The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #7,501 of 23,608
unless i am mistaken though it was partly a case that the 1950 really MADE the Legend X. not that the 1950 with a18t was not a good combo. i have never tried 1960 2 wire but use the 1950 with the u18t. i also use the trio with 1950 sometimes (like today). the 1950 cable is a treat no matter what is being used i think. it just drags detail to the fore ands makes things sound very clear and musical.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #7,502 of 23,608
unless i am mistaken though it was partly a case that the 1950 really MADE the Legend X. not that the 1950 with a18t was not a good combo. i have never tried 1960 2 wire but use the 1950 with the u18t. i also use the trio with 1950 sometimes (like today). the 1950 cable is a treat no matter what is being used i think. it just drags detail to the fore ands makes things sound very clear and musical.

Well I believe it comes to personal preference at the end of the day.

I used to like great soundstage, clarity and separation when I first got SP1000 with my A18t. But then when I got the DX200+Amp9 I fell in love with the warm tube sound. So that s why I was checking around in Head-fi on a combo for 18t+cable which could give me the "wet, warm tube" feeling.

Tried once of 1960 4-wire at MS with my 18t+SPK, and happily heard the tube sound I prefer nowadays. Just not so sure if it would give the same result ilfor a 2-wire version...

I m sure 1950+18t will give you the grand soundstage you are looking for....

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #7,503 of 23,608
You just made the decision to go with 1950 for my U18t a lot less final.
Keep in mind that I did get the 1950 over the 1960 but if it was just about the 18 then it was the 1960 when I had them side by side. However, all this talk about the 1950 and the 18 makes we want to go back and relisten. :)

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #7,504 of 23,608
Anyone got any tips for cable pairing with fourte? I am looking forward to trying them out a lot and I suppose I will use r4 at home and 1950 at other times.

Extremely excited to finally hear them. So much so that I’m not too worried about having to send u18t off for repair.

If anybody knows of done nice pairing though I am all ears.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #7,505 of 23,608
I just swapped out the Apex 20 for the 15 in my A12t and so far I am liking the 15 more. I love the air and the bass is still very good.

Finally caved in and ordered Fourte after finding it my favourite iem two years running at Canjam London. Am I right in thinking swopping Apex modules only applies to the 12 and 18?

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #7,506 of 23,608
Finally caved in and ordered Fourte after finding it my favourite iem two years running at Canjam London. Am I right in thinking swopping Apex modules only applies to the 12 and 18?

It applies to all of 64's apex-equipped IEMs (from the A2e to the U/A18t) except the Fourté, Noir and Trio. For those three, the apex module is internally fixed.

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #7,507 of 23,608
On the topic of cables - I am currently looking at some more budget options (under 300 or so), and I spoke to Matthew over at Forza Audioworks and I'll be placing an order for an 8wire hybrid cable next week (copper + silver, not an SPC). Quite excited to see what it'll be like, will certainly be posting the results after trying it with the U18t and the Noir :)

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #7,508 of 23,608
I just tried the Noir with a 3.5mm non-balanced and I am enjoying it quite a bit more than I did on the balanced connection... it feels like the instrumental separation is greater, the soundstage is blacker, and I can pick out somewhat more details - at the cost of some warmth and a certain energy that seems to be missing from the instruments. Am I placeboing hard or is this a difference balanced vs non-balanced can make?

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #7,509 of 23,608
Keep in mind that I did get the 1950 over the 1960 but if it was just about the 18 then it was the 1960 when I had them side by side. However, all this talk about the 1950 and the 18 makes we want to go back and relisten. :)

Well if you are inspired to do so (and I encourage you :)), please share any updated impressions. As subjective as everything is, it's still informative and of course, fun. In an ideal world I'd get both cables but you can probably guess why that won't happen so easily. :)

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #7,510 of 23,608
I just tried the Noir with a 3.5mm non-balanced and I am enjoying it quite a bit more than I did on the balanced connection... it feels like the instrumental separation is greater, the soundstage is blacker, and I can pick out somewhat more details - at the cost of some warmth and a certain energy that seems to be missing from the instruments. Am I placeboing hard or is this a difference balanced vs non-balanced can make?
I would presume it's entirely possible to have that kind of difference, which would be completely dependent on the circuitry of the source you are using.

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #7,511 of 23,608
I would presume it's entirely possible to have that kind of difference, which would be completely dependent on the circuitry of the source you are using.
That's very interesting, thank you for the reply!

I will experiment some more with balanced vs unbalanced on my other IEMs, but so far unbalanced seems much more down my alley

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #7,513 of 23,608

It all depends on how the DAP's circuit was designed. For example, I prefer the brighter, more engaging tonality on my AK70's single-ended output, versus its warmer, more laid-back, balanced output. On my modded WM1A, I prefer the balanced connection's more refined top-end and superior instrument separation. On the LPGT, the 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs are tonally identical, with superior separation and holography on the balanced output. So yeah, it's all dependant on the source.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #7,514 of 23,608
It all depends on how the DAP's circuit was designed. For example, I prefer the brighter, more engaging tonality on my AK70's single-ended output, versus its warmer, more laid-back, balanced output. On my modded WM1A, I prefer the balanced connection's more refined top-end and superior instrument separation. On the LPGT, the 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs are tonally identical, with superior separation and holography on the balanced output. So yeah, it's all dependant on the source.
Yeah I’m also on an AKSR15, so I might be experiencing the same thing. Ever since I tried unbalanced I’ve been absolutely amazed by the Noir and what it can do

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #7,515 of 23,608
Anyone got any tips for cable pairing with fourte? I am looking forward to trying them out a lot and I suppose I will use r4 at home and 1950 at other times.

Extremely excited to finally hear them. So much so that I’m not too worried about having to send u18t off for repair.

If anybody knows of done nice pairing though I am all ears.

I settled for a DHC Symbiote SP V3 OCC Silver 8 Wire. My Fourte now exhibits unreal amounts of soundstage and micro detail.
It may sound bright at times since it is pure silver, but I may be getting used to it already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back