted snow lands. Nio might be a better fit for "Hell or High Water" - a lot of wind and bassy automobiles and grunts and gun fire. I am doing my best to make film recommendations pass off as relevant matters in 64Audio thread. :wink:

OT as well, but Hell or High Water is a stunning film indeed. The final scene in particular is a writing masterclass. 'Haven't gotten around to seeing Wind River yet, but I did see Sheridan's Sicario (directed by Denis Villeneuve), which I thought was brilliant too. Speaking of Villeneuve, bringing the topic back full-circle, all his recent films are excellent with audiophile gear. Arrival is a film in particular that stuck with me for its sound design. The theatre I was in was literally rattling from all the sub-bass hits. 'Surely worth checking out with the Nio too. :D

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #11,265 of 23,603
OT as well, but Hell or High Water is a stunning film indeed. The final scene in particular is a writing masterclass. 'Haven't gotten around to seeing Wind River yet, but I did see Sheridan's Sicario (directed by Denis Villeneuve), which I thought was brilliant too. Speaking of Villeneuve, bringing the topic back full-circle, all his recent films are excellent with audiophile gear. Arrival is a film in particular that stuck with me for its sound design. The theatre I was in was literally rattling from all the sub-bass hits. 'Surely worth checking out with the Nio too. :D

I have to see Hell or High Water, perhaps watching it with Nio and Lotoo's S1 tuned to "movie" EFX preset :wink: Thanks for the recommendation @Facta and @Deezel177

And I do tend to agree, the iems with deeper low end impact bring out more intense details of sound effects and movie soundtrack scores because during the regular dialogue bass doesn't come into play as much.

Btw, I absolutely love Wind River, probably one my favorites, great storyline and acting and the cast (as my daughter calls it a mix of The Avengers, The Punisher, and The Twilight movie actors :wink: ). But it was a bad timing for that movie release, it could have won many awards if it wasn't for the connection to Miramax :frowning2: Also, love the Sicario as well and can't wait until the 3rd is released to complete the trilogy. And its soundtrack is very intense, that Johann Johansson score literally gives me chills. Was actually telling my wife the other day after watching the last season of Ozark how much I miss Sicario and can't wait for the last one :)

But anyway, back on topic :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back