The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 12, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #10,006 of 23,560
Spending the day with the A18s (FiR -17 module) and my DX160, just awesomeness.

I find I spend most of my time with the 13 or the 17 modules. 13 for when I want to go hyper-open/detailed, 17 for when I want lush/deep, or just more isolation for cafes and such. I think they should have packaged those two with the IEM instead of 15 and 20!

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #10,007 of 23,560
Another day in lockdown in the UK, at least I have fantastic views, plenty of space to do my once a day exercise and a awesome IEM to listen to my large music library.

IMG_1896.JPG
IMG_1897.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #10,008 of 23,560
Another day in lockdown in the UK, at least I have fantastic views, plenty of space to do my once a day exercise and a awesome IEM to listen to my large music library.

Lovely view, which part of the UK is that?

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #10,011 of 23,560
The Trio bore is relatively narrow. Wider than Shure/Westone but not that much wider. Its nowhere near 5mm.

I had to widen the stem using a metallic tool. The trick is to keep turning so that the platicky rubbery white material heats up a bit and stretches. If you do it gently the stem will widen without causing any damage to the structure of the tip. The trick is to be precise and patient. Dexterity is key.
I managed to expand to 6mm using my bike allen/hex keys, left them on the 6mm key for a few days and got the olives onto my rai pentas with ease..

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #10,012 of 23,560
I can't find the Fir atom modules here in the UK after many a duckduckgo search... Suggestions appreciated!
Think they are available only from Fir atm. Maybe email and ask if they are still open and can send you some if you buy them?

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #10,014 of 23,560
Here’s the measured difference between M15 and M20: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/2019/...noir/#The_Difference_Between_Apex_M15_and_M20

For both, the 12t and 18t I MUCH prefer m15. I think the difference doesn’t show in the frequency response. The leaner and more spacious sound must have to do with less reverberations or something.

I can tell that sonically their is no difference but isolation wise there is. I can feel that 5 db to isolate much better in my noir vs my previous trio... I am very happy about !I can hear more music details and concentrate on nuances.

I think the lesser is your apex # then better stay at home for a more quiet listen, m20 great for outdoors, I also believe 64a adjust the tuning accordingly to the internal modules so it sound right.

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #10,017 of 23,560
A few days ago, I have written about the A18t and U18t difference. Looks like it is all about the insertion level of the APEX modules. If I insert the modules like the red earpiece, the treble is not extended like the U18t and it sounds pretty warm. But if I leave it sticking out a bit like the blue earpiece, it is pretty much what I heard during the demo of U18t. Seems to lose also a bit from the bass, though - becomes just like the universal version. I will test with the M20 module later today.

Screenshot_20200414-084210_Gallery.jpg

Apr 14, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #10,018 of 23,560
Has the canal for the module stripes to seat the rubber rings? If so, I encourage you to find the proper position of the module. Rubber rings would be damaged or deformed, and this will affect sealing and durability.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #10,019 of 23,560
I can tell that sonically their is no difference but isolation wise there is. I can feel that 5 db to isolate much better in my noir vs my previous trio... I am very happy about !I can hear more music details and concentrate on nuances.

I think the lesser is your apex # then better stay at home for a more quiet listen, m20 great for outdoors, I also believe 64a adjust the tuning accordingly to the internal modules so it sound right.

It's weird, because initially at home I felt a very minimal difference. I then decided to plop the m20 into my left side, and the m15 into my right side. Lo and behold, there was a difference! Alas, not a huge one in terms of isolation, but to say there's no difference is a bit misleading. I also felt that the m15 had less occlusion.

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #10,020 of 23,560
Thank you for your feedback! I’ll look into those cables. Also considering from Forza Audioworks.

I’m using the sp1000m as source. As far as tips, I’m using silicone ones JVC Spiral Dot++
I don't know why nobody has mentioned this, but if you want to reduce the sibilance on the trio, the most efficient way is to use EQ. That sibilance bothers me as well, but mostly on female vocals tracks.

Anyway, the trio has a treble spike at about 7.8k. if you only have basic eq, lower 8k by 3db, or by however much you feel makes sibilance taper off.

If you have a full eq (like the one in uapp) reduce 7.8k by 3db and a bandwidth (or Q) of about 5. This is my best estimation but I could be off, so if someone wants to chip in that would be fine.

Doing this will really reduce those nasty "SSS" sounds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back