The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 14, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #10,021 of 23,562
I don't know why nobody had mentioned this, but if you want to reduce the sibilance on the trio, the most efficient way is to use EQ. That sibilance bothers me as well, but mostly on female vocals tracks.

Anyway, the trio has a treble spike at about 7.8k. if you only have basic eq, lower 8k by 3db, or by however much you feel makes sibilance taper off.

If you have a full eq (like the one in uapp) reduce 7.8k by 3db and a bandwidth (or Q) of about 5. This is my best estimation but I could be off, so if someone wants to chip in that would be fine.

Doing this will really reduce those nasty "SSS" sounds.

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........

Nobody mention the devil's tricks! EQs are for heathens!

Seriously though, at this price range, if sibilance bothers you in a particular earphone, move on to other earphones.

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #10,022 of 23,562
SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........

Nobody mention the devil's tricks! EQs are for heathens!

Seriously though, at this price range, if sibilance bothers you in a particular earphone, move on to other earphones.
I agree shouldn't have to eq expensive iems. Just sell and get ones better for you

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #10,023 of 23,562
+1

There's generally quite a lot of choice in the IEM market, unless you're looking for some extremely specific stuff that only very specific models can provide. I use filters quite a lot such as the WM1Z's vinyl thingie, but that's more of a sound treatment as opposed to a specific EQ

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #10,024 of 23,562
+1

There's generally quite a lot of choice in the IEM market, unless you're looking for some extremely specific stuff that only very specific models can provide. I use filters quite a lot such as the WM1Z's vinyl thingie, but that's more of a sound treatment as opposed to a specific EQ

Heathen! #soundpurity

Honestly though, whatever rocks your boat is the best approach to these things. I'm personally icky towards EQ for non-portable applications as I find it impossible to consistently EQ across multiple sources.

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #10,025 of 23,562
Heathen! #soundpurity

Honestly though, whatever rocks your boat is the best approach to these things. I'm personally icky towards EQ for non-portable applications as I find it impossible to consistently EQ across multiple sources.
Yeahhhh I was like that too, until the WM1Z showed me just how thicccc sound can get :D

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #10,026 of 23,562
A few days ago, I have written about the A18t and U18t difference. Looks like it is all about the insertion level of the APEX modules. If I insert the modules like the red earpiece, the treble is not extended like the U18t and it sounds pretty warm. But if I leave it sticking out a bit like the blue earpiece, it is pretty much what I heard during the demo of U18t. Seems to lose also a bit from the bass.

With my A12 I have also noticed the depth of module insertion can greatly vary the sound. Deeper the insertion: narrower sound stage, more bass, less highs; Shallower the insertion: wider sound stage, more openness, more highs, and less mid bass. (I normally go with shallow insertion)

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #10,027 of 23,562
With my A12 I have also noticed the depth of module insertion can greatly vary the sound. Deeper the insertion: narrower sound stage, more bass, less highs; Shallower the insertion: wider sound stage, more openness, more highs, and less mid bass. (I normally go with shallow insertion)
Aren’t you worried that with a shallower insertion you might lose the module though?

I have similar findings where soundstage width is concerned - the M15 stretches a fair bit wider than the M20 with the A18s which is also the main reason I’ve been using it

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #10,028 of 23,562
I have NEVER seen anyone mention getting a new IEM when a cable memer suggests $2k cables to make someones iem sound better. I mention the most efficient and cost effective way to ACTUALLY change the sound of your IEM for the better and I'm treated like I spoke some taboo? C'mon boys lol.

No cable, tip, or insertion depth is going to help the person I was responding to. EQ will.

I EQ all my gear. Sometimes I want more bass when I listen to EDM. Sometimes I want more full mids.

Sorry but y'all asked for it.
(This isn't directed at you MVVraz, your response was reasonable enough and I know how you switch out IEMs often)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #10,029 of 23,562
I have NEVER seen anyone mention getting a new IEM when a cable memer suggests $2k cables to make someones iem sound better. I mention the most efficient and cost effective way to ACTUALLY change the sound of your IEM for the better and I'm treated like I spoke some taboo? C'mon boys lol.

No cable, tip, or insertion depth is going to help the person I was responding to. EQ will.

I EQ all my gear. Sometimes I want more bass when I listen to EDM. Sometimes I want fuller mids.

Sorry but y'all asked for it.
(This isn't directed at you MVVraz)
hahaha but it is :D

Honestly though, while I LOVE my cables I've stopped flat out recommending them. I've been trying a variety of sources and amps as of late and the changes they bring to the sound are probably the most cost effective non-EQ way of getting more out of your gear. Cables... while I can hear some differences here and there - I can't not admit that a lot of it is vanity

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #10,030 of 23,562
Aren’t you worried that with a shallower insertion you might lose the module though?

I have similar findings where soundstage width is concerned - the M15 stretches a fair bit wider than the M20 with the A18s which is also the main reason I’ve been using it

It is not that loose, but just a bit shallower. Maybe if you drop it on a hard surface the risk of it coming out is higher but that's it (I would expect more a broken shell than it coming out). Both rubbers are still inside but not that deep. Treble detail and sound stage is pretty improved. I wonder how the A18s would sound with M15 shallow insertion --> maybe you can give it a try and let us know :)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #10,031 of 23,562
hahaha but it is :D

Honestly though, while I LOVE my cables I've stopped flat out recommending them. I've been trying a variety of sources and amps as of late and the changes they bring to the sound are probably the most cost effective non-EQ way of getting more out of your gear. Cables... while I can hear some differences here and there - I can't not admit that a lot of it is vanity
No FR it was the guy's above you. I've seen how often you've switch IEMs until you found your lineup and from you it was reasonable.

The way I see it, if more expensive cables make your IEM sound better, then a crappy one will make it worse right? When I put a KZ cable on my VX it sounded the same though lol.

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #10,033 of 23,562
EQ is not an enemy, specially when we talk about sensitivity on high frequencies.

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #10,034 of 23,562
No FR it was the guy's above you. I've seen how often you've switch IEMs until you found your lineup and from you it was reasonable.

The way I see it, if more expensive cables make your IEM sound better, then a crappy one will make it worse right? When I put a KZ cable on my VX it sounded the same though lol.
Ummm there’s a lot of factors.. some IEMs respond to cables more than others - for example the bass on the Elysium changes a fair bit when I swap from one cable to another in terms of decay and slam. The A18S does not care whatsoever what it has attached to it as long as it like... conducts lol

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #10,035 of 23,562
I don't know why nobody had mentioned this, but if you want to reduce the sibilance on the trio, the most efficient way is to use EQ. That sibilance bothers me as well, but mostly on female vocals tracks.

Anyway, the trio has a treble spike at about 7.8k. if you only have basic eq, lower 8k by 3db, or by however much you feel makes sibilance taper off.

If you have a full eq (like the one in uapp) reduce 7.8k by 3db and a bandwidth (or Q) of about 5. This is my best estimation but I could be off, so if someone wants to chip in that would be fine.

Doing this will really reduce those nasty "SSS" sounds.
To be fair, the tia Trió doesn't have any peak around 7-8 kHz per se. What you are experiencing is the resonance of your own ear canal. It adds to the tuning of the IEM, which is actually even a bit recessed.

You can easily adjust it with a deeper fit or other ear tips. For me, the resonance peaks at 9 kHz (with Sedna Ear Tips) which makes the treble very smooth overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back