The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 21, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #7,711 of 23,565
Wait, are you seriously arguing with someone who is intentionally trolling this thread to get people going? Did you notice that nobody else is replying back because they all clicked on Ignore (click on user name and select Ignore to stop seeing his/her posts).
I agree. Ignore that guy. I find it hard to have faith in anyone that talks up an IEM as the best and then wants to sell them immediately or soon after their review. In a much earlier post I said the same about the guy called Pinky Powers. Tks.

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #7,713 of 23,565
good to see you back from your hiatus, Klaus! and nice review, have they dethroned the pp8s for you?
I haven't been gone, just lurked around other places instead.

PP8 vs 12t...
1400 vs 2200 €... If somebody would ask me to recommend a monitoring IEM, I'd still recommend the PP8. The tuning is still spot on and really hard to beat. If that somebody were an audiophile, I'd push him to the U/A12t. Be it because of apex and tia or not, the experience is simply amazing.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #7,714 of 23,565
Wait, are you seriously arguing with someone who is intentionally trolling this thread to get people going? Did you notice that nobody else is replying back because they all clicked on Ignore (click on user name and select Ignore to stop seeing his/her posts).
Chinese “head-fi” refers to the Noir being 3rd generation. This was brought up earlier but he maybe has a point. Gen 2 must have been after my departure in April of 2018. If I had to put my twisterCAP on I’d say it was around summer of 2018. “twister investigative series” sounds scandalous

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Aug 22, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #7,715 of 23,565
Chinese “head-fi” refers to the Noir being 3rd generation. This was brought up earlier but he maybe has a point. Gen 2 must have been after my departure in April of 2018. If I had to put my twisterCAP on I’d say it was around summer of 2018. “twister investigative series” sounds scandalous

That is one "twisted" post, bud :D

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #7,716 of 23,565
I've been loving my A18ts. But the treble, while not fatiguing—I can listen happily for hours at a time—takes a toll on my hearing the next day. And when I listen to breakbeats, the kick drums are still not quite where they should be.

Fortunately, the APEX module system allows one to tweak this kind of problem by adjusting the pressure at the bore. But what do you do, if you're like me and you want a little MORE pressure at the bore than you get with the M20? Then stepping down to the M15 module is no help; nor is FIR Audio's set of modules. You could buy the solid orange ones, but that's both unsightly and expensive. And I didn't want them all the way closed, anyway.

The APEX module is very close to exactly 5 mm around, and the pinhole pressure vents are in a little trench at the top, like the Death Star did it. I cut some tiny slivers of acoustic foam to fill the trenches most of the way, and then to compress the foam up against the pinhole, I used some tiny (3.6 mm) o-rings that I got off Amazon (part of an assortment of even tinier o-rings intended for watch repair).

This shifted the FR just enough for my tastes, and unlike most audio hacks, the IEMs actually look MORE attractive this way. The little black ring around the silver dot looks very refined.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #7,719 of 23,565
I was able to audition the u18t and was wondering if there is a sonic difference between the custom version and the universal version. Reason I ask is I loved everything about the U18 except for a resonant treble peak which was noticeable on certain vocals and also things like the decay on ride cymbals (also other cymbals) and hi hats etc.. I noticed it on material that I have recorded and mixed as well as on some other recordings I’m familiar with. It presented as a type of sibilance.

I guess it’s similar to what’s being described at the end of this review when he tries the U18’s - https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/64-audio-a18t-in-ear-monitor

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #7,720 of 23,565
I was able to audition the u18t and was wondering if there is a sonic difference between the custom version and the universal version. Reason I ask is I loved everything about the U18 except for a resonant treble peak which was noticeable on certain vocals and also things like the decay on ride cymbals (also other cymbals) and hi hats etc.. I noticed it on material that I have recorded and mixed as well as on some other recordings I’m familiar with. It presented as a type of sibilance.

I guess it’s similar to what’s being described at the end of this review when he tries the U18’s - https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/64-audio-a18t-in-ear-monitor
The custom 18 has more bass due to the seal but still the same peaks and they hiss even worse.

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #7,721 of 23,565
In general any custom model vs. its universal counterpart has:

- more bass
- smoother treble
- more detail

Personally, i also hear better spatial positioning on my A18 vs. my experience with the u18t. I've never heard a hiss on my A18, but on certain components, any uber-resolving headphones will hiss. Just find a setup that you like that doesn't hiss...simple.

The A18 are easily the best iem i've heard to date, and 64a's custom fit is by far the most well-fitting shell i've experienced.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #7,722 of 23,565
The A18 are easily the best iem i've heard to date, and 64a's custom fit is by far the most well-fitting shell i've experienced.

I find my A12t fits me better than my other custom too.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #7,723 of 23,565
^ yeah, 64a's build technique ("3d-fit," in marketing jargon) is really impressive.

i currently own ciems from a handful of companies and it's not even close.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #7,724 of 23,565
4th day with the Fourte
w/o a doubt these are the most musical IEMs I've owned.
So much details :k701smile:

I told myself to not go over a certain $$ on IEMs, but glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back