The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 6, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #7,516 of 23,668
I settled for a DHC Symbiote SP V3 OCC Silver 8 Wire. My Fourte now exhibits unreal amounts of soundstage and micro detail.
It may sound bright at times since it is pure silver, but I may be getting used to it already.
I just looked up the guys behind this cable and I’m absolutely loving the look of the cables and their philosophy. Also 800$ for a pure silver 8w sounds great

Do you know where they ship from? The states I assume?

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #7,517 of 23,668
I just looked up the guys behind this cable and I’m absolutely loving the look of the cables and their philosophy. Also 800$ for a pure silver 8w sounds great

Do you know where they ship from? The states I assume?
Yes, they are US based. I did not get mine new though. Had a fellow head-fier sell one to me from Australia.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #7,518 of 23,668
Anyone got any tips for cable pairing with fourte? I am looking forward to trying them out a lot and I suppose I will use r4 at home and 1950 at other times.

Extremely excited to finally hear them. So much so that I’m not too worried about having to send u18t off for repair.

If anybody knows of done nice pairing though I am all ears.
I use the EA Eros II 8 wire, and it's a great pairing. Slight softening of the treble, and more coherent from the bass to lower mids (we're talking small differences here). If you can wear them, I would strongly recommend foam tips, which are the perfect answer to the common complaint of treble sibilance. Treble becomes smoother, yet still highly detailed. Strictly my opinion.

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #7,519 of 23,668
@Barra is making me want to re-visit the entire PW Audio tour now that I have the U18T in my stable. I did the testing with the Katana which worked out well, but what I would give to try them all on my U18T! Been pining for that 1980 lately for a little added spice in my life.

-Collin-

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #7,520 of 23,668
yes re: tips i was thinking i would try symbio Mandarin as i use these on trio and they work well on that. interestingly using symbio on U18T was a total disaster. utterly destroys the sound. spiral tips wonderful.

re: cable i guess i will see how i go. i might try going for my ultimate rig and make it work with the r4 cable, and use wm1z with hugo. people on train will think i am wearing a bandage (r4 cable is very white and thick like a plaster) and battery will last about three hours but it could hit hard so worth a go :)

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #7,521 of 23,668
yes re: tips i was thinking i would try symbio Mandarin as i use these on trio and they work well on that. interestingly using symbio on U18T was a total disaster. utterly destroys the sound. spiral tips wonderful.

Which spiral tips?

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #7,522 of 23,668
Jvc 2nd smallest.

Just received the fourte. A lot more fun and articulation than trio. Only at work so on 1950 which is not a huge detail cable. I think the r4 will be a better match.

Reminds me of u18t in how complete / detailed it is but I feel like u18t might be stronger in

I will experiment a bit and see how it goes but initial feeling v positive.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #7,524 of 23,668
IMO it is not. the 1950s is like a curator. it examines what the music has to offer and then seems to make a decision about which part of the music it will drag out for you to hear. usually it makes great decisions.

to me this is why the 1950 is a great commute cable. it brings things forward and simplifies. and sounds absolutely god given too of course. very nice.

but not, IMO, detailed (although that is a relative comment).

the alo ref8 for example is very detailed but screechy (sux a fair bit IMO).

the r4 from silverfi by comparison is every single detail available and beautiful natural tone.

i did post a stream of consciousness rant about this comparison once but i doubt that compared to twister or other reviewers i have much to offer with respect to details. (and of course when it comes to the dark art of cables i have even less how this result comes about)

Aug 7, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #7,525 of 23,668
1950 not detailed?

i really want to hear whatever you're listening to that you think actually is detailed...

Aug 7, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #7,526 of 23,668
1950 not detailed?

i really want to hear whatever you're listening to that you think actually is detailed...
Sounds like he is referring to the SilverFi R4, which is a beast of a cable. It is 12-wire and about as artisan as it gets for aftermarket cables. I had the R5 (also 12-wire) on loan for a little while, but could not listen to it enough because I simply could not deal with the ergonomics.

Aug 7, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #7,527 of 23,668
yes it is as Wyville says. i bang on about the r4 cable alot but there is a reason, it is kind of stupefying. i'm listening to kate bush on fourte and 1950 right now. it sounds incredible. as i listen to it i think, "what do i want for?". but when i get home and put fourte's on r4, you get all this texture on notes etc, which in direct comparison with the 1950, makes it look sad.

weird hobby.

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #7,528 of 23,668
Hmm, will try to check it out.

Can you do better on the description besides, "sad?" :triportsad:

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #7,529 of 23,668
yes i apologise. "sad" is inept.

i think i'm referring to depth. on the r4 there is a tremendous space that everything is laid out in, and it feels like it has depth. the 1950 feels like it is relatively shallow. a lack of depth and instead it's like it magnifies a portion of the sound. the r4 throws everything up a bit like a hologram and you can look over it and see into it. on the other hand it doesn't accentuate much anything so i guess it could be considered dull.

i recently got an old Hugo and due to the headphone jack on that thing I had to use the 1950 and could not use the r4. Coming from a WM1Z the Hugo's "swing" plus the sparkle and engagement of the 1950 was a real hit. i was listening to any old record cause it wasn't the resolution that was kicking it was the "musicality" (for want of a better word). so horses for courses i guess.

i am beginning to think i could commute with the r4 though. it sort of wears in over time.

listening to the new (to me) fourte's tonight on my desktop setup. sounds so beautifully liquid and natural. u18t aren't working right now but i imagine the fourte's to maybe flow a bit nicer and you can hear that bass which i am sure is more natural and boomy on the fourte. instrument seperation is fantastic and it all feels like it is effortlessly rendered. details are surprising and the juxtaposition of the treble with the big air-filled bass really works. i think i should mention (as it was something i worried about) there is zero issue i have noticed with "shrillness" and i have treble sensitive ears i think). i am using symbio mandarins and i do think these really suit the fourte. would like to hear if there are any other known knock out combo's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back