The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 16, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #10,067 of 23,608
Does anyone have the graphs for the A18s or the A18t?
I think I have the most accurate measurements on CIEMs yet*. I have measured my A18t here: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/2019/11/17/measuring-ciem/#64_Audio_A18t

*This is picking up on the discussions previously about "coupler" (read: ear canal) resonance and considering insertion depth.

Unfortunately it will be more than two weeks until I can presumably get my hands on the A18s demo. But I have borrowed the U18t demo again yesterday and I was rolling ear tips and experimenting with fit to get it as close to my custom as possible. But so far I have failed. In comparison, foamies sound dull and bassy and most silicone tips recess the mids.
My A18t sounds louder, has more pronounced mids and softer treble. The soundstage has immensely better layering and depth.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #10,068 of 23,608
I think I have the most accurate measurements on CIEMs yet*. I have measured my A18t here: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/2019/11/17/measuring-ciem/#64_Audio_A18t

*This is picking up on the discussions previously about "coupler" (read: ear canal) resonance and considering insertion depth.

Unfortunately it will be more than two weeks until I can presumably get my hands on the A18s demo. But I have borrowed the U18t demo again yesterday and I was rolling ear tips and experimenting with fit to get it as close to my custom as possible. But so far I have failed. In comparison, foamies sound dull and bassy and most silicone tips recess the mids.
My A18t sounds louder, has more pronounced mids and softer treble. The soundstage has immensely better layering and depth.

Did you try pairing with JVC spiral dot and Acoustune AE07 yet?

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #10,069 of 23,608
Did you try pairing with JVC spiral dot and Acoustune AE07 yet?
I have tried JVC Spiral Dot. They're the most comfortable and I get a reasonably deep fit. But it's still worlds apart (in terms of high-end audio) compared to the CIEM.

BTW, I took the time to measure the U18t with varying insertion depth. Thought some might be interested. Please note that the deepest and most shallow insertion are merely 4mm apart. That's all the variation I could squeeze out of my setup before resulting with rubbish.

Resonance Shift.png

Deeper fit on the right. It balances out the treble favorably (notice that this is smoothed by 1/48oct only). This depends on the design, though I am pretty sure the tia driver is meant to go in as deep as possible. The results could look completely different with any other IEM.

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #10,070 of 23,608

Tks for the graph. Ciems will always sound different as compared to uiem. E.g. Crinacle’s list of rating, he rated Layla (sorry to dwell over to JH Audio) to be a B. I took the leap of faith 2 mths back to make a ciem Layla. Very pleased with it.

If I am to purchase another ciem, my next would be A18t. As I’ve audit before U18t and it sounded so nice. Ciem version definitely would be better I presume.

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #10,071 of 23,608
Hi. I own a Sony ier z1r and am after another totl iem. I'm considering u12t or solaris. Anybody here have an opinion on both?

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #10,072 of 23,608

Your description of A18t is what I hear with U18t using these E-Pro eartips, as I mentioned before.

ps-palladium-hybrid-21.jpg

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #10,073 of 23,608
Hi. I own a Sony ier z1r and am after another totl iem. I'm considering u12t or solaris. Anybody here have an opinion on both?
What are you after? Not a huge fan of the Solaris personally

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #10,074 of 23,608
I'm after an iem that will sound great with genres from rock/metal to jazz, edm and classical. Something that will keep my happy for a long time

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #10,075 of 23,608
I'm after an iem that will sound great with genres from rock/metal to jazz, edm and classical. Something that will keep my happy for a long time
The new A18S is godmode I think... absolutely love mine and in a completely different league from the Solaris... compared to the U12t - I felt like it was a direct upgrade regardless of the somewhat higher quantity of trebke

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #10,076 of 23,608
The new A18S is godmode I think... absolutely love mine and in a completely different league from the Solaris... compared to the U12t - I felt like it was a direct upgrade regardless of the somewhat higher quantity of trebke

how does 18s feels in comparison to u18t and fourte regular?

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #10,077 of 23,608
But the U12t is better than solaris for you?

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #10,078 of 23,608
how does 18s feels in comparison to u18t and fourte regular?
It has the width of the regular Fourte and much much more excitement than the U18t. Better bass, better mids, less but more controlled/sparkler treble

and yes I’d say U12t > Solaris

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #10,079 of 23,608

Well, you know how it goes. You will ask 10 different people, and will get 10 different answers based on their individual preferences :wink:

And just like we say here "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet", there is another saying "if you want to find iem to keep you happy for a long time, after your next purchase stop reading head-fi for a long time" :D

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #10,080 of 23,608
Haha

I shall then delete my headfi account as I got an outstanding gear collection now. No need for anything anymore )

As a last note I got my self a huge audio library so no more streaming ! Its 60% 24bit + resolution ) ) )

Got also dsd's aaa those sound so seductive!

@twister6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back