The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Dec 20, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #8,401 of 23,560
Ohh who of thought of that hehe.
I thinked it just got baked , stuffed and the lasagna is ready haha

I guess but I find universal to be better with my ears.
True that soundstage and separation seems more apparent with a custom.

I think it all goes along how your brain wants to hear music, and where you put your attention at...

ear anatomy bro - Twister for example describes the improvement I hear when going to custom when he uses a universal

For most people I’ve seen on headfi though, customs tend to sound quite a bit better

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #8,402 of 23,560
Not sure if this a joke or not, but my honest experience has been the opposite.

And unless your ear canal is shaped in a way that is incompatible with customs, the comfort and isolation benefits of customs are easily worth a large proportion of these high prices we pay (for custom or universal iems.)

I had that effect with empire ears phantoms.

They slightly sound different from universal. In that case the universal sounded better.

Yes definitely comfort and isolation is a plus.

We were talking sq here.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #8,403 of 23,560
Thanks guys, super helpful. I went down to my local dealer and pulled the trigger.
After purchasing the Tia Trio & IER-Z1R this week, think I'm good on IEMs for awhile, hopefully.
That is my iem combo also! Z1R for home, trio for on the go. Was planning on selling one, but have never been able to bring myself to part with either.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #8,404 of 23,560
That is my iem combo also! Z1R for home, trio for on the go. Was planning on selling one, but have never been able to bring myself to part with either.

I have CIEMS at home and the Trio is for on the go as well. As my only universal (after selling Angie II), it will get use anytime a custom is not the best option at the time.

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #8,405 of 23,560
I have CIEMS at home and the Trio is for on the go as well. As my only universal (after selling Angie II), it will get use anytime a custom is not the best option at the time.

One more thing to add, regardless if it's Trio or any of their other universals (U18t has been with me on the go for 2.5 years), the metal shells are build tough. Dropped them by accident quite a few times, including when I'm going through cable rolling on my granite countertop. Acrylic wouldn't survive this. So, on the go, these metal shells give you a peace of mind.

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #8,406 of 23,560
Which dap between the N6ii and Paw 6000 would pair best with the A12t and Tia Trio?

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #8,407 of 23,560
Which dap between the N6ii and Paw 6000 would pair best with the A12t and Tia Trio?

U can go lp6k for price, I guess.
But n6ii has android lp6k dont.

N6ii has more power output.
Amp swappable.

I think ul like lp6k more

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #8,408 of 23,560
U can go lp6k for price, I guess.
But n6ii has android lp6k dont.

N6ii has more power output.
Amp swappable.

I think ul like lp6k more

Thanks. Android does not interest me personally, but I would not make that keep me from getting an N6ii. I like how my QP1R sounds and I think it is more along the lines of the LP6K or LPGT in sound signature. I do like the thought of swapping Dac/amps, but that can get expensive in the long run, but still lower priced than new daps in the future.

Dec 21, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #8,409 of 23,560
Thanks. Android does not interest me personally, but I would not make that keep me from getting an N6ii. I like how my QP1R sounds and I think it is more along the lines of the LP6K or LPGT in sound signature. I do like the thought of swapping Dac/amps, but that can get expensive in the long run, but still lower priced than new daps in the future.
Have you tried the R6 Pro?

Dec 21, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #8,410 of 23,560
Have you tried the R6 Pro?

The only daps I have ever heard are the QP1R and QP2R. They are my reference points and I like the sound of both, just want a different UI and ability to stream from smartphone or the dap itself.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #8,411 of 23,560
The only daps I have ever heard are the QP1R and QP2R. They are my reference points and I like the sound of both, just want a different UI and ability to stream from smartphone or the dap itself.
In that case the R6 Pro is well worth considering. Full access to UAPP, and also all the major streaming platforms (I use Tidal). And it sounds sublime with the U12t so should do the same with your IEMs. Bonus is that it's cheaper than the two DAPs you mentioned and you'll probably be hard pressed to tell the difference sound-wise.

Dec 21, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #8,412 of 23,560
That's one thick cable, 19awg gauge x 4. I can see it's great for a desktop setup when you don't move around :wink:

Actually, I like it so much I’ve decided to keep this one for cafe use and order another longer (5-foot) one for home use. It’s thick, but really pliant and comfy. Fine for sitting at a cafe, although I certainly wouldn’t want to use it while walking.

Now I have something to look forward to when spring rolls around. :wink:

Edit: Listening to this cable now, I realize it has a specific quality I’ve noticed in only the best audio equipment: it makes me want to turn down the volume. That is, it conveys the same sense of detail and soundstage at lower volume levels, so the extra volume just feels extraneous.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #8,413 of 23,560
Actually, I like it so much I’ve decided to keep this one for cafe use and order another longer (5-foot) one for home use. It’s thick, but really pliant and comfy. Fine for sitting at a cafe, although I certainly wouldn’t want to use it while walking.

Now I have something to look forward to when spring rolls around. :wink:

Edit: Listening to this cable now, I realize it has a specific quality I’ve noticed in only the best audio equipment: it makes me want to turn down the volume. That is, it conveys the same sense of detail and soundstage at lower volume levels, so the extra volume just feels extraneous.
That might be a function of elevated treble, where it naturally adds more detail, while sounding a bit uncomfortable at higher volumes

As someone that generally listens at really low volumes (when my friends try my IEMs out they add a solid 40/150 points on my AK SP1000M, sometimes even more), I really really appreciate cables that are able to produce that effect

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #8,414 of 23,560
That might be a function of elevated treble, where it naturally adds more detail, while sounding a bit uncomfortable at higher volumes

As someone that generally listens at really low volumes (when my friends try my IEMs out they add a solid 40/150 points on my AK SP1000M, sometimes even more), I really really appreciate cables that are able to produce that effect

The thing DOES have about a metric ton of silver in it, so maybe that's why... You're right I think it has something to do with the treble, although it doesn't sound "bright" per se.

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #8,415 of 23,560
The thing DOES have about a metric ton of silver in it, so maybe that's why... You're right I think it has something to do with the treble, although it doesn't sound "bright" per se.
I think bright is a somewhat misunderstood term, where it is used interchangeably with "thin"

The Rai Meze Penta is a typical overly thin (and terrible) sounding IEM

The U18t is a somewhat bright IEM due to quantity of treble, but in no way or form is it "thin" sounding

So yeah, you might have a treble boost due to the silver (my DHC Symbiote is a pretty classic silver bright wire too), without having any sort of thinness to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back