The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 29, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #11,101 of 23,560
@twister6 wonder if there’s a possible chance to include a comparison between N8 Demo vs N8 cm vs Nio. Seems like the Original N8 Demo is the closest to Nio in every aspect? Thanks a million in advance!

Sorry, I don't have N8 universal demo, that was for CanJam shows, for retailers, and loaner program. 64audio doesn't sell universal demos of N8 or A18s, thus I have both N8 and A18s in CIEM only. Of course, will compare N8 vs Nio, they have the same drivers anyway :)

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #11,102 of 23,560
A few people asked me how hard is it to remove the memory wire from 64audio Silver cable. It's the same process as with any cable, gotta have patience and right tools. I typically use a very small screwdriver, wire clippers, and small pliers. The memory wire is under the clear shrink-wrap layer, and I use a small screwdriver to dig underneath of it to expose the end of the wire. Then, grab it with pliers and pull it to the base of the connector. Then, clip it close to the base, but be very careful not to clip the cable wires. And if you feel the sharp end of the wire, just carefully push on it with a side of pliers to "smooth" it out. Of course, as a disclaimer, do it at your own risk and I'm not responsible if you damage the cable. Plus, I assume you will void the warranty on a cable. But, it's not hard to do, and with this particular cable it took me less than 5min from start to finish. Just be careful and patient.

64audio-nio-silver_memory_wire-01.jpg64audio-nio-silver_memory_wire-02.jpg64audio-nio-silver_memory_wire-03.jpg64audio-nio-silver_memory_wire-04.jpg64audio-nio-silver_memory_wire-05.jpg

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #11,103 of 23,560
So I know this is obviously not the fir audio thread, but just got a package in the mail that I will be trying out with my nio. Including their new -10db isolation module too. Actually ordered the normal 3 pack but Bogdan contacted me and sent this over anyways even though they hadn't yet listed it for sale. Real impressed with that and the super super quick turnaround.

IMG_20200629_151814.jpg

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #11,104 of 23,560
Mashuto beat me to it :) I just took measurements and pictures to share with everybody. Just received Atom XL module pack from Fir Audio as well, and did a quick set of measurements and comparison of Nio with MX, M15, M20, and fir audio N0, N13, N15, and N17. MX and N0 correspond to 10dB isolation, while others have their corresponding isolation # as part of the module index.

N0 is closer to N13 than MX (just a little below it), and N17 nearly aligns with M15. So, in a graph below, it goes in incremental order of MX, N0, N13, N15, M15, N17, M20. And yes, I fixed my calibration below 30Hz :)

64audio-nio-FR5.png

Also, side by side, here are the modules in the same order of incremental isolation. You can see, the "inner guts" from outside, and M and N do look different. Makes it easier to distinguish since you got three modules in black and two in gunmetal grey. Fir Audio calls them 0, N-, N, N+, but I refer to them as N0, N13, N15, and N17.

64audio-nio-modules-01.jpg
64audio-nio-modules-02.jpg
64audio-nio-modules-03.jpg

All these modules help you fine tune the bass, actually, micro-fine tune it. For my own preference, I'm using N0 and just switched to Spinfit CP145 large tips (w/blue core).

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #11,105 of 23,560
Mashuto beat me to it :) I just took measurements and pictures to share with everybody. Just received Atom XL module pack from Fir Audio as well, and did a quick set of measurements and comparison of Nio with MX, M15, M20, and fir audio N0, N13, N15, and N17. MX and N0 correspond to 10dB isolation, while others have their corresponding isolation # as part of the module index.

N0 is closer to N13 than MX (just a little below it), and N17 nearly aligns with M15. So, in a graph below, it goes in incremental order of MX, N0, N13, N15, M15, N17, M20. And yes, I fixed my calibration below 30Hz :)

64audio-nio-FR5.png

Also, side by side, here are the modules in the same order of incremental isolation. You can see, the "inner guts" from outside, and M and N do look different. Makes it easier to distinguish since you got three modules in black and two in gunmetal grey. Fir Audio calls them 0, N-, N, N+, but I refer to them as N0, N13, N15, and N17.

All these modules help you fine tune the bass, actually, micro-fine tune it. For my own preference, I'm using N0 and just switched to Spinfit CP145 large tips (w/blue core).

This is a really cool feature of the Apex stuff, being able to tweak the signature and soundstage to your liking is great. Its making me really want to pull the trigger on the Nio but I have a feeling that no matter what filter is chosen, it will not effect the smooth (not etched) and laid back nature of the Nio. I wish 64 would have just done a direct swap with the 4 BA bass drivers for a DD, kept the rest of the BA's tuning and maybe sped up the DD bass and pushed it into the lower, sub bass registers. Maybe named it the U12tD or something and charged £200 extra and I would have snatched it up.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #11,106 of 23,560
Still on the fence with Nio as N8 is also a consideration, but I am guessing it will be later in the year at best since I am covered with a selection of IEMs that match my sound signature preferences already depending on my mood at the time.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #11,107 of 23,560

64audio-nio-FR5.png

I have only tried the O module from fir so far as I figured based on your earlier graphs that the others were less likely to be noticeably different.

The O module is noticeably different than the mx module at least as the bass doesn't feel rolled off, but there is a noticeable, albeit relatively slight attenuation in bass compared to the m15 module.

I can definitely see this being a good choice for those who may have found the bass just a bit too heavy otherwise, even though it's not that much of a difference. The remaining modules likely being better choices really for fine tuning isolation more than bass itself. Still nice to have that choice.

This is a really cool feature of the Apex stuff, being able to tweak the signature and soundstage to your liking is great. Its making me really want to pull the trigger on the Nio but I have a feeling that no matter what filter is chosen, it will not effect the smooth (not etched) and laid back nature of the Nio. I wish 64 would have just done a direct swap with the 4 BA bass drivers for a DD, kept the rest of the BA's tuning and maybe sped up the DD bass and pushed it into the lower, sub bass registers. Maybe named it the U12tD or something and charged £200 extra and I would have snatched it up.
Based on what I have listened to so far with different modules, they really don't change the overall signature much just different levels of isolation, some small amount of soundstage and then tweaks to the bass level, with the exception of the mx module which is noticeably different in the bass.

But yea beyond bass there's really nothing else changing to the sound itself, so the nio at least definitely retains that smooth(er) sound no matter which module you choose. They are all variations on that smooth warm sound.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not overly smooth, but it is missing that last bit of etched feeling as compared to say the trio (from what I personally have heard). If that's important to you the nio may not be the best choice.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #11,108 of 23,560

Yes, that is trade off and the main difference between Nio and U12t. Nio will give you a textured meaty analog bass impact, fuller body more natural mids/vocals, and smoother treble peaks, while U12t will have a faster BA bass, more transparent (less colored) slightly brighter mids/vocals and a little more sparkle in treble.

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #11,109 of 23,560
I have only tried the O module from fir so far as I figured based on your earlier graphs that the others were less likely to be noticeably different.

The O module is noticeably different than the mx module at least as the bass doesn't feel rolled off, but there is a noticeable, albeit relatively slight attenuation in bass compared to the m15 module.

I can definitely see this being a good choice for those who may have found the bass just a bit too heavy otherwise, even though it's not that much of a difference. The remaining modules likely being better choices really for fine tuning isolation more than bass itself. Still nice to have that choice.

Based on what I have listened to so far with different modules, they really don't change the overall signature much just different levels of isolation, some small amount of soundstage and then tweaks to the bass level, with the exception of the mx module which is noticeably different in the bass.

But yea beyond bass there's really nothing else changing to the sound itself, so the nio at least definitely retains that smooth(er) sound no matter which module you choose. They are all variations on that smooth warm sound.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not overly smooth, but it is missing that last bit of etched feeling as compared to say the trio (from what I personally have heard). If that's important to you the nio may not be the best choice.

Thanks for confirming, appreciate your impressions so far.

Yes, that is trade off and the main difference between Nio and U12t. Nio will give you a textured meaty analog bass impact, fuller body more natural mids/vocals, and smoother treble peaks, while U12t will have a faster BA bass, more transparent (less colored) slightly brighter mids/vocals and a little more sparkle in treble.

Urghh it's frustrating as I sold the U12t in anticipation for the Nio thinking it was going to be similar in tuning. Otherwise I think I may have kept it and gone for the FiR modules to attempt to find a sweet spot for me.... I doubt any of them would have replaced that craving for DD bass however. Oh well! Live and learn. I think I'll (painfully) wait it out for Empires new IEM to be announced before deciding between that or the FiR M4/M5.

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #11,110 of 23,560

64audio-nio-FR5.png

Woohoo! Thank you! I'm loving the look of the bass on the graph:)

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #11,111 of 23,560
Just wanted to say thank you to @twister6 @mashuto @CL14715 for providing initial impressions, comparisons, and FR charts galore on the Nio...all of your content has been super helpful as I await the arrival of my pair.
Thank you gents!

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #11,112 of 23,560
Got my repaired N8's back from 64. They did a nice job on the repair, props to them for making it right. I've attached an audiogram of my perceived freq response before and after.

Right = Red circle
Left = Blue X
Both = Green Cross.

Very good channel matching on the repair. Buy with confidence!

heaingApril2020.JPG
n8after.JPG

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #11,113 of 23,560
Urghh it's frustrating as I sold the U12t in anticipation for the Nio thinking it was going to be similar in tuning. Otherwise I think I may have kept it and gone for the FiR modules to attempt to find a sweet spot for me.... I doubt any of them would have replaced that craving for DD bass however. Oh well! Live and learn. I think I'll (painfully) wait it out for Empires new IEM to be announced before deciding between that or the FiR M4/M5.

I wouldn't recommend the FiR M4 and M5 if you enjoyed the U12t a lot. I tried both of those models and thought the U12t was better overall. You don't get the DD texture, but that's about it !

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #11,114 of 23,560
Anyone know if 64 Audio removed their progress tracker for CIEMs? The last pair I bought from them was back in 2016, and there was a page that would tell you what step in the build process they were in. I got an email from them saying my A18s were in production, but status hasn't changed in the order page, and it doesn't look like there is any build progress page. I know this won't change anything, but I thought it was fun to see, and made the waiting a little eaiser.

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #11,115 of 23,560
Anyone know if 64 Audio removed their progress tracker for CIEMs? The last pair I bought from them was back in 2016, and there was a page that would tell you what step in the build process they were in. I got an email from them saying my A18s were in production, but status hasn't changed in the order page, and it doesn't look like there is any build progress page. I know this won't change anything, but I thought it was fun to see, and made the waiting a little eaiser.

Yeah it’s gone, it’ll just say when it’s shipped now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back